Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. - JOE POST PICS!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin and Joe,

Dustin, get the mollies into a 10 at least and add live baby brine shrimp to the diet. With microworms you have to be good at water changing as they do create bacteria blooms. Mollies hate nitrAtes. Feed the guys 2-3 times a day. Feed them tiny pieces of everything they will eat but get the bbs or at least de-capped bs cysts from <brineshrimpdirect.com> They will eat the de-capped but unhatched sinking cheaper cysts. Killies really will not but mollies will. What is the temp.? 77-82F works best for mollies in tanks. Put snails in there to clean stuff up. With good food and room you will get good fish. Space does effect growth even with water changes. You get bigger fish in roomier tanks. Folded fins are a water problem! The fish will not grow well if the fins stay folded. Maybe a tsp of salt per gallon would be good right now but not for always. Salt kills bacteria which helps the water quality which is why people started using it as a cure-all back in the 1920's. It helps the symptoms but masks the real cause.

All the fish, Joe, will like a summer outside but be sure the Nothos get enough food as they are finicky and no fast water movement. You can have around 3-5 pairs of Nothos in a 10 but with male aggression you may find a male and 2-4 females to be best. Orthonotus are bullies and even kafuensis are pushy. Symoensi are pretty calm. (MMMM mine look good again being all purply orange.) The main thing with room is male aggression and water quality.

Did you redry the eggs again? The Mambova peat I hatched and then gave a guy here hatched 40 more fry after a month plus he collected 40 more eggs from it and sent them to Bulgaria. He still sees eggs in the peat. It was a peat from 1 male and 3 females spawning for a month -- could be 100's. I hope you get better results soon.

Rosario LaCorte was my mentor as a kid from the time I was 12. He started in the hobby in the 40's and used to keep 200 tanks -- as just a hobby -- breeding around 60 species of fish. He is the world's expert on breeding characins and is one of the legendary killie guys. He has collected in Brazil 8 times and has 2 fish named for him. He is in his 70's now and keeps 100 tanks in his basement. He has several species of rare Madagascar Rainbows. Hopefully, I will get some treats. He owes me blue gularis eggs from his superior strain. What are you looking for -- gardneri?

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep: I've redried both Chunga and Kayuni eggs. I think a few Kayuni eggs have eyed upand didn't hatch earlier or have recently eyed up. Hope this hatch is better and I'm more successful.

Wow-100 tanks. I was thinking of some kind of coolwater SAA eggs to try. A Chromaphyosemion species would be great too but either one or the other.

The pygmy sunfish(elassoma. not the bluespotteds) look like they may breed soon. When I woke up today the male was a pitch black with dusky fins...and blue bars on his side-breeding colors. He displayed to the female using a pretty unusual courtship display which involved zigzagging and moving back and forth with the pelvic fins making a walking motion. Female seems plump so hopefully they'll spawn soon.

Pretty cool that this guy taught you the ropes to the hobby an onward when you were around my age. Did he live close to you or stay in contact via letters or something similar?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Wow, Yeah I have seen pics of LaCorte's basement, very nice [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] And if I remember right, his sunroom is full of tanks too!

I will definetly get them into a ten gallon by the weekend. I've been so busy lately Im doing good to have a few mins to send msgs online (its currently 1:27 AM here... taking away from sleep haha)

I was unaware that microworms could cause bacteria blooms.. Could they cause popeye? I have a maylandi that eats alot of micros that has it currently, one of only a few that have it. I am unsure about the temp, being in a critter keeper, they are unheated. Room temp is about 70 degrees. I will remedy that with the 10 gallon. *I really need to clean the basement to use as a fishroom!*

That is cool that you can call him your mentor - not many people can do that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Guys! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd give you an update...

Popped the 'Kayuni' Zam 97/9 into the ten gallon tank and after a few days(dunked on Fri or Sat if I remember right) I've got 4-5 normal fry and a couple bellysliders. They all appear to be doing well on BBS and are growing quickly it seems. Ten gallon tank was definetly a plus, and as you said the fry are able to find the BBS-funny they only have vision that goes around 3 inches though.

Also, thanks to maylandi, I've got a membership in the AKA! Also have got those redworms which should be arriving tomorrow.

The montezumae juvies I raised over here are starting to sex out, I get at least 1 more female(for a total of 4). Since Dustine wants some of these the little juvies running around right now will be his(when his fishroom is up and running).

The everglades pygmy sunfish now have a few fry swimming around in the critter keeper-boy are they tiny. Too small for BBS-they do try to attack them though.

Bluespotted sunfish male is showing some breeding colors-he's looking really nice and has probably doubled in size since last fall. Female shows no interest in spawning though. According to some sites/personal conversation with the original owner they breed from April-August(or for the owner start breeding in May).

Hope to hear back soon
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Well, I made it to nyc and back in one piece. Seeing Rosario again was fun. As usual, he had some fine fish. His large pair of red shouldered severums were stunning. He had about 6 different species of Madagascar rainbows that were very different looking -- very checkerboard. Tetras were everywhere. There was a new white finned rosey tetra type. Some amazing congo tetra species. The Barbus barroides (spelling) were gorgeous -- 2 tanks full of young too. I saw the new Simpsonichthys carlettoi -- color like magnigficus but body/fins like antenori. We went to a local shop that had a few goodies too.

My fish all made it on just 2 feedings. I had fed them well the week before on blackworms and cleaned all the filters and changed all the water. They sparkled when I got back. Now it is time to breed! The symoensi look great -- purple, blue and orange. The mambova are nice although I miss I had more females. They are all intermediate unlike the others that were all red.

Welcome to the AKA -- you will love it. Maylandi is a good guy. Glad to hear the monties are producing girls. My unspotted female managed to drop a few before expiring. I sure hope they put size on the spotted ones in time.

I am overrun with petenensis. How are the latipinna fry, Dustin? The fins looking better?

My little pair of A. nigripinnis made it and the male is getting black. These are great fish.

I hope the kafuensis fry are still doing well. Most peats throw a few bellysliders. Any gularis eggs?

popeye usually means dirty water and/or lack of water changes -- especially with killies and livebearers. They just need lots of fresh water. Its a pain but it is the secret. They are fish that like it clean but not sterile. You should see the mollies go now that their eheims are clean -- amazing difference. I have a male velifera that is 5 inches long and 2 inches thick. He has his gonopodium but won't develop the sailfin. My god, when he does. He will be a king.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby!

Glad to see you had a nice safe trip. Its really neat to know Rosario has all kinds of rare and new species. In the last three months I have realized the HUGE gap between real hobbyists and the regular 10 gal fish keepers. Its amazing.

Thanks for the endorsement Joe really needed the membership, as much as he has helped me along its the least I could do.

The sailfins perked up when I put them in a 10 gal (night after you told me that, i bought a 10 gal special and moved them - thanks for the info AS ALWAYS!) They have fins up and are growing right along. IM going to move them into a 29 gal as soon as the fishroom is up and running. Ive setup a smal fishroom in the basement with a flow through system - fresh water into the aquariums and overflow to the sump. Since were on a country well, there is no reason as this time to use a central filter. Ill put a sponge in each tank as real filtration. 7 - 29 gals & 32 - 10 gals. unsure on 5.5s and 2.5s - but there is room for those as well as an estimated 20 fry boxes.

Ive been keeping up with the water changes for now, that made a huge difference

Have any pics of hte Velifera? Sounds like a great looking fish!

Hope all is well [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear your trip went well! Rosario has a nice selection of fish! I think I read an article on Barbus barroides in either AFM or TFH, forgot which. I'll hope that Simp. carlettoi gets distributed-it sounds like a very nice fish. Did the nigripinnis come from Rosario?

Good luck with the kafuensis and symoensi! My fry are still doing well(but only have 2). They are larger than cooked grains of rice and eat BBS like no tomorrow.They grow quite fast and it seems I can see size differences before and after school each day...hehehe. I originally had maybe 6 but lost them one by one until I upped the concentration of salt-perhaps velvet? I think its almost time to try something bigger on them. I'm hoping they will turn out to be a pair-one is a bit bigger than the other.

I haven't gotten eggs from the gularis-hate to say this but I lost the female in an accident. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img] Real sad as she was a nice looking female compared to many photos I've seen. I will definetly try to see if I can umm...re-pair this guy up.
    I noticed some auctions on Aquabid featuring not only Dwarf Red but something called Dwarf blue(showed a small fish sporting normal blue and orange but the tail lacked the "streamers"). I've heard Dwarf Red is no smaller than normal blue gularis. Has anyone tried selecting for a smaller, more colorful fish but with long streamers unlike the dwarf strains? I dunno how you would go about this though. Choosing smaller fish from a batch could mean choosing the less vigorous ones.

Wow! And I thought the 3 inch latipinna I saw at the LFS were large. I'll be he'll be a stunner.

Hope all is well for you and I'll keep you updated on these kafuensis [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast