Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure enough I caught a fleeting glimpse of monty fry darting across the surface-they must be at least 2 weeks old due to the size they are now.

I guess the bluespots could function in the same was as the angels when I start getting overrun. How big are the angels being used? I heard they could swallow things like guppies or white clouds.

No sign of the grindals yet...but they are little things. Would you reccomend putting some food in and finding out?

I also read somewhere that people have mixed walnut shell chips or something similar in with the peat...any input on that? I will probably go 50-50 coconut coir and peat-assuming coir is cheaper-and seems more enviroment friendly then peat. Or I may do a more coir heavy or even try 100% coir if the above works out. Seems that peat is so good for so many uses and nothing can completely replace it.

Good to know about the nothos accepting frozen. I've got blackworms around here.

Btw, how many tanks and what size ones do you usually dedicate to one species?
    The philosophy is interesting. I myself never used a heater on most of my tanks as I have killed around 3 by doing a water change without watching the heater. That got old quick.

Sounds great on the pertensis-when do you suppose they will be at there prime?

May I dare to ask for a complete list of your currently kept fish?

Also, we oughtta save or do something with these conversations-all this info is being passed around.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to a few bluespotted pics.

I have never seen mine get as dark as some of them show.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish....sh.html
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

This is an exciting day for me. I saw my first Scriptoaphyosemion ("Roloffia") "calabarica" baby after 8 months of trying. This is the valid species or population of another species Scripto. liberiensis (depending on who you believe. I think its a unique species and should be called calabarica.) that was imported once into Germany in 1935, survived WWII, was brought to the USA in the early 1950's and was thought lost in the late 1980's but survived in one breeder's tanks in San Francisco and that several of us are trying to re-establish. It is a shy but stunningly beautiful species -- male is forest green/blue body, covered in red blotches with a tail that is edged in yellow on top and bottom. The female is brownish tan with brown marbling. They are just a neat fish although they'd never be popular as they are shy -- not timid -- just shy. Mine are in a 30 gallon tank filled 90% with java moss and java fern with lots of duckweed. The water is rainwater and the temp. is 77F. That's as low as I can get it in summer. I can't wait until winter as it will drop to 72F and the breeding will be better. I'm letting the fry hatch out with the parents as it is the easiest way. I hope this is the start to a prolific few months. This fish is one of the oldest line bred single importation species in the hobby -- if not the oldest. No one knows the original location data as sailors caught it and just brought it to Germany. It is a rare little gem full of history.

I would avoid walnut shell. I tried it once 25 years ago and it packs, gets stinky and sticks to the eggs. Trust me, peat is the best. Coir would be ok in 50/50 portions on short incubation eggs -- no more than 3 months with lots of moisture content checking.

The adult sunfish are beautiful. I see way you like them. It looks like yours have a while to grow.

The Nothos I keep in 2-4 pairs/trio groups in 10 gallon tanks with floating plants and java fern attached to wood. I put a large low plastic container in there with an inch of peat and weighted down with a few round stones under the peat. I collect the peat every 2 weeks to dry some and store away until ready.

I hatch the fry in shallow plastic storage trays that are about 10x12x6 in 2 inches of water. I use soft acid water to hatch (half gallon to gallon of rain water with a pint of hard alkaline water mixed in). I add some najas plants and after the fry hatch and are eating I add some pond snails for clean up. After 3 days I start adding a pint of hard alkaline water each day to slowly switch them to my tap water chemistry. In 2 weeks I am ready to put them in a 10 gallon tank with a corner filter going very slowly and with lots of plants. I add snails. If there is alot of fry (50+), in a week or 2 I will split them into 2 tens. You want to be sure female Nothos get food and room as the males dominate them and the food so feed well on live baby brine and frozen food as they grow. Change water 50% once a week and adjust the air flow up a bit as they grow but Nothos do not like water movement at all. That's it.

Yeah, feed the grindals and see.

The petenensis are about 2-3 inches now and need to go into a 30 today. I bet they will be full size in 9 months. I can't wait to see them. They have a beautiful graceful shape.

I have:

Poecilia petenensis
    Poecilia velifera
    Poecilia latipinna x petenensis
    Xiphophorus nezahualcotyl
    Xiph. montezuma "Ivory Mottled"
    Phalloceros caudimaculatus reticulatus
    Koi Veil Angels
    Albino Angels
    Gold Marbel Pearl Scale Angel
    Malpuluta kretseri
    Gnatholebias zonatus "Apure"
    Fundulopanchax fallax (orange and yellow forms) "Fifinda 2003"
    Callopanchax occidentalis "Magenta"
    Nothobranchius kafuensis "Mambova"
    Notho. kafuensis "Nanzhila"
    Fundulopanchax arnoldi "Calabar"
    Nothobranchius symoensi "Zambia"
    Simpsonichthys whitei
    Maraecoara lacortei "Formoso de Araguaia"

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good! Impressive list!

Where would you find peat? Never seen it. But then again plants arent really my thing....except Cps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] but I always bought em potted. I assume plant spawners are usually considered easier than annuals or "switch spawners"? Many of the aphyoseimon and fundlopanchax are also quite attractive, but other than A. australe, F. gardneri, sjoestedi and some others its hard to find full bodied articles on em. I love full bodied articles-as opposed to quick bits profiles. Have you had experience with our own native Fundulus and lucania by any chance? Certainly not quite as attractive as many of the exotics, but at least they put up a good fight.

You posted about those "Roloffia" earlier, glad to see you had success! Your description makes em sound lovely.

My folks are making me move my stuff out of my room now...so everything will be on one of those restaurant racks downstairs. Hard to tell if thats a good thing or not(will miss keepign a tank on my bookshelf)...but with everything together and organized it will start to look like a "fish and CP shelf"

For the Nothos, I assume you start em off on BBs and microworms? Have you heard or what they call Cyclopeeze? I've heard of some peoples experiences(ranging from that it worked very well to all the apistos did not eat it). I've also heard of something else called Golden Pearls...said to replace brine shrimp in clownfish aquaculture. I think its best to stay skeptical for now. However, I hear tell brine shrimp are being overharvested.

BTw, why did you say X. montezumae"Ivory mottled". The way 'Marlin' says it is 'Ivory'. Is this a made up name?

I pulled over 20 water lettuce plants from the tank when the ulvaceus plant began throwing smaller leaves on longer stems. Found someone who wants em. But I'm sure I will have to continue harvesting. I've been thinking of replacing it with riccia, which if it ran wild would be better suited to trades and store credit(and stay thinner than water lettuce and not block the view too much). Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found this pic, kinda blurry, but shows pretty darn close to life colors.

1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

Yeah, I just do not get the "ivory" name. I think you have to include some reference to the spotting. The unspotted strains could be called ivory although Marlin has some "commercialized" name for those too.

I have tried cyclopeeze both frozen and freeze dried. I hate it. Overpriced and fish did not really like it. Same with golden pearls, although they are ok in larger sizes -- like a small pellet food. Decapped brine shrimp eggs are the best along those lines for older fry. Killie fry just need live baby brine shrimp and some microworms. Baby grindals work too after a couple of weeks. But baby brine is the foundation of fry raising -- period. It is to fish what RO water is to cp's.

Peat Moss is easy to find at any nursery. Buy the half bushel size 100% pure spaghnam peat moss from Canada. I like a brand called Premeir. It comes in a black plastic bag. Just read the label to be sure its all peat.

Brine shrimp harvesting is strictly controled on Salt Lake as it is big business and an environmental issue. Plus brine shrimp are found all over the world. I've used South American and Chinese eggs at times.

I think annuals are easier than plant spawners as annuals conditioned well are non stop breeders. Plant spawners are more labor intensive with collecting and watching over eggs in water and they lay a few eggs a day. You can set up plant tanks with soft acid water and just let a few fry too many fry appear -- depends on species. Plant spawners have great color but annuals do too and have great behavior. Blue Gularis are a great choice -- big, rough and gorgeous with just 6-8 weeks peat incubation. F. gardneri is easy. Aphy. striatum is beautiful and easy. Australe is nice but can be tricky. Fun. filamentosus is pretty and easy. I'm just an annual fan. I do well with peat spawners. I guess after 30 years I just have the knack down. But Blue Gularis are a great choice -- one of my all time favorites.

The shelf sounds great. Maybe you can get a whole area going and a little fish room.

I'd drop the water lettuce. Try some nice water sprite. If I get my floating water fern going well again -- down to 3 small plants -- it is a great one. But like the lettuce it covers alot of space. Regular floating water sprite is the best. Riccia gets messy as it blows apart too easily. But Riccia full of O2 is pretty.

Look at the Cincinnati Killifish Club's link on the AKA webpage. They have alot of articles. http://www.cincikillies.org. The <Nothobranchius Information Centre> has LOOOOOOOOOOONG articles on each species as does Tim Addis' <Killifish of Western African> site. Also look at the <Roloffia Homepage> and the <South American Annuals> or <Cynolebias Group> webpage.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Ivory sounds exotic-ya know...like Ivory soap [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] .

Interesting analysis of the peat spawners...guess that is true. I remember with the lineatus every night I would be picking eggs from the mop.

I've always been interested in blue gularis as the finnage and coloring is very nice-but everyone else seems to be too. Nothobranchius are just plain stunning in colorwise though-some of the photos make it look like the things are lit with neon from the inside. I'd love to see that courtship display and how they put the eggs under the peat! I've read a few articles at the Notho info Centre...interesting stuff...kinda confused with all the location info stuff though. Do the nothos spawn in peat in the wild? Whats the habitat like?I'm getting the impression of tropical vernal pools on the plains or something.

Are there any beginner killies that have large fins? I've seen pics of bitaenitum(sp.) but I doubt its a beginners killie.

Seeing you are offering me young pairs as opposed to eggs, is starting from eggs risky? I know that if you fail the first time you can wait a bit and rewet the peat...but its hard to see on some auctions how you can pay 1.00 for an egg...when its 4.00 for a fish.

BTw, do you s'pose the location coded killifish could end up being used for reintroduction programs of sorts?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

Contact David Ramsey in Georgia for Blue Gularis and tell him I sent you. Look for David's webpage under Fundulopanchax as he is the AKA's Fundulopanchax guy. Also Doug de Silva in San Francisco has blue gularis. His webpage is www.killiezone.com. David Mikkelson in Oregon raises alot of blue gularis. Don't waste your money on Aquabid.

Notho pools are usually full of weeds and have a muddy, sandy, mulm bottom. Some are open pools and others are shaded. Some are obvious and some are hidden in grasy fields. Peat just mirrors the bottom the best in the aquarium.

Bitaenitum (spelling) is a fairly easy species to breed in soft acid water. I can check on the easiest locations for breeding if you want. Australe has long fins. Blue Gularis has great fins and is easy. Look at Striatum -- very easy and gorgeous. Also Aphy. gabonense gabonense (spelling) is good and has long fins.

Eggs are good if from a good source who sends good eggs. I like eggs from some people and fish from others. I think you will have more fun with young pairs so you can see the whole process. Nothos are hardy with clean water, good food and low air flow. People have trouble with them if they feed poorly and don't change water.

There is the thought of keeping location codes for reintroduction but it is mainly for scientific needs in describing species and fear that different populations of the same species will interbreed and produce infertile eggs and/or fry -- it has happened as some locations almost seem like different species.

Bobby

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast