Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Hope the work goes smoothly! Let me know what species you got! I'm looking forward to it!

Most of the juvies(as expected) that I reserved turned out to be males. I don't quite see the usefulness of sending them but I could pull a pair(or reverse trio...or 1 female and a bunch of males ) of the monties. 2-3 Females should be enough to keep me safe. I spotted a young fry so I may have another batch of juvies to grow out. If only these would produce more females! Maybe when these bluespotted fry(I counted 20 and stopped) I could give you a few of them too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Glad the box made it. The interviews are the book on breeding killies. It is a winner.

Looking at your fry I'd say one is a female so you may have a pair.

I'd still wet the orthonotus peat and see.

Great news on the sunfish. I'd thought you'd like those articles. Wolfsheimer was one of the greats.

Try to save as many monty fry as you can as you should get more females than you're getting.

JAKA comes out pretty regularly but don't count the months. It gets there when it gets there. The new Beginner's Guide should be great. I cannot wait. Several top breeders did it.

That airpump is top of the line and can pump alot of box filters and stay quiet. You will like it.

The AKA blue gularis photo is an old one and is more representative of the old strains. The guy in Japan on Aquabid with wild gularis eggs is a famous old breeder and has great fish. The Japanese probably brought in wild fish. We just don't do it. They look like great fish. Yes, people now sell the rare stuff on aquabid. The BNL is best for more common species but not always.

All the fish got peat last night and the gularis were breeding up a storm. The Notho males are fighting over who controls each bowl of peat. I have to produce lots of symoensi peat before I move as everyone wants them. I culled out the non-red picta males so now I have 5. I added to virgin females so hopefully I will get more red males. I culled the monties and nezzies. I have 2 plain monties that look like females so hopefully they will cross with the spotted males. I think I already ahve a few crossed fry from the unspotted males mating with spotted females. I also culled out all the early developing velifera and petenensis males to start line breeding the stock for big males. I have a nezzie male that is just huge -- a real bull.

Sorry on the microworms and grindals but I discontinued my cultures a while back due to the move. I will breed everything as much as possible and distribute eggs and fish hoping I can get things back once I settle in after the move.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started reading the killie book-wow is their a lot of good info here! The breeders, though they each say different things do to different specialties, agree on many important things. I was pretty amazed that one person used 2-3 gallon tanks for his adult killies. Plastic tanks(brand new at least) cost almost as much as ten gallon tanks do. With summer coming along I may do some garage sale scrounging as I'm sure that these things pop up all the time.

So are you saying that no one no longer maintains blue gularis strains that can fit the AKA logo? Seems rather ironic. Aquabid seems to be a great place for sellers(with good cameras and photo skills) to sell. BNL and registry doesn't allow you to post photos so people simply buy by the type/location of fish and by trusting the person on the other side will provide the quality.

Great to hear of the breeding success! Keep note of how the gularis eggs go along if you will-that info would be of much interest. Hope those symoensi produce lots of eggs for you-I can see why people would want them!

I noticed that many people use large numbers of females/ males in breeding tanks. I also remember(I think it was the guy who on killitalk as "Tyronegrenade") claim on his website that a 4 cm female can lay more eggs than 3 3cm ones. Typically how many eggs should you expect from pairs? Bob Morenski claims the black strains of N. rachovii are his most prolific and he collects a few peats every year with over 500 eggs.

Also, how long does it take for Nothos to color up? Its pretty hard to believe that these guys will soon be sporting the colors of the adult males in photographs. The transformation must be very interesting to observe.

I heard with microworm cultures you can put them in the fridge so they last a real long time so you have backup. Haven't tried it yet but if it worked it would be a nice peace of mind.

Also started a large vinegar eel culture. Dunno how much I will use these but I think many fry will take them better than microworms as they swim instead of sinking slowly.

Good luck on the picta and montie breeding project. Those red pictas sound very nice.

Chromaphyosemion project looks like it will be stalled a bit as I think it would be best to have a heater for this tank(unless the fish would like 68 or so degrees with a drop at night).

The worm bin appears to be a success-seeing baby worms in the soil and the blue gularis male is now a very happy fellow [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck on the move and again hope it goes smoothly for you and your fish.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginners guide? I never got abeginners guide from the AKA... Wonder if they still send such a thing..

Bobby: Where are you moving? A long distance from your current location? I must have missed that in earlier posts. Also, I sent a msg to Joe on another board about Malt Vinegar for vinegar eels. Someone I know is saying Malt Vinegar will produce so many eels they will crawl up the sides of the container like micro worms? Any experience with this?

Joe : Blues fry would be awesome! You can find tanks at garage sales almost all summer... I bet 2 out of every 5 around here includes an aquarium or two.. Just two weeks ago my mom was at one and passed up 2 - 29 gals a 10 gal and a double 29 gal iron stand for $25.00 total. I was out of town.. by the time I could go STEAL THEM for $25.00 it was all gone.. the seller sold it to her sister [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img].. But used stuff is much cheaper!

Hope your move goes well Bobby - How many tanks are you moving? Ill eventually have to move my setup as well.. Which ive kind of planned for by making the racks able to come apart in sections...... but isnt that a Huge Undertaking? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Best Wishes

Dustin
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Well, the gularis on the logo is a bit idealized but old strains came close to it. I think with some effort we could get alot better gularis today.

Nothos should sex out from 4-6 weeks.

Definitely hit garage sales for tanks. You can score.

The BNL is usaully a very trustworthy place to shop even without pics. I wonder about aquabid.

Egg production depends on so many things. Nothos are an unfair example as they are egg making machines. Aphyosemion make a lot less. Several females in annuals can increase production if you use peat but with plant spawners the extra girls can become egg eaters. The calabarica I have would produce more if I cleared out all the extras but I have enough so they can snack on eggs.

You should get a Beginners Guide when you join the AKA. I'd ask. I don't know how they are handling the new edition as I think it is a real neat little book.

I never did vinager eels but I did hear malt vinegar was good. I stick to bbs as it is easy, fast and smell free.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some update photos(its about time...)

I'm thinking based on the thing about females having more pointed anal fins that this one is a female? The photos I think are all of one of the juvies(the larger one). Kind of odd in that this one used to be significantly smalelr than the other and later caught up. They are always neck to neck as far as size and squabble regularly.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW THOSE GROW FAST! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

I emailed the AKA and never got a reply about the beginners book... that was after I joined so I assumed it was a thing of the past.

Dustin
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

That's a girl. Show the other one.

The Beginner's Guide should come with membership. When did you join? It may be they are holding off as tghey are introducing the new one at the convention and will send it to people then who have recently joined. I'd contact Peter Tirbak the chairman for the best answer.

Bobby

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast