Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting...I saw one sight that divided it up in to a whole bunch of names-among which was S. bokermanni(only one I remember cause it was distinct). Shows how useful location data can be sometimes!

I'm not sure if I can write him as the folks are a bit thin on permission but I will give it a shot. I assume he sends his unincubated and that I have 5 months time till they can be hatched?

Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Interesting...I saw one sight that divided it up in to a whole bunch of names-among which was S. bokermanni(only one I remember cause it was distinct). Shows how useful location data can be sometimes!
    Very much. There has been a great discusion going on about just this on "Killitalk" the AKA's list serve. You can join for free on the AKA webpage. All the Brazilian hobbyists are really talking and they know so much about their fish.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    I'm not sure if I can write him as the folks are a bit thin on permission but I will give it a shot. I assume he sends his unincubated and that I have 5 months time till they can be hatched?
    Bob Morenski is a 30 year member of the AKA and one of its best breeders. He has been an officer in the club many times. He has a great dvd program on breeding Nothos that you can order as an AKA member. He breeds maybe 50 species of killies. He is trustworthy. Just mention my name Robert (Bobby) Ellermann if you mail him. He just emailed me that I will be getting the eggs so if you can't talk to him I will have them soon enough. The Mambova are growing fast. They will be sexable soon.

All my new fry are pigging out on bbs! Some of the calabarica fry are already sexable! That is fast for a plant spawner.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let my folks know(actually, I've been casually filling my dad in on these unusual fish that lay eggs that can survive the dry season etc. etc. which is enough to keep him interested during long car drives [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img])-but note that this in mainly "in theory". I have yet to have permission to set up the 10 gallon tank(assuming this is the most important)...unless I shift people around and make room. Its possible that I'll move the bluespots to the pond for the winter...lots of live food in there. However, I would like to bring them back in spring for spawning...so I cna have more control over conditions.

Currently all that I have empty would be 1 2-3 gallon "Critter Keeper" and a few misc sweater boxes that are probably 3-5 gallons. I think that would work for simply keeping a single pair(but I would need peat for eggs), but I think I would need more space to raise healthy juvies...right?

some species which are lookers in photos(and in my mind).

N. kafuensis...all of them seem pretty attractive, I'm imagining blue green fish with red patterning, but chunga with a fiery orange tail stands out.

N. rachovii: Nice looking, but sound more difficult than the rest 'Beira 98' in particular is common though.

N. eggersi: Hard to choose from these, but the blue forms are particularly nice.

N. kirki: AKA gallery has 2 nice photos of this notho
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By pure luck I ended up at Walmart and bought a bag of Canadian sphagnum peat today. Whoot!

This pic shows what looks like a quite old male of Kayuni State farm location-impressive to say the least-can I say halfmoon killifish?

http://www.bka.org.uk/graphics/intro8.jpg

And this should be Chunga-looks like a good foto to me!
    http://dkg.killi.org/starthi....nga.jpg
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Good luck on operation parental permission. How are the grindals? Any life? It is hard to beat rachovii for looks. Only reality really captures them. Dr. Barry Cooper in Oregon has a number of rachovii populations and is a great guy. Rachovii is just harder to raise as the fry are tiny and need green water/paramecium/rotifers plus bbs for a few days. Eggersi is pretty. I'd avoid kirki as it is usually a weak species.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for the peat, you boil it, and it sinks?

Is there any method to keep the peat contained and still be able to observe the fish spawning?

Juggling kafuensis and rachovii right now.

No sign of the grindals. However, a fellow hobbyist offered to send over a culture of vinegar eels. Might be a good emergency live food if microworms suddenly croak out of if I forget to do another starter.

BTW, for the microworms, I switched over to white bread with oatmeal topping. No real difference, for the most part wasteful little me tends to clean up and reset them long before they have a chance to mold(when the worms refuse to climb the plastic)
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to a few members on killies.com, N. kafuensis is one of the more shy/difficult ones. However, there was someone who mentioned guentheri as being hard for him...so who knows

Edit: Also, have you or do you know anyone who has had experience with any betta species besides splendens? A place near me carries among others B. imbellis, smaragdina, and wild B. splendens(but I was never comfy enough to ask due to cigarette smoke). However, at 8 dollars each that isn't something I will jump into lightly. Also, I wonder what that smoke must do to the fish, bettas in particular.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I don't think kafuensis is that hard. It has a longer incubation period but is less aggressive than other Nothos. I keep males together with not too much trouble if they are raised together. They might need a little softer water to breed than most Nothos but then so do cps.

I have bred Betta strohi one of the mouthbrooding Betta species. I liked it alot. It was 4 inches and jet black. It needed very soft acid water and a quiet location. The species you mentioned are all so close to splendens and spawn the same way. They might need soft acid water. Try 80F. Use a half filled 10 with a bare bottom painted a dark color outside, lots of java fern and water sprite (or any floating plants). Float a 4x4 inch square of plastic wrap on top of the water for the bubble nest. Put a submergible heater in. Place the male in the tank and the female in a quart jar in the tank. When the nest is made net out the female and put her in the tank without ruining the nest. When they breed remove her very carefully and let the male tend the nest. Keep a little light on 24/7. Keep the tank covered. When the fry are free swimming (horizonal) remove the male. Feed green water and bbs from day one. Stop the green water when you see orange bbs bellies on the fry. Add snails for housecleaning. Keep the water clean and away you go.

Wild Bettas are expensive but $8 is high for those. Check around the lybrinth (spelling?) fish sites on the web like the Anabantoid Association of Great Britain and the German Lybrinth Association. You might get better deals there. I'd look at the cocinnea/ rubrians (spellings!!) group of bubble nest bubbling Bettas.

I agree Paradise Fish are gorgeous!

Bobby

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast