Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for an update. The males now all have little swords with pigment on them now. No color in the dorsal yet. Wonder when they will get that?

The final count is 2 females.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a few pics today! The male is awesome! I feel kinda bad taking the pics as it makes it harder to watch the incredible display! The spotted dorsal fin is pretty high now! Gotta love the spots!

"Hey! Don't run away yet! I'm not finished..."

"Hah! Gotcha! Can't run away like that!"

"As you can see, I'm the best guy in this tank.......Hey! Where are you going!"

One of the young males. He reminds me of a nezzie swordtail with that little sword. Hard to imagine he will someday be as big as the male in the tank!

One of the 2 females.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Nflytrap,

Great photos! They are developing well. The little female looks great. I bet its a pretty tank.

You know my large nezzie males (3") get a 2-3 inch sword that is solid orange and slightly makes a gently sloping curve up. Big nezzies are quite a sight -- spotted and unspotted. They behave more like friendly platies than the usual more nervous swordtails.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've seen a couple of pics of nezzie swordtails. I like the way that the sword curves upward. By all orange you mean the swords lack black pigment?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it has a black line on the edges. Most pics do not do the nezzies justice at all. They always show weak, small, colorless, runts. Mine are robust whoppers.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think I should try the 2 cull fry in the pond? If they survive, I will remove them and put in better fry. I may also add a young male. Do you have any experience with keeping them outside?

I suppose if I succeed I will have more than I know what to do with. A few people on the other forums asked if I was going to sell or trade any fry. I've never shipped fish before though.

Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Nflytrap,

I would cull the bent fry. I have had 2 curved spine fry out of 100's so that gene is there. I wouldn't breed it. I would definitely put fry outside when you get some as these fish can stand temperatures down to 65F and they'll grow so well there.

Are you sure the sunfish won't eat the swords or their fry? My impression of sunfish is that they are terrible carivors. Is this a drawf species?

I hope you can get alot of fry and send the monties around. If you have the sunfish in the tank, you may have to set up a separate tank for the females to be placed to drop their fry.

Sorry no digi camera -- no camera! My set-up is nothing special -- very functional. There are three 55's, one 58, four 30 longs, two 29's, and fifteen 10's -- 25 tanks. I have 30 empty tanks in the garage if I need more. All the tanks are on 2 tank holding wrought iron standard stands. They are either black bottom or have an ultra thin layer of natural gravel. All thanks have plants but they are in clay pots, on drift wood or floating. That's really it. Most tanks are breeding colonies are raising tanks so they are designed for easy fast cleaning, water changes and growing fry.

How is that thin leaf hygro I snet you doing? Looks like my narrow leaf java fern survived the velvet's salt bath -- thank goodness.

I moved some Gnatholebias zonatus fry out of their hatching container yesterday and I thought there were only 9 fry but there were 16. If you've never seen a zonatus photo look it up -- a large beauty from Venezuela. The eggs take 5 months to develop -- or longer.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sunfish I told you about is a smaller species. It grows to only about 3inches. According to the owner, they are pretty close in temperament to dwarf cichlids, but are only aggressive during breeding season. I'll be getting 6 little juvies. They probably will eat fry, but I doubt they will be very efficient. I hope to try them outside when I get more...and pass them around a bit if I'm successful.

I believe by dwarfs you are talking about Elassoma. These guys are really small...like 1 1/2inch or so in size. If you ever have any tank space, I would say to give them a try. I'd be willing to bet that if you started with juvies you would have pretty good luck.

Today, the female you sent has a flat belly(from a very plump one yesterday). I've looked around and have seen fry twice. I think they may be premature...as there bellies were pretty large and they hadn't filled there swimbladders when I saw them. So far, I've only seen the fry twice, so I think that a pretty good portion were eaten by the adults. Maybe I'll have to add more cover...right now the cover is mostly superficial.

The narrow leaf hygro is growing quite well. However, some of the leaves that were on when they were shipped now have lots of holes in them like they've been skeletonized. I have ramshorns, but I'm not sure if they are doing the damage. I've also thought about nutrient deficiency.

The java fern is doing well

I'll keep you updated.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast