Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I received 2 nice young pairs of blue gularis. They look like a good strain -- excellent color and big finnage. Nothing beats an adult blue gularis for color and simple big stunning presence.

I'm getting a red population of the picta. Look at the photo at <Swampriveraquatics>. They are amazingly beautiful. I cannot believe the color and all from one wild male Armando Pou collected last year. I hope they are easy to breed.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

No, never did the vinegar eels. I tried but they stunk. I like bbs and microworms.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, some of the photos of blue gularis are absolutely stunning. I refuse to believe they actually look like that sometimes, so impressive it is.

Btw, for the Red picta, a single male? did he then cross it to a CB female?

BTw, what kind of killies/other fish may work in the 46 gallon with the montys? Any suggestions? i've been thinking of getting some C. pygmaeus to play in the java moss, still undecided though.

I will be setting up the incandescent and test running the critter keeper for the nothos to see how it works.

Also, do nothos like fruit flies? I know that the swords probably will, just toyin with the idea of culturing them.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked at the price listing on BS Direct again, and I was wondering-do you use premium(90%) or economy(70%) hatch eggs? I haven't done the math yet so was wondering what you do. Hmmm...so math actually is useful! LOL

Also, have you ever used decapsulated eggs as fry food? They offer them, but i kinda doubt they are as enticing to the fry as swimming brine shrimp. Do you bother to decap the eggs before hatching?

looked over other stuff, and some of it is pretty interesting-dunno if nothos or other killies will take freeze dried or flakes....even particularly good smelling ones..heheh

http://kinobu.hp.infoseek.co.jp/
    The first pic in this link I'm told shows Rivulus xiphidus and is quite stunning. Apparently needs soft and acidic water, as seemingly everything does...LOL

Btw, have you ever kept R. marmoratus yourself? Ugly things they are, they sound quite interesting being able to survive the conditions of mangrove swamps.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I have used the 70% eggs but prefer the 90% which just means that 90% of the eggs will hatch in 24 hours at 80F. The lower grades take longer to hatch and do not give as many bbs from the eggs. They are certainly good though so if cost is an issue try the cheaper ones. You can always quickly upgrade if you just buy like a 4 oz size to experiment.

I use decapped cysts for 2 + week old livebearer fry. Most killies don't like them alot but some do. Nothos probably wouldn't eat them -- or flakes, freezed dried or fruit flies. Blue Gularis would love flies.

I do not decap before hatching. I think I gave you may hatching method in an earlier post.

R. xiphidus is even prettier than that picture. It likes it hot but soft and acid. Gorgeous fish.

I have seem R marmarotus. It sure is drab. My friend Dr. Bruce Turner keeps 1500 isolated individuals in his lab at the U of West Virginia. He has a site devoted to them. He raised a bucketful of grindal worms to feed them.

Yes, single male red picta bred to normal females from the location. Then they selected for the trait and presto. I am getting red fry and normal fry from the same location.

Blue Gularis would be nice with your swords but would eat the fry -- as would most killies. Gold Australe is a lovely fish and hardy. Gardneri is simple to keep and some locations like harder water but its a baby sword eater. Aphy. striatum is easy and a stunner. Killies are little predators. The pygmy corys will be great. Maybe a second livebearer species? Maybe Apistos? Peacock Gudgeons? Lampeyes?

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the possibilities you mentioned are pretty interesting. I have considered apistos, but haven't taken the plunge as they(little double or triple red caucatoides) cost around 5 bucks here. I've also seen "WC" A. cacautoides, which looked to be very large males too old to bother breeding. I suspect they are fun fish however. Whatever it is, it shouldn't mind cool water.

What second livebearer species would you reccomend? I have heterandria formosa, and while I suspect they would do well they would probably end up taking over. I doubt that I would keep any other Xiphophorus due to hybridization risk. Goodeids sound like a possibility, but seem hard to come by and many get to around 4-5 inches. I would like to try Ameca splendens in my ponds to make that hair algae useful.

Lampeyes are something I know little about-appear to be delicately beautiful, yet delicate, fish. Also said to have short life spans and require consistent breeding to keep them around(so not much room for failures?).

Peacock gudgeons seem to be next to impossible to find. I know that at least 2 people I know have kept them, and they seldom show on aquabid at affordable price and it seems everyone wants them. On the interesting note, have you been observing the "Goo Obo Gudgeon" Auctions? My attention was pricked after noticing that people would pay 100 dollars for a single pair, now it is down to 65 dollars for 6 juvies. Still far off my price range though, esp. if you add in shipping. Also, I would think gudgeons would be predators(or are they very unefficient ones?). At least on aquabid, these 2 are almost equal in price.

One possibility I've considered is Notropis hypselopterus(sailfin shiner) gets to around 2 inches, and I suspect they may be a bit like either tetras or perhaps danios. Dunno if they will try to eat fry or not though.

I have added insulation and a black background to the intended notho tank. Time to pull the incandescent from the garage.

BTw, when will I receive the surprise package? I'm still rather clueless to what could be in it and won't bother guessing to spoil the fun [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

A few pics of n. hypselopterus so you can get an idea of what(I think....hard tell from pics) it is.

http://cars.er.usgs.gov/pics/db_native0391.jpg

http://www.nativefish.org/Gallery/No...lopterus-2.jpg
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Timebomb, N. foerschi and N. korthausae are able to take 10 C...thats pretty cold, dunno if they get that in the wild or not.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

A friend is sending the surprise package so I am not sure. I thought it would be there by now. I think you will be surprised and a bit overwhelmed [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]. I moved the kafuensis Mambova's today. All are the red form and are very pretty. It's a good sex ratio. After you get your surprise let me know if you want 2 pair.

Cacautoides would be a great Apisto as it like hard alkaline water.

I would avoid the goodieds. They will eat all your plants and baby swords. Maybe you'd like some of these Limias or picta if I get them going. I'd do blue gularis once you have a good sword colony going.

Nothos can take the cold but the eggs won't develop or even die and the adults won't breed. They live longer cool! You can keep them at 72-74F and breed a bit warmer.

Your 46 looks great. Makes me wish I had one show tank.

Several Florida farms raise peacock gudgeons -- Ek-Will, 5D. See if your LFS can order from them.

Many lampeyes are long lived and hardy plus they like harder water. They just need it clean and lots of O2. Do some research. I believe there is a lampeye group on yahoo run by an AKA guy. There are so many species.

The shiners are nice.

I have 4 male petenensis and 8 females! Still only 4 male velifera out of 24. The dominate male is blue with an orange head forming. He is only 6 months old. The fin keeps growing until age 2.

Bobby

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast