Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "stingray pleco"/hillstream loach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    went to my favorite pet store to find an apple snail today, which they were out of, but the guy i asked wondered why i wasn't looking into a pleco to clean up algae instead. "Pleco? Don't plecos grow to be like a foot long? I've only got ten gallons here!" "No, I was talking about stingray plecos, they're smaller." "And get along with goldfish?" "Yup." "Same temps and parameters overall?" "Yup." "Hmm... I'll get back to you on that."

sooo i come home, look up "stingray pleco" which quickly becomes "hillstream loach" which then turns up "well it's not really a pleco OR a loach but they eat algae and like cold water and get along with goldfish. plus they only grow to about three inches." plus they are REALLY neat looking. so before i go back to pick one up, anybody ever heard of/kept these wonderful fish?

meantime i'm working on a tank makeover... i was quite annoyed that the driftwood i bought was just a CENTIMETER too large for my tank, which i know i could theoretically cut down but it would really annoy me (thankfully i measured it before it got wet). so i have to go back to the store regardless of what fish/invert i'm picking up next week i'll post the before/after pics when it's done!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hillstream loach in my tank.

Here's some pictures of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/hill.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PERFECT!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] why have i never heard of these wonderful little fish before?!

can't wait to get to the store next week to pick up my new fish (and a nice chunk of correctly sized driftwood... finally, a well-decorated tank!)
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ June 02 2005,3:33)]I have a Hillstream loach in my tank.

Here's some pictures of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/hill.html
    Steve, somehow I missed that one on Sunday's visit. That wasn't in with the Discus, was it? Must've been with the killies, right?

Heather, have you ever seen a Blue-Eyed or Clown Pleco? I know this sounds crazy, because of it being what it is, but they are attractive.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    Yes he is with the killies.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... I saw a loach - a botia, right? But I missed the Hillstream one. We used to sell "butterfly loaches" at the wholsaler, so maybe that was the same species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.loaches.com has a few excellent articles on these guys.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok one problem i might come across keeping these guys... current. i have a single Tetra Whisper power filter (no clue how much goes through it but the tank is, once again, 10gal) which appears to create a decent current in places, judging by the speed the food flies around, but apparently these guys like really strong currents. would a loach still be OK... or am i still going with the snails?

Elgecko, what kind of current does your loach live in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast