Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys~

Joseph invited me to this board from another. Wow what a wealth of information in this thread!

Im just getting back into the hobby, I had to stop last year due to work... Anyway when I stopped last year I had two pair of killes, they laid eggs, and i think had no time, so i put them all in my 129 gal planted. Well i guess something happened because I no longer have them.

Joseph you said "I cannot bring myself to use killifish spawning and CP growing medium as redworm food. " in one of the replys.

What is a CP ?

I see you two have talked abotu microworms and using bread. I had a culture for over a year, and never used bread. I used oatmeal mixed with baby cereal and pinch of yeast.. worked well until i let them go to long *landlording is very demanding [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] * and they also died off... More comming next week.

Also I seen a picture of your 46 bow w/o as much najas - the Monties are very beautiful! I never seen them in a tank like that... well actually the only place I had seen them was aquabid - and then they are to expensive for me.

I just joined the aka last week *just found out tonight, forgot i did it last week while ill* so ill let you know how that goes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img].

Are the dvd's the aka offers a good product for the price? I plan to learn more about the northos and then try a pair or so.

Anyway - Im going to re-read some of this thread - lots of info - and checkout killies.com..

Thanks again for pointing me to this forum - great to meet other hobbyist that arent just cashing in on newbies!

Happy Holidays!

Dustin
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nfly and Maylandi,

I had a nice hatch of kafuensis Mambova fry and I think there are alot more undeveloped eggs in the peat. I'd guess I have 30-40 fry. They eating well. I will be watching these closely with my run of unexplainable bad luck lately. I need to collect the Nanzhila peat today too.

I have never seen sp. Caprivi. It is suppose to be just a kafuensis variety. It looks like a good looking fish.

All my symoensi are looking great. They are a gorgeous fish. The males are nice and round with that deep purplish orange body color.

Glad to hear the gularis are showing their stuff. The male will continue to improve for the next 6-9 months. Wait until he is mature with all his finnage and color. I have the male I'm using for breeding. he has turned into a winner.

I lost all the red picta and they were red. They just started dying this week in the monty tank. The monties are just fine as are all the corys and angels. Weird, weird, weird. No disease signs just dead.

I got the box and will ship next week sometime.

Never used the poly for worms. My grindals are doing great but now I have extra bugs in there. Time for new cultures to be started.

Yes, water can backfill into your bbs hatchers. You'll want to get a check value or loop the air line tubing several times or place the pump above the tanks and jars -- the gravity protection [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img].

Welcome aboard Maylandi -- after the cobalt zebra?

You should enjoy the AKA. What area of the country are you in? There may be a local club in your area.

The AKA dvd's can be excellent. Bob Morenski's program on Nothos is very good. All the Brian Watters Notho programs are good but are on collecting not breeding like Morenski's. Charlie Nuziata's is probably good as Charlie is an excellent hobbyist but I have not seen it.

Killies don't do well in big tanks. They like quieter, smaller areas except for a few big species. Nothos hate big power filtered tanks. They like just a tiny flow of bubbles from a corner filter.

Read the monty threads too as there is lots of info there as well as on the kafuensis thread. Nflytrap and I have talked alot.

Bobby

Maylandi is actually standing for poecilia maylandi-a golden colored livebearer. He got them from someone in the ALA-did a google and they are very interesting looking fish.

I think the female gularis may have come down with some kind of popeye. Rather odd. I think it may have been due to constant attention of the male, so I decided to move her back to the ten gallon and leave the now quite bored male in the 46 gallon. What happened to the gold marble angel that contracted popeye some time ago? I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but the males three pronged tail seems to be getting longer too. I will take some shots and compare to older photos to find out.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully this batch of Mambova will turn out nicely for you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

This is pretty brief but gotta go!
    ~Joseph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

On popeye, change half of the water every day and cut out the bloodworms for a while. You can also add 1 tsp of Epson Salt per gallon to the water. You might try Melifix too. Popeye is hard to cure. I lost the angel. You are seeing why killies are tricky and why most keepers of them are breeders. Until you get your own line going with extra fish around it is easy to loose a member of a pair. Luckily female gularis are easy to find if you need one. Alan Barber in LA has a great strain so if the need arrises I will send you to him.

Ah, maylandi mollies -- basically liberty type mollies.

The little Mambova are doing great and there are a bunch. They are eating bbs like pigs.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good on the Mambova. Yeah, killies seem to be high turnover rate, but it seems like the females are the most affected-I feel like it might have been kinda my fault for leaving them together for too long. If we discover the secret of sex ratios perhaps we could skew the spawns to get the ratio to 2 females per 1 male-which would help with the apparent female burnout. Has anyone tried culling for "tougher" fish? I will get to work on the female ASAP and hope for the best-funny that I did a 50% waterchange for her today.

Do you know anyone who keeps gardneri, striatums or a similar small killifish? I would like to keep one of the smaller Fp. or Aphy. species. I'd be interested particularly in one of the less common locations or strains(for some reason N'sukka and Misaje seem to have taken over so it would be nice to be able to see if anyone is interested in the rest or not-that would be Lafia, P82, Akure, Baissa etc. etc.). I've heard Chromaphyosemion bivittatum 'Benin City' is relatively simple, though from the looks of the genus I seriously doubt thats totally true.

Daphnia are really amusing in some frustrating ways. No need to send over a starter of those as one of the empty dishpans produced a few all of a sudden-I believe in spontaneous generation! LOL

The pictures of P. maylandi made me think they were more akin to limias than mollies-speaking of that how are the melanogaster?

The recycle bin filled with a bit of potting mix and papery bits is nearly ready-it just needs worms. LOL

Hope things go well for you
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Hello and thank you for the welcome [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

My sname is after the poecilia Maylandi - very nice species. The females are hogs at 3 inches. I got them from Ted Colletti, he writes an article in the FAMA magazine on livebearers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Im in West Central Indiana. The only club I know of in Indiana is the Circle City Aquarium Society in Indianapolis. Im guessing its named after Circle Center - the center of Downtown Indy. Its an hour drive though, so I havent became a member yet. I plan on going to the ALA convention in indy in march though, and Circle City is the host, so I may be swayed then [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img].

Thank you for your input on the dvd's. Ill order Bob Morenski's program soon. I have been reading the other threads you two have created. You seem to be a very very informed hobbyist! Information first hand such as yours is priceless. Nflytrap and I are very lucky that people like you are so helpful. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Nflytrap - I had popeye probs with my maylandi's about a year ago. They came out of it - I had to use metaflix (sp?) and do water changes. I had a few deaths, but the majority were fine.

If one of you want to get rid of some montie fry, I would be happy to pay for them and or shipping! Those are very VERY nice species [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I should have my fishroom ready by february!

Best Wishes ~

Dustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool-its hard to tell if she is doing better but she isn't markedly worse, which is I guess a good sign. I may be able to get my hands on melafix-the only medication I have around right now would be a bottle of formalin/malachite green for ich which is probably almost expired anyway.

I agree about the value of firsthand info-we could bind all this and make a nice book out of it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I can't thank you two enough for being so willing to put in the time to share this information that only time can acquire.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

No, dont really know any gardneri keepers well but a friend of mine does have some populations. He is Billy Hodgkiss in NJ. His email is <B Hodgkiss43@aol.com>. I've sent him several boxes of fish. Just mention me. He lists alot of gardneri on aquabid. I'd go for the Biassa, P-82's or even jos plateau if its a good strain. Striatums are all lovely but gardneri are easier.

My friend with the Finca zonatus lost his males. He has 4 females left and eggs. So we may have to get our fish together. Ugh. I guess my good luck with that species and hoignei is now gone -- the streak was broken.

The little Mambova's are growing fast. I bet there is 50. Looking good.

I should have more monty babies by the time it warms up Dustin. Now mine will be a cross between what they call the blue/green strain and the ivory mottled strain as I am working to get a larger mottled strain. Joe has the pure mottled ones from me. If that cross is ok as I know some people get nuts about crossing strains I can get you some for postage and returning my box this spring -- along with the just as nice nezahualcoyotl if you want some. My nezzies are a large robust strain. Ted is a good friend and we were just talking tonight. His first livebearer column in TFH in March or April will be on monties so I was giving him what I know about them.

You are in the center of ALA country. There should be several local killie clubs in your area too with shows and auctions coming up.

Melafix and water changes can work. It is good stuff. Think about talking to Alan in LA.

Bobby

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast