Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nothobranchius kafuensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check on the female and maybe go for another round. I'll see to clearing out a critter keeper for them to use. I think its pretty fortunate that I got females first then males later as the female is still much larger than the male.

For leaving them in for the whole day I assume you would put them in every other day? Seem's that'd be necessary if you don't feed them in the spawning tank.

I have an add up on the AKA Registry and Classifieds looking for females of these but no one has responded. Perhaps they just don't browse the wanted section much.

I saw that posting on wild zonatus. Thats really interesting that they would be imported commercially esp. at that price. I've seen my LFS order in rare anabantoids(they once had Betta rutilans) but they came out to around $10 each...still quite inexpensive.

Is their anything different about sending fish overseas?

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

If you kept them together permanently you'd just feed normally. If you spawned them for a whole day then you'd give them a week's rest before doing it again. You don't want to move them around all the time as it is stressful. Post a request on Killitalk and on the Nothobranchius group -- Nothobranchius Maintanence Group -- for females. The wanted page doesn't get much traffic. Talk to Morenski too. He loves the Zambian Nothos.

Shipping overseas is just more expensive -- $86! But he is a good friend and it makes for nice contacts. I also finally heard that all the calabarica I sent to the N&RSC of the AKA arrived safely. 18 pairs to distribute.

Bobby

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do on that--thanks for the suggestions! I fed and looked over the female and while she isn't as fat as she used to be she is by no means slim either.

Don't you have to be a part of the NMG in order to post to it? I know 1 person on aquabid in the US is offering eggs. How often do breeders have spare females around? It looks like I will end up with around 5 males.

Glad to hear that those calabrica will be spread around!

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

You can just sign up for the NMG on line like anything else. If she is still a bit round she still has eggs. People might have extra females and would be happy to sell them. Even one more would be a help. Hatch those eggs again and maybe you'll have more in 2 months.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks like its been around 2 weeks since I first tried spawning. I think they've been in maybe 3 or 4 times. I hope the peat contains all the eggs I've observed them laying!

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,

You'll be surprised! My first symoensi peat hatched 45 fry and the adult breeders were sick and weak as they had been caught in the 9/11 mess in shipping so took a week to get here. I never saw them breed but out came the fry. You'll be surprised.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be off to harvest the peat soon. In the meantime a few photos.

Well, just finished harvesting and bagging the peat. Think I used too little peat on this one. Will be taking photos. I saw what I am pretty sure was an egg during the process.

Also to throw this little idea at you. I have been reading the one book you photocopied for me. Tons of good info. The people do different fish and also seem to have slightly varying "philosophies" it seems. One that stands out is water volume and amount of feeding. Some like to use small tanks in which you must be careful about how much you feed, others prefer the safety net a big tank gives you. I was pretty surprised that some kept adult pairs in tanks around U.S 2 gallons. Another is on adding things when water incubating eggs. Some say fungused eggs show less than optimum water quality and so try to keep em really clean, others add a bit of methylene blue or acriflavin to the hatchwater.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Pics! Good Luck with the harvest!
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast