Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I read an article about someone who would carefully judge the males by color intensity and looking for faded colors or eliminating atypical patterns. I've also heard of some people simply cutting the batch in half and throwing the rest out. Can't see myself doing that.

What do you mean by"not developing properly?". Does this mean the runts? I hear that the males tend to grow faster so when breeders cull out the smaller ones they end up with a very high percentage of males.

I know you said you never bother looking through the peat now, but back before you came to that conclusion how often did you get fry from bags of peat that supposedly had no eggs? I haven't seen any eggs in the N. orthonotus Moz 99/8 bag in a long time, and in the bag of Chunga I can find maybe 3-5. In contrast the N. kafuensis 'Kayuni' Zam 97/9 I can easily spot 10 or more eggs just by gentling moving the peat a few times.

From all this good stuff you getting-JAKA must be really good!

I asked Billy which populations he had and also mentioned your name.

Hard to tell how the female is doing-she is hungry. I hope to add in some Melafix maybe today or tomorrow and see what happens.

I know Cyprinodon variegatus is illegal in CA for rather obvious reasons-not sure about the rest. I know most of them are either threatened or endangered which creates obvious problems.

Also, in general how long do species stay in your fishroom? I'm sure some killikeepers will breed one generation and then sell them for another species-but I'm sure again that almost everyone has a few old favorites that they hang onto.

One of my female montezumaes looks almost ready to give birth yet again. I think some of my juveniles will soon be close to the size the ones you sent me were. Males continuing to grow, but a few show some sword damage-likely due to the male blue gularis.

Btw, what happened to that monster Simp. papilliferus spawn?

Hope all is well for you! Good luck with those Mambova
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

I moved around 120 Mambova fry last night. Yikes. Two weeks was almost too long in their 2 gallon hatching container. I should be good with that species.

"Developing properly" to me means growth, color, form and behavior. I sort of have an ideal in my mind and then cull based on the closeness to that ideal.

Don't worry about seeing eggs in peat, especially after they start developing as they are then really hard to see. I wouldn't check them too much as things are best left alone. I never worry as I feed the fish well, give them the right water and store the peat correctly so I usually do ok.

Some species stay in my tanks for years while others go after a few months. I have had the nezzies and monties since 1999. I have had the N. symoensi since 2001. The older I get the fewer species I keep and the longer I keep them. I also find that I return to the same species over and over again. I do think I am going to start doing more plant spawning killies as after 35 years with peat spawners I am finally a bit bored with them. I love the planted tank of S. "calabarica" I have and I think I want more like that. Nothos, gularis and plant spawning "Roloffias".

I lost all the papilliferus as I did the first Mambova's -- very weird. I lost all the zonatus Finca to dropsey -- one bag of questionable eggs. I did manage to save a few of the red pictas and boy are they nice. I hope I can get them going. The Limia vittata are kind of boring. I won't be keeping the F. arnoldi or M. lacortei. They just don't do it for me.

We have been having all kinds of emails on the monties from about 8 people. The spotted ones we have seem to be a german importation from 1987 that then went to England and then the USA. The photo in Lambert's Swordtails and Platies book shows a male from early on in this location's aquarium life. Others are reporting a loss of spotting over generations. All report that the old big blue/green unspotted line get big. I miss my old unspotted line. If you join the AHHS site, Ted posted part 1 of his monty article there. Aquarium Hobby History Society. I think its a yahoo club. There will be some fine monty photos used in the 2 part article. Part 2 is all breeding information.

I've been offered some X. nigrensis swords soon. This is a rare thick bodied small species. I really want X. multilineatus -- a beauty.

The P. petenensis number over 100 now while the velifera have only dropped, not eatened? 10 fry.

A pair of koi veil angels are really getting ready to breed. All they do is clean off leaves and lip lock. They are more into it this time than ever before. I have no idea what caused the new intensity.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow...thats a ton of Mambova! How many adults were you using?

Based on the developing thing, perhaps the reason I cannot see so many eggs in the Chunga bag is that they are starting to get covered in peat from incubation. That doesn't explain the orthonotus bag though.

I've moved a pair of bluespots back inside to a ten gallon tank and moved the Heterandria formosa and quite a few fry to the many sweater boxes available. They have become a bit more active and have eaten what little I've fed them. Hope to raise temperature/photoperiod and get some action from these guys.

On the topic of plantspawners, have you had any experience with epiplatys. chromaphyosemion, or rivulus species? Chromaphyosemion are supposed to work very well in those kind of setups.

Good luck with those red pictas! They sound really nice.

Does that mean their are several spotted montezumae strains? You can apparently trace yours back to "Marlin" who claims the original pair was collected in 1997.

Nigrensis sound really interesting. According to the Xiphophorus Genetic stock center they produce a wide variety of sizes in the males-from tiny sneaker males to big blue males that "take almost 1 year to mature". Dunno if its just me, but I wouldn't have the heart to breed away the sneaker males as having at least a few around would be interesting in a funny way. The papers you sent some time in July are really useful and cover many of those funny species that we hear or read about occasionally.

The female seems to be over with popeye. Males anal fin is still developing extensions! Should I give breeding a shot? Got a critter keeper available.

Have you guys been getting any rain? Its been going pretty heavy over here. The fish don't seem to notice though.

Good luck!
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nfly,

I had a trio of Mambova breeding. The move went well and all the fry are doing well.

Eggs are just hard to see especially as they develop.

My expereince with plantspawners is very limited. I just always did annuals. Rivulus are GREAT jumpers. Epiplatys are usually pretty easy and long lived. Chromos are a lovely family. I'd get hollyi or biv Funge -- very big and pretty.

Get the female gularis in a tank alone and get her plump and then breed. Keep the water changes going and add the male to her tank. I'd just us boiled,rinsed peat for breeding. Remember to boil in a glass or enamel pan and then rinse well. Use about a 1/2 inch of peat over the bottom and don't feed while breeding. Breed for a day or 2 and then collect the peat. Store it for 6-8 weeks a little wetter than the Nothos. Speaking of which, are you monitering the moisture content of the Notho peat to be sure they are are drying out too much over time. You can always spray in some water and stir it around in the peat to keep the right dampness. The peat should never look or feel dry or begin to turn light brown.

We've been having normal rains which means once a week or so all year long. Makes collecting water easy.

I'm also copying an article on breeding your little sunfish.

My nezzie swords are now acting strange and one died. Ugh. This is getting old. I can't figure out what is going around my fishroom or where it came from.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of this problem lately. Sounds very odd, and I sure hope you can get it solved soon(or otherwise the fish do it themselves).

By, "acting strange" what exactly do you mean? I'd risk a guess that perhaps whatever it is came in on the new shipment of picta/montys/limias?

I've been checking the moisture on the Notho bags quite regularly. Seems to stay about the same but I check at least once ever 1-2 weeks just in case.

The sunfish don't seem to be doing anything yet. Female has slightly tattered caudal/pectoral fins(which I find odd). The male confronts the female whenever he see's her-she usually flees. No sign of the breeding colors besides the bluish spots appearing. I'm a bit nervous as last summer/fall one of the 2 "adult" females was presumably killed by the male. I've added lots of plants etc. to the tank and for the fish spend most of the time on opposite sides of the tank.

Let me know when you send the items over. Did you get your styro back?

Ms. female blue gularis is getting a bit plump. I dunno if you have read killies.com forums but it seems everyone is having problems with egg fertility. One person is doing an experiment with softer water to see if that helps.

I'm pretty sure, as far as plant spawners go, it wouldn't be too hard to do, say, a chromaphyosemion biotope. Anubias, bolbitus, etc. and perhaps one pair of small west african cichlid would work nicely.

As usual at this time of year I can't wait for spring so things start to warm up over here. At least right now blackworms don't need to be kept in the fridge...LOL
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys-
    Ive been very busy lately, and unable to keep up with threads... Ill catch up soon...

I just got a shipment of Compressed Coir Fiber Bricks ... wondering if that will work in place of peat for the Northos?

I had bad luck with with peat with white worms..

Thanks!

Hope all is well

Dustin
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin:

Feel free to take whatever time off you want.

Me and Bobby discussed coir vs peat somewhere in these threads. Coir(courtesy of Bobby of course) is generally considered not as good as peat as it has a tendency to dry. Some use it mixed 50/50 with peat with success.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha its not time off i want - ive got tenants breaking down common doors and assulting each other.... God there are days..... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Just want to evict them all - Hope you two are doing good [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] haha... ttyl
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast