Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothobranchius kafuensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys are still growing rapidly. I'm itching to get these guys spawning!

A few males have now reach the appearance of the second set of photos. A few more still at the first set and maybe 3 which have little more than red X's on the sides plus the black anal fin margin.

I just looked and these pictures show the change about 1 week makes.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] whats the life span for those? Must be short they grow so quick.
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: My bad...its been two weeks!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the current dominant male(believe it or not!)

The largest male.

Best shot I could get of the males fighting.

I decided to jump ahead and have a go at spawning them. Once again same problem came up. The Nothos much preferred spawning in the peat thrown out of the bowl and never found their way into the bowl itself! However, the female did drop a few eggs...one which I pulled up with a pipette and placed into the bowl of peat. Now they are seperated again but I'm thinking of doing a 1 gallon or so spawning tank and just putting them in for a few hours and taking them out.

Also some bad news. Woke up and noticed that the smaller female was in an odd position. Turns out she couldn't swim properly and was extremely uncoordinated. Body is in the freezer now. I have no idea what happened but looking her over my only guess would be internal injury. Besides the slight bulge which could have just as likely been food she was flawless. Unsure what happened.

Any suggestions or advice would be most helpful. The males sure are acting like they are ready and the one female is very plump!

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

They are ready for breeding. I think the breeding for a few hours is a good idea with just one female to use. Just cover the bottom with peat at the depth of 1/2". Put the female in first and add the male once the female is settled a bit. Add some plants for safety. Leave them together as long as they get along or until the female no longer looks plump. Then separate. I'd try a 2 gallon tank though. Getting the hang of breeding in the bowl of peat can take a while. It helps to siphon off peat that falls out of it when putting it in the tank. Those males are beauties -- especially the big one. Time to rewet the peat and see if any more fry hatch out. Sorry about the other female. It's always something. Who knows what happened. Just breed right away to insure some eggs. Are you clear on drying and storing peat now?

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure I've got the drying and storing peat thing down. Just need to get me some fishbags.

I set up for spawning yesterday in a plastic salad box...the area was about the same as a two gallon critter keeper but it was quite shallow. Put a thin layer of peat, clumps of Najas and java moss, and added the female and a male. After about an hour I removed the original male and added another as he appeared to be losing interest. Removed when the female began to desperately try to escape the male. Dunno how many eggs were laid as I wasn't observing for the whole time but observed 6 actual egg laying acts.

I bet the original bag still has good eggs in it so I will try and find out.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok something really weird happened...dunno what it mean't but it was pretty interesting.

The female seemed to be acting rather odd today...refusing most of bloodworms etc. I was offering and pacing round the tank. This afternoon I was watching her and all of a sudden she shook her body and a few eggs came out!(which she then turned around to eat). After she dropped maybe 8 in this fashion I got her out and put her into the spawning tank with the biggest male and one of the smaller ones as a target. Wow they literally "spawned up a storm"! After I noticed the female resisting the males further attempts to spawn I removed them.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Interesting. Females can drop eggs alone especially when stimulated. Maybe rather than just doing an hour try a day but with more water. If pairs will live together on a daily basis it makes it all easier. Nothos can lay alot so who knows. Is the female still plump? If she is breed her again. She can breed as long as has eggs. When she is spawned out then condition her for a week or two until plump and start up again. Collect and store the peat every two weeks and don't feed in the breeding tank. I hope it works well. Hatch and see if you can get more females out of the old peat as with all those males you need a couple of girls. I'd contact Morenski or the guy on aquabid who has them.

The mollies I sent to Denmark made it! Did you see on Killitalk where I found wild zonatus in my lfs? Not sure if I have any girls but I will know in a couple of weeks. I sure hope so.

Bobby

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast