Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chromaphyosemion splendopleure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know for certain what genders these two are after two months! Looks like you were right all along.

How big do female KAF get? I think they are around 1.5 inches or a little more(based on putting a ruler against the glass for them to inspect).

I remember that it seemed as if the fry affected by velvet were the larger ones...so perhaps that killed off the would be males and left 2 females.

I hope the group of 5 will catch up and have a few males for me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Observed the fry and now I'm sure I have at least one male! Most likely more but haven't checked.

Edit: Might be too early to tell but it looks like all these will be males. Not the outcome I wanted-but better than them being all female.

I'm pretty sure using 2 males per female would not be advised. Could I perhaps rotate the males through the breeding tank or something? I don't know of anyone else who keeps this particular sp./location.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Post some pics of the new fry and let me look. I doubt they are all males although my kykesis (petenensis) are running heavy on males. The females might get to 2 inches max usually smaller. If fed well they get big and big Notho females are best for breeding. Use 2 females to a male as males are rough. Breed as soon as the males sex out fully as Nothos are short lived. There breeding water can be only slightly soft and acid and you might try regular water once and see how that spawning incubates and hatches.

Methylene Blue and Acriflivine are both good anti-fungal agents but most people use MB. You just put the eggs in a mild solution for a day or two and then transfer them to clean tank water. I prefer storing on wet pre-boiled in hard water(and thoroughly rinsed in hard water) peat moss placed in those Glad storage containers and checked and opened daily. But I think community tank breeding and raising is easiest. Just feed live bbs daily for unseen fry.

I have more velifera and kykesis fry and have distributed some. I am slowing down on the killie breeding with the move. The orange picta are producing. I have around 5 orange males now and a load of females. I think the cross of two monty strains has taken as the blue/green females are loaded. I hope they improve the color and size on the spotted. The nezzies are doing great as always. I have an especially nice big male in this generation. The Phalloceros are multiplying. My old lyretail and hi fin swords strains are dropping fry. I will be sending the kykesis, velifera, lyretail and hi fin swords, nezzies and monties if I can. I'm going to take a break from killies for a while with the move as they require more time and special care. I'm sending off my last N. symoensi eggs to Singapore and China!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post photos ASAP. I'm pretty sure at least 3 are males as they show some color even though they are around grain of rice size. They've got some red in the fins and one is even developing that blue anal fin edge. Not too sure how old completely sexed out is but I guess when they've almost caught up to these females sizewize they will be ready. In my eyes these females look pretty big and are growing still. Could be because they haven't been bred so are focusing most of the energy on growth instead on eggs. They chase each other around alot though and act as if they are males.

I'll remove some eggs and try storing them on peatmoss prepared as you described and see how that works.

I'd agree killies are definetly more labor intensive-livebearers seem to produce for themselves. Keep me updated on the monty cross. Great to hear the picta are reproducing! How do the highfins/lyretails look compared to the old strain? Looks like the symoensi are going to be in the FR of many killikeepers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe - Thanks for the plug And your welcome for the membership - I knew you would benifit from it!

whats teh white thing hanging in the middle of the aquarium in this pic --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...h/DSCN0380.jpg ?
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly too sure what you mean by white thing but I see some Najas and Anubias roots near the center of the aquarium. The grey shadow near the top was a piece of duct tape.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha Its white and square - mayble a post it note?
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update photos...

At least one of the fish in this shot seems like it could be a female. You can also see the males which are becoming very apparent. A few are obviously male due to anal fin shape and a few specks of color but seem to be waiting to color up.

And one of the splendopleure male.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast