Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tail isn't as wide as most other photos of Kayuni, but look at that COLOR!-it looks fake!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin....6359585

some weird mutation-or otherwise liberties with the colors...

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin....6360358

More eye candy...
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin....6361886

Good ol bitaeniatum
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin....6174190
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I will send out the dvd this weekend. I actually have 2 copies of it but one will not play its sound on my player although it plays fine on other players. I am sending you that copy and if it plays well on your machine then you can just keep it. If not, I will let you borrow the other copy. Postage shouldn't be much on a dvd. Maybe 3 dollars since you need to send them in a box. I also have a good article for you on kafuensis I need to copy for you.

Also, you will soon be getting a big surprise in the mail. Just be sure you have somewhere to incubate some eggs between 74-78 F [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]. There is still a pair or two of Mambova with your name on it too.

Bobby

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggun: I found a styro box in the garage just like the ones you use to ship your fish. I think that that and a heatpack might do the trick.

Providing it is an unventful evening for you, whats your story on how you got into the hobby and eventually into killifish? I would be pretty interested in hearing that to say the least [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

It appears the monties have released another batch-I have fry in about 3 size ranges now. All eating Hikari first bites(worked much better than I expected-they like it!), microworms, and leftovers. What I like about the freeze dried daphnia is the size range-along with the large adults there are also powder fine tiny daphnia that the fry relish.

Thanks! I will keep an eye on the mail.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I think I was born interested in fish. I had goldfish by the time I was 3, a male Betta at 4 and a big bowl with guppies by 5. At 6 I received another 2 gallon drum bowl with a female red brick swordtail. At 7, my first grade teacher had a tank with black mollies, red brick swords and guppies. I was hooked. After that school year my Dad took me to Woolworth's downtown to buy me a 10 gallon set up. This is when tanks were still made from glass and stainless steel. He was on strike that summer so buying a tank was a huge sacrifice. The week after I got the tank I went grocery shopping with my Mom and next to the store a new fish store had just opened that week. I asked to go inside and she let me while she shopped. The first thing I saw was a big tank with one gigantic pair of Blue Gularis (Fundulopanchax sjoestedti) in it. I was transfixed. I had never seen anything so fantastic looking -- the shape, the color and that tail on the male. They were gorgeous. I wanted them so badly. When my Mom came to get me she said we just couldn't afford them then. I couldn't forgot them and I started reading all I could on fish and particularly killifish. I read the great Innes book EXOTIC AQUARIUM FISHES 100's of times -- it is still the book in the old editions (up until 1954). Innes was a wonderful writer and a great hobbyist who loved the fish -- unlike the businessman, make all the money one can, approach of the famous Herbert R. Axelrod. I kept looking for killies in the stores but rarely saw any. If I did it was Aphy. australe. One day about 3 years later I found young Blue Gularis! I raced home and quickly found 3 yards to mow for the money. I then raced to the store on my bike before closing and got myself a fine pair. All I had was two 10's and they got one ten. I even divided it so I could breed them on one side. I tried to breed them but the eggs died. I now know my water was too hard and alkaline. The pair lived a long time and I remember the female slowly died the night the first astronauts landed on the moon. Not too long after that I discovered a new fish magazine aTROPICAL FISH WORLD nd ordered a subscription. In the back of the first issue was an ad for the American Killifish Association. I had never heard of it and I immediately joined for a Xmas present. I was thrilled when the material came as there was a big Fish and Egg Listings where for every little money members traded 100's of killie species with each other all over the country. I could order all the legendary fish from the Innes book -- Golden Pheasants, Argentine Pearl Fish, Peruvian Longfins, Notho. rachovii, and so many more -- and new ones! That was 1969 and I have been a die-hard killie guy ever since. I knew Scheel, Roloff, Foersch and still know LaCorte with 30 years of friendship. At one time I had a 100 tanks of mainly killies, livebearers, tetras and dwarf cichlids. There is not another group of fish close to killies for spectacular color, fascinating behavior, amateur science, ease of keeping and lack of expense to do so. Killies are the cp's of the fish hobby.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Story! I have yet to see Fp. sjoestedi in a petstore-only A. lineatus and A. panchax

My story is much shorter but I'm sure I could retell if you are interested.

When should the DVD arrive?

Also, just curious, but for frozen food, do you prefer cubes or flat packs? I use cubes-but I find it annoying when while popping open one you accidentally tear the foil seal on another...and have to tape it or use both. Resealable flatpacks might be a good option?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Do tell your story. I'd like to hear.

I mailed the dvd and an article on kafuensis today. They should be there soon. Your surprise is being mailed (I think)this weekend so be watching the mail closely the next two weeks. Let me know if the dvd works ok.

