Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long with out food?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I will be leaving soon on vacation and no one will be here to feed my fish. Can a betta survive 6 days with no food? The last time i can feed him would be on saturday morning before i leave and i wont be able to feed him again until friday night of the same week. He i used to being fed twice a day. Is there some other way i can feed him. I would have for him to die. So far i have not been able to find anyone who can feed him while im gone.

Any other solutions than leaving him unfed would also be welcome.

Thanks,
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy one of those weekly feeders at the pet store. LArge, white brick. Should be able to feed a single betta for a week.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the vacation blocks are available. better to underfeed than overfeed - especially when there is no one around to replace water if necessary. fortunately, Bettas have the breathing apparatus to cope with less than clean water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i thought about those, but he is a very picky eater, he wont eat anything but the hikari betta pellets. I tried other foods and he wont touch them. Do you think he will switch over when he gets hungry enough?

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone has a picky eating fish, just feed him the stuff you want him to adjust to. a few days of not eating and he'll start eating the other food

Edit: Whoops, still not logged on...

If he were my fish. I would leave him for 6 days without food. That is much better than trying vacation feeders IMHO. The blocks are not exactly very tasty, and if they are refused you will probably come home to a dead fish. I heard they can also alter the water chemistry by raising the hardness.

Fish can easily go for a weekend or 2 without food. Unless you are dealing with small fry or small fish, then there is no need to worry. I have accidentally starved a group of heterandria formosa for a week and a half with no casualties....just very hungry fish. Even the juveniles made it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Betta can easily survive that. In fact some of the instructions I have seen on the vase/plant combo have suggested feeding once a week with a pinch of those tiny pellets.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do NOT use those "vacation feeders"!!!!
    they suck, will only make your tank a dirty mess, the fish wont eat it, and leaving all that junk in your tank for a week will only dirty the water to the point that your fish could die..
    The only thing those vacation feeders are any good for is relieving you of some of your money..(actually, thats also the only reason they even exist in the first place)

fish can go a week without food with no problem at all..
    I have left my discus without food for 2 weeks..just had someone come in to water the house plants and make sure the aquarium filters were running..but I didnt ask them to feed my fish!
    the best thing you can is make sure the tank is really clean, do a good water change, feed *lightly* before you leave, then just go away and dont worry..
    having a clean tank with no food (and also fish producing very little waste because its not eating) is MUCH MUCH better than having a big chalky block of whatever those awfull feeders are, fouling the water..
    clean tank and no food is the way to go.

How big is the tank?
    is it at least a 10 gallon with a real filter and a heater?
    if its just a tiny bowl..then well...you have other problems..

http://www.thekrib.com/Food/vacation.html

http://www.solodvds.com/fish_tank/vacations.asp

http://groups.google.com/groups

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast