Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggun: Wow, didn't expect that! I'm guessing it is a few bags of eggs, but am unsure of exactly what...

Great to know about the kafuensis! If you cross red and blue, would you get the wild type intermediate form? I think a mixed strain(providing locations are the same) would be interesting in that you would never quite know what you would get. Also, is there only 1 Mambova collection of N. kafuensis?

I found apistogramma.com and they suggested A. borelli as a possible cooler water apisto. I would really like to be able to see a harem of em. Also, today at the petstore I saw Apistogramma ortmanni(or that was what it was labeled). No specific distinctive thing about them besides they were apistos, but there were quite a few dead on the bottom so I assume they may be WC but didn't speak with the employees...I also saw, among other things, crenicichla, "Mountain gobys", sterbai corys(drool...), clown plecos, and, much to my amazement, Paratilapia polleni(at 8.98 apiece). They were, as I suspected, quite similar to the bluespots only they were darker(pitch black as opposed to a purple black) and maintained that coloration even in the LFS. My only guess is some local aquarist managed to spawn them, then was bored and raised them to 2-3 inches, and dropped them off. There were 2 black ones(one cowering in the bottom corner) and a few light brownish ones which I assumed were females(again, quite similar to bluespotteds if that is the case). My plan is to sell some juvies or pond plants to get store credit and do things with it I wouldn't do with real money(since there food and othe items are pretty expensive)...LOL I saved around 100 dollars in store credit from fry growouts but used some to by food, a heater from Grandma, and the rest pitched in over half the cash for the lights. I will definetly ask the LFS on gudgeons...they order all kinds of weird stuff.

Definelty look into lampeyes.

Edit: I know someone who is raising Oryzias javanicus. Dunno if that would count as a lampeye but to my eyes they look quite similar. I remember a book a read in like 2nd grade by the name of "killifishes" that showed these fish thorought the book. I was a bit puzzled to say the least that I couldn't find anything similar and that all mind had gonopodiums...(mosquitofish ahem...)

The pertensis ratio looks perfect! Velifera ratio is good and there are probably a few late bloomers hiding(if not, you can produce a whole bunch of fry really fast at least). Definetly impressive fish, but I won't have the space anytime soon.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man... theres enough info here to make a book!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I thought your surprise would be there by now. I'm not sending it so I guess my buddy got behind. It will get there.

I think I have all red Mambova babies maybe an intermediate but no blue. These were Bob's eggs. My own eggs are due to hatch in December and it's a bunch so hopefully I will have all forms then. These are so nice though -- intense color. Nothos are the prettiest freshwater fish on earth bar none and they do not hide much! There is only one location of Mambova. Boy, my main male Nanzhila is a stunner -- such big fins and so much blue and bright white.

I'm hatching some N. symoensi tonight. So far it looks good. The little guys are beginning to appear. Symoensi is so pretty. Purple tinted orange bodies.

Oryzias javanicus is not really a lampeyes and the medakas have been taken out of the killie families and put back in a few times. I'm not sure where they stand now. Look at the west African lampeyes especially the P. notaenia (spelling?)

Pygmy croaking gouramis (sparkling gouramis) would be very nice in the tank. Get about 10. They are small but dazzling.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good!

For the DvD...my comp apparently cannot open whatever file is on there...in fact it doesn't know the format it is in. Think I need a special program to open it? There is a compaq DVD player but this still can't recognize the file.

Great to here on the Mambova! If your friends package is manageable I may jump for them. Again, assuming they are eggs.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good!

For the DvD...my comp apparently cannot open whatever file is on there...in fact it doesn't know the format it is in. Think I need a special program to open it? There is a compaq DVD player but this still can't recognize the file.

Great to here on the Mambova! If your friends package is manageable I may jump for them. Again, assuming they(objects in friends package) are eggs.

Btw, in the article you sent, the author mentions "Aquarium Strain Kayuni" contradiction? Not to sure how important the other numbers and letters like ZAM as it claims, say, 17th collection of the year though we don't know where that is. Who keeps records? On a note of interest, a Fp. gardneri egg auction caught my eye as it had a set of letters and numbers attached to a new location code-first time I've seen that for gardneri which is usually labeled something like 'Nsukka'

Also, I'm under the impression Trichopsis pumilus doesn't like things cold? It is a pretty fish and my LFS occasionally carries it. Wonder if P. dayi or cupanus would be more suitable(though they might eat fry).

Also, in Chemistry the teacher brought up something interesting by mentioning how in winter the Plains Indians would erect a small teepe inside a larger one forming what he called an "air jacket"...and he claimed that air is a lousy conductor of heat. Sounds like a thought, so I'm going to redo a bit on the critter keepers "insulation".
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

OK, A COUPLE OF Mambova pairs are yours. They are nice little fatsos.

Pygmy cROAKERS DO like it warm and dayi would be to big and would eat fry.

No one keeps location records really. It's an honor system. Collectors establish a label for their collection which is usually the country, followed by a location, followed by the collectors' initials, followed by the year and the number of the site. Older locations may just have the location by the species name. This was started due to infertility between related populations of one species and for the description needs for scientists when naming new species. ZAM would stand for Zambia; kAYUNI for the area of Zambia where they were collected; letters and numbers for people's names and year and site number.

Yeah, the dvd only plays on some systems. My club is seeing it early next month and then I will loan you the better copy. Try yours on a few friend's dvd's as it plays nicely on some.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggun: Dunno what you mean by a couple pair, but I kinda doubt I would have room for any more than 2 pair.

So what purpose does the site number serve?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Ok 2 pair. The site number is the exact physical location of the population. The number has latitude and longitude, roads, village, etc attached to it in the notes. Any package yet? The picta, vittata and plain monties came in. Look good but small size wise due to feeding more than just age.

Bobby