Flatpacks. You get more food for less money and its probably better quality since it didn't defrost. I prefer Hikari and I buy 16oz packs. I order 10 at a time from Aquatic Foods (California Blackworms) -- beats the lfs's price by $4 a package.

I have calabarica all over the tank -- like 50. Already 2 people want pairs. With luck it will be spread around again like in the 70's. I sent my Gnatholebias off to friends in LA for their Southern California Killifish Club auction this coming weekend. The mollies are just taking too much space.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby: here's the story.

I was always interested in the lesser animals in general. While I wasn't much of a fan of dogs and the like as a kid, I did really enjoy things like bugs, amphibians, and yes, fish. My first memories of fish involved a few goldfish in a ten gallon tank. Before long, I had managed to persuade my dad to build a pond, and they went into this pond-along with other critters liked crayfish, and a few frogs.

When I was around six, my Grandma set up a 20 gallon(old steel framed tank...still in service) with a group of swordtails. Whenever I was bored, I would watch and feed the swordtails. I remember the day when after she bought them they had fry. Dunno how accurate my memory is, but some of these fry had vertical stripes like those on a tiger barb...they were from a blackish female. The female also threw tuxedos, lyretails, and blacks like herself. We killed most of them(all the tiger striped ones) by putting them in a ten gallon upstairs...prolly do to ammonia spike cause they died off quickly after a week or two. The line went on for at least 7 generations and the ancestors are still at my Grandmas house-though they are now red or red wagtail swords-due to all the other traits purging themselves out. I remember lyretails, a highfin, and a male that lived only one day with us that was a highfin lyretail I'm quite sure. The babies were cute and kept me amused-I remember when I was bored I would set a trap, bait it with food, and remove some for fun. My grandma always had to dump them back in as I forgot about them and they ended up sitting on the table in a little jar for a while.

I eventually moved to a new house a little ways away from the old one-and here we set up a approx 1500 gallon pond-and added goldfish once again. I also kept a dingy ten gallon tank with whatever I managed to catch from the pond. There were mosquitofish in the pond, and I spent many hours attempting to outsmart and outdo them-I like to think i'm skilled with the net [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    They all ended up in the ten gallon but failed to breed due to all the babies being eaten almost immediately. Believe it or not, I eventually extirpitated the little things from the pond unintentionally.

By 4th grade, I was given a gift-my own big tank. It was a 46 gallon bowfront. I had been researching on fish for a while, and was eager to get this tank set up. The first inhabitants were a few rosy red minnows(P. promelas) and crayfish. Eventually, I got zebra danios, white clouds, and finally paradise fish(my first egglayer to breed).

Skipping ahead, I eventually got a ten gallon bedroom tank with a pair of kribensis that I got for 6 bucks from a really friendly LFS guy. He was almost certain they would spawn for me-and they did after a month-I was hooked. I managed to raise 40 fry and trade them in for store credit.

Skipping golden wonders and killi fry in a pond, Heterandria formosa tank which was always active, and many others, I eventually decided it was time to redo the 46. The old lightbulb was just about to burn out, and the fish were mismatched-shattered remains of the community it had been before. I decided to try my first serious planted tank. Eventually, I got a new fixture, driftwood, and a few plants from the ten gallon. Give it a month or so(about 7 months since the reconstructions began), and some really friendly guy offered me fish [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]...

And here we are!

I consider when I bred and raised paradise fish in about 4-5th grade as the starting point of when I began to truly understand the hobby-so that makes about 4 years of experience-and counting.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got your article on Kafuensis! Really nice! Enjoyed photos as well as text. Again, as you stated, Mambova is capable of throwing red, blue and intermediate-thats three forms for the price of one! The one pictured in the article is Red form I assume?

The picture of Chunga was particularly interested-appears as a blood red fish with a fiery orange tail....but the author also mentions highlights on the flanks that he can never seem to capture in photo. Compared to most nothos, this thing is so saturated with reds and oranges it looks fake! I imagine there is some blue irridescence or otherwise more defined scale outlining.

BTw will the nothos need any heating for the winter? I haven't used heaters in a long time(letting my tanks drop to sometimes as low as 65-68 during the winter). The fish that I chose for my setups made it just fine, not to sure on Nothos. Dunno if there are any tiny heaters for critter keepers.

I've cherry picked most of the interesting articles on cincikillies.org...now thats a good Library! If only the krib had a more diverse killifish section.

What do you feed small juveniles when they are at the stage when they can put away alot, but can't tank very large items? The article claims kafuensis are large and can take BBS from birth.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast