Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the bottom is a picture of a 'Mambova ' which doesn't look to different from the Kayuni state farm at a glance...this is almost like a blind date trying to tell what these locations look like!

http://www.killi.co.uk/SpeciesDetails.php?ID=459

Found this picture-one of the few pictures of blue killies which I feel did the specimen justice while still looking realistic

http://www.alfanita.com/fiskar/n_eggersi.htm
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Interesting: There are about as many theories on belly sliders as there are influential hobbyists...what do you think?

I have no idea. For 30 years it was hatching the eggs too early. Now its hatching too late. Then some fry recover after a few days and some never do. Some fish become bellysliders when adults -- like one female Nanzhila kafuensis and one female zonatus this week.

Quote[/b] ]
    AS for warm areas, I will only know in the winter. I know that my mom lets the house go down to about 68 or so, and my current fish can take that just fine? I can borrow a heater from my grandmas and give the incubator a shot-or earn some store credit on a batch of swordtails...which I hope will reach saleable size before winter. I've heard killifish in general are fine with lower temps than normal-does that apply to Nothos?
    Yes, Aphyosemions and their relatives can do 68 F just fine with some mountain species even lower -- like Diapertons and A. jorgenscheeli from Gabon. Nothos like the low to mid 70's. Gn. zonatus like it 82F. So its a range.

Quote[/b] ]
    I haven't seen many koi angels in the shops and most of the barely have any orange to fit for the name koi. Good luck with yours!
    These are fine. Very tall, long fins with lots of white, black and orange and very calm. I love them. They are like 12 inches tall.

Quote[/b] ]
    Nothos sound like ideal fish to share some space on this rack.

Yes, they are a perfect killie. Pretty, bold, hardy, prolific.

Quote[/b] ]
    Also, with so many fry, have you ever considered auctioning them off or trading them? I remember a few auctions on there for fry that people actually bidded on. You could offer a batch of 20 and see if any would take it. Too bad you couldn't provide a pic of your adults though.
    I'd rather do pairs. i just put the arnoldi, lacortei and whitei in to hatch. Now whitei are an easy annual to start with. I am also ordering a bunch of eggs from Bob Morenski in North Dakota. He is a premeir Notho guy. I'm getting more symoensi to cross with mine, Kafuensis Chunga, Kafuensis Kayuni ZAM 97-9 and Orthonotus MOZ 99-8. They are all $12 a bag plus postage and Bob's eggs usually hatch from 30-50 fry. His email is rmmorski@restel.net if you are interested. Postage is $4 on the first bag and a dollar for each additional bag. He has about 25 different species available as eggs -- Nothos and other species.

I've never kept eggersi but it is pretty. That's a bad picture of Mambova.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

I got a huge hatch of Simp. whitei -- 100's and 100's and a nice hatch on the M. lacortei and Fundulopanchax arnoldi (Calabar location). The lacortei seemed to jump out of the eggs. I've never seen fry hatch out so fast -- less than an hour. The arnoldi are a new population and not distributed yet so a good hatch was important as only a few are around from one pair that came into Canada last year.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

Looks like 300-500 whitei fry; 50+ lacortei fry and 40+ arnoldi fry. I am over run!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Yikes! Now is that a good or bad thing?

Gotta look up simp. whitei. and lacortei Are they demanding fish? Also, do yours have a location?

Btw, when they sell eggs, have they already been incubated(therefore you could remove them from the box, and hatch them), or do you have to incubate?

Thanks! Great to see you are acquiring N. kafuensis 'Chunga'-how do 'Kayuni' Look?

Now 5 monty fry swimming around in the tank, but the 2 young females are flat as boards today...so I should see more.

Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Quote[/b] ]
    Yikes! Now is that a good or bad thing?

The whitei are too many, you should see the half filled 10 gallon I hatched them in. I wish I had a camera as it is too funny. Wall to wall fry. I had to add air already and Saturday they will be going into a 30 gallon.

The lacortei are great as it is a rare fish, although 2 months incubation at 80-84F has hatched maybe 100 so I wonder why it is rare -- might be sex ratio problems. They are all over. The arnoldi are great as we need to get this location distributed.

Quote[/b] ]
    Gotta look up simp. whitei. and lacortei Are they demanding fish? Also, do yours have a location?
    Whitei is EASY! Lacortei is suppose to be hard and arnoldi is fairly easy. All have locations. Whitei are "Varzea das Moches". Arnoldi are "Calabar". Lacortei are "Formosa something something" I have to look it up. Whitei are F2's, lacortei are F2's and arnoldi are F2's.

Quote[/b] ]
    Btw, when they sell eggs, have they already been incubated(therefore you could remove them from the box, and hatch them), or do you have to incubate?
    Usually you have to incubate as it is better to send new eggs than developed eggs with all the air pressure changes and stuff in shipment but some send developed eggs and it still works so go figure.

Quote[/b] ]
    Thanks! Great to see you are acquiring N. kafuensis 'Chunga'-how do 'Kayuni' Look?
    "Kayuni" is just a later collection around the Kayuni State Farm site but the farm was broken up by then so they just used "Kayuni" when they recollected there. They might be a bit more blue and have a more marbled coloring on the body.
    Now 5 monty fry swimming around in the tank, but the 2 young females are flat as boards today...so I should see more.

I'm also getting some blue gularis and Callopanchax huwaldi (a golden pheasant relative).

Bobby
    Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked up the whitei, beautiful fish! From the pics, it appears that they are black blue with white spangles. Seeing you got 300-500, how long did that take for the female(s) to fill the peat with that many

Btw, have you seen any gularis with locations attached?

I saw some pretty good pics of 'Chunga' online-will have to get them and see what you think.

Also, does the commonly stated 'fact' that you are best of with trios hold true? I hear tell that notho males(along with some other killies) are very aggresive and will spawn out a female and then batter her till she is shredded up.

Also, are you sure macroacara is the correct name? I did a search using it and found nothing-but then used cynolebias lacortei and found a website labeling them as maretocara(sp.) lacortei
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]
    Looked up the whitei, beautiful fish! From the pics, it appears that they are black blue with white spangles. Seeing you got 300-500, how long did that take for the female(s) to fill the peat with that many
    The peats were in the tanks for about a month. I was spawning a male and 3 females in 2 tanks. I bet if I redry there are even more fry to be hatched. I found out today that my location of whitei is really another very closely related species called Simpsonicthys papiliferus. They were separated about 3 years ago into 2 species. A Brazilian hobbyist friend of mine corrected me.

Quote[/b] ]
    Btw, have you seen any gularis with locations attached?
    Not really. The Japanese may have a new line from wild stock but no one brings in wild blue gularis. I've been trying to get them for 3 years. So all location data right now is suspect. All species do not need location data to be worthwhile.

Quote[/b] ]
    I saw some pretty good pics of 'Chunga' online-will have to get them and see what you think.
    Well, if I get mine and hatch alot you'll be welcome to some. Or wrote to Bob Morenski yourself and get eggs or pairs. Do it now as he is far north and cannot ship in a few more weeks.

Quote[/b] ]
    Also, does the commonly stated 'fact' that you are best of with trios hold true? I hear tell that notho males(along with some other killies) are very aggresive and will spawn out a female and then batter her till she is shredded up.
    On the whole very true except with some species where the extra girls become egg eaters. That fault is more common in plant spawners than soil spawners.

I have too many fish! I see around 15 baby monties now. They are really good looking fish when fully mature. My males are beauts.

Bobby

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast