Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothobranchius kafuensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby:

The kafuensis males continue to grow. By now some of the other males have reach the stage of the largest male in the first set of photos. Its quite interesting watching the colors come in. I think this is an all boys group. Their is one runt that I missed but it also appears to be a male. They are chasing each other around so I guess that is a good sign. I can hardly wait for them to get to the point where I can give breeding a shot!

Who is the JAKA editor? I would be very happy if I could contribute some photos to the JAKA.

Thanks!
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Marshall Ostrow is editor -- look inside your issues on the front page or so. When you are ready to breed the kafuensis add a male to the female's tank. That usually works the best. Have the bowl of peat in there already and have a bowl no taller than 2 inches with a wide surface area.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby: I'll probably be using the same Gladô storage container that you sent the grindals to me in. It fits the measurements pretty good. If I can find the lid that I cut a hole in that would be even better...LOL

How are your Mambova as of now? I dug up some old photos and it is surprising how different they are from the 'Kayuni' I'm raising now. The main thing I see is the color scheme and the anal fin pattern. Bad photo but as you know in life the colors were Red, blue, and Yellow. The body shape looks different but we'll have to wait for my males to grow to this point to compare. I have a feeling Mambova is more enlongated than 'Kayuni'...which is stockier.

I'll have to get new photos of the 'Kayuni' up. They are looking better and better each day.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

The Kayuni are alot different but as they grow the similarities will appear to be stronger than the differences. I think too many populations are listed as kafuensis. I bet we get separate species in time. I like the Kayuni more than the Mambova. I have to add peat to the mambova today as they are aging and I need eggs. Thanks for reminding me. The glad container should be good just watch to see if the height bugs them at all.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the overabundance of photos but just like a parent taking pictures one or their kids I end up taking lots of them...LOL
    Again change is noticeable between this and the last set of photos.

For one, thing, the males are beginning to fight more and more often. Right now it seems to be mainly over food/territory but I bet if their was a female in here thats what they'd be after.

The same male I have been photographing through these 3 photo sets. Biggest and also the most photogenic(probably because everyone else gets chased away from the camera...hehe).

Bad photo...but as you can see, the smaller males are catching up.

Keep me updated on how the Mambova proceed and how you go about it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Male Nothos are kind of nasty and more so around girls so keep a watch on. I have learned the hard way that it is best to separate the sexes for raising and even a 30 gallon is not large enough for 80 young male Nothos. I sent 18 pairs of calabarica to the AKA's New and Rare Species Committee and have not heard a word. I am worried. I hope its just an oversight. I still have around 20 pairs and new fry. I'll let you know on the Mambova. I have a peat of Nanzhila kafuensis put away too.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW 80 young males! HAHA I cant even get my N. Foerschi to lay eggs yet! Im fallin behind
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi M,

No eggs yet? Odd. Foerschi are real producers. Did you get the big container for the peat and 100% peat yet? Nothos eggs are tiny and hard to see in peat.

Bobby

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast