Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding fish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up an aquarium from my sister who called it a twenty gallon. The rough size is 12"Wx16"Hx36"L. This seems to be a bit bigger than a twenty. The next problem is she kept a rat in it. When I clean my tanks I use table salt and scrub them out thoroughly.Also it is missing a small quanity of the sealant on the bottom. Well,looking at it again I would say about 3'. In various area's. One side is totally gone. I haven't filled it yet to find out if it leaks or if this is not a problem. I am thinking I have to repair it. I am afraid it might not leak until it is full and then I have a mental image of it blowing apart. I think I will pick up some sealant anyway. Any feedback on this?
    Angry Machines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my goldfish died.
    Angry Machines

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My condolences. Somehow I missed this topic. Both Scottytchaos and Elgecko offer sound advice. I add to it a couple more things. First a question: Was there filtration? People are always winning goldfish at fairs and they put them in a goldfish bowl or small tank. Often it doesn't have a filter and pump set up. Even though they know to "age" the water for chlorine, they are often clueless about the other bio-chemical dynamics. A typical scenario is a 35 year old father who brings his 10 year old son into a pet shop to put new fish into the 10 gallon tank set up the kid just got for Christmas. Apparently, the old man had fish when he was a kid and has enough knowledge to be dangerous and confused. They will want to put fish in the tank right away, unawares of the danger of doing so.

This is where the "aged water" concept comes in. It isn't aged water that is important. It is an aged filter medium that is. For on the surface of the filter media is where the bio-chemical action is taking place. When you introduce a "critter" to the tank, it begins to metabolize; that is, harmful produce waste products - particularly, ammonia. Nitrosamonos bacteria break down the the ammonia into also toxic nitrates. This is when you visibly see a "cloudy" tank and fish often die. This is also referred to as "new tank syndrome." After this stage, nitrobacter bacteria breaks down the nitrates into safe nitrites. This process takes a few weeks and is a necessary (ntirogen) cycle for a fishtank to go through. An ammonia test kit, which includes tests for nitrate and nitrite can tell you where in this cycle your tank is. Amount of fish and etmperature also affect activity.

This activity is taking place on your filter. Simply transferring aged water to a tank with a new filter won't change the situation. Taking relatively "new" water and adding it to an aged filter, however, does. I know, becazuse I conducted an experiment with saltwater tanks. Tried it both ways. Learned the hard way that you need the biochemical action in order to progress and add more fish.

Fins DO grow back, but often they don't look aas good as the "original equipment."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put new fish in ten gal tank. I had other fish in twenty gal tank. I set up a 30 gal + tank for them, I thought it would be good idea to put them all together in 20 gal before moving them into bigger tank. That night they were all gasping on the bottom. I put my big goldfish in new tank,left the gold carp in the twenty and the new fish back into the 10. They were all dead by morning. I don't know what happened. I usually set two 5 gal buckets out with water for 3 or 4 days before water change. I didn't use filtration. Never have. Didn't think it was that important. I just suctioned gravel out once amonth or so and added fresh (aged) water. This always seemed to work. I guess I better hit the books before I get more fish.
    Angry Machines

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear that. The biological load was too much for them to handle. They were basically living in their own waste products. Changing water is helpful, but not enough. It helps with symptoms but not with the cause.

Next time just get a filter and pump or a large filter, along with an ammomia test kit - and go slowly. Introduce one fish and let the bacteria do their thing. Monitor the toxins levels. This happens all the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12