What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Returning to the original fish of the topic...let me say that I'm going to have to make a tough decision.

Recently I found a female montezumae almost dead floating on the surface with what appeared to be a broken back. Some of the others showed tattered fins. I had at first blamed this on the F. chrysotus but then after watching the SJO male's behavior it became obvious that he was the one who did it(probably thinking they look like delicious morsels of food). He's now been removed to a seperate tank(critter keeper) certainly not a permanent home for him.

The options would be...
-Send away the male blue gularis and perhaps keep a smaller species in the 46 compatible with the existing fish.
-Send away the other fish in the tank(montezumae swordtails and flagfin shiners) and use it solely for blue gularis.
-complete tank makeover
Neither of these three sounds very nice but they certainly can't be kept together(third was added to "think outside the box"). I'm not too sure which is better. This male blue gularis is a really beautiful fish-but it doesn't seem like anyone needs more blue gularis so it might be tough placing him. It would likely be easy to move the two larger groups of fish but I don't know whether or not I'd be able to keep several blue gularis in the tank(I wouldn't think so). I can't really choose between the two. The last alternative would be to clear the slate and start anew.

Hard decision no doubt but I don't think waiting would solve the problem.
~Joseph

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This male blue gularis is a really beautiful fish-but it doesn't seem like anyone needs more blue gularis so it might be tough placing him.
Well if you ever want to get rid of one or two let me know. I used to breed N. rachovii but it's been about 5 years since I played around with killies. After reading this thread I am beginning to miss my killies.

There you go, Problem Solved - Save the Monties! ;)

Hi N,

Let the blue gularis go. You can always get more. I am surprised he attacked after all this time. Are you sure its not the Fundulus? They can be tough. You can keep a blue gularis in a 5 gallon tank.

Bobby

Bobby - Any tips on getting the Fundulus to breed? Temps at 80, they have bottom mops. The male seems to set between the top of the filter and top of the water and the female sets on the other end o fhte 20l near the mop. Actually while I type this the female came twards the male and the male ran her back to her side of the tank... Any way to get them more in the mood? Or is it normal for the Male to chase off the female? Bare bottom - floating hornwart.

Thanks!

Hi M,

I'd try some floating mops or LOTS of hornwort. Fundulus are true plant spawners so the bottom mop might not be their first choice. 80F should be fine. Just do lots of water changes and feed chopped worms. The fry should hatch with the parents if there are enough plants for the eggs to "hide" in.

Bobby

HI Bobby -

Thank You for the reply. I have them in a 20L - is that too big? Do you think the extra plants will help calm down the male? He just chases the female off when get gets close to him
smile_h_32.gif
Also, Should the water be still? I have a fluval 3 (i think is the number, its one of htel arger ones) in there with a spraybar, so the middle water moves like a stream... Maybe they dont like that?

What kind of worms, Black or Red? Do you think they would accept BBS, whiteworms or fruit flys?

Thanks!

Dustin

Hi M,

Yes, that fluval is too strong. They just need a sponge or a corner filter. Killies will fold up in high current. The 20 is fine just calmer. The more plants will help hide eggs and fry and make spawning locations more available. Whiteworms are great only feed 3-4 times a week and no more -- too rich. Blackworms are great but always chopped before feeding for ease of digestion.

Bobby

Alright - done - ;) Ill add a cycled sponge and see if it helps out. I really need to get the white worm thing down. Each time I get some I kill them within a week
smile_h_32.gif
Last time I didnt know they had to be ventilated... Oops!

What did you finally decide to do with the gularis, joe?

I'm still holding him as no one has gotten down to taking him. The last option would be to take him to the LFS for store credit but I would much rather have him go directly to someone.

Back