Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Nothobranchius kafuensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...its about time(maybe even a little overdue) to bag up the peat that the fish have been spawning in again. Hopefully I see at least a few of those eggs that they've been dropping into it.

Edit: Well sure enough I found a few definite eggs while bagging the peat. Looks like this was a good spawning.

Photos will be up shortly.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's pictures of the peat I've collected. I think it is maybe 3-4 on the Langton scale.(peat may still yield some water if squeezed). Its not very fluffy though as you can see from the photos.

Believe it or not I didn't see the hatch date error until I looked at this through Paint!

They've been put into fishbags and then into a Zip-loc bag

And the male himself.

and a little male
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok some updates.

The fish are now wallowing in the peat from the third bag. I decided to mix the old peat that they came from with some of mine as when I rewetted it recently I got one bellyslider fry...so I don't think their are any more eggs in it. If their are then they'll have a chance to hatch sometime later...hehehe
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is Beautiful! I wish they came in larger a larger size haha
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Looks good. Reusing old peat is ok but if you fed over it you might want to re-boil it to kill bacteria. I prefer freshly boiled peat for this reason. Is the peat in storage clumpy? It should be moist but easily fluffed and separated like loose dirt. The eggs need oxygen to deveop properly and moist but fluffable peat lets O2 get to them even in moist dirt -- think the cracks that form in the dirt in dried up ponds. Check your peat once every week for moisture. 4-5 months incubation depending on the temperature -- cooler longer.

The fish look exceptional. I hope you get lots of peats stored away. A styrofoam box as a storage container helps keep the temperature constant. Heat rises so a high shelf will help in winter. Notho eggs do not like it too cool -- below 72F -- or too hot -- above 80F.

How are the monties? My cross between the spotted and unspotted is looking great. They resemble that first photo Marlin used on aquabid to sell the spotted monties and which the actual fish never resembled. I wonder if that photo showed a crossed fish -- interesting! I think the last batch of babies will give me alot more of the crossed fish in the colony. I really like this fish.

All the zonatus from CVolumbia turned out to be males! A friend hatched 25 Finca population so if he raises them that location is not lost.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Boibby,

Yes...as per the photo the peat is mostly in chunks. Should I allow it to dry more...manually break the chunks? I broke up the big ones when preparing the peat for storage and found that the eggs were often inside of them.

I remember you mentioning somewhere that Nothos didn't respond to mirrors. Apparently the male N. kafuensis didn't read that! I was curious so decided to give him a chance and he flared up for the mirror with just as much fire as any betta. Got a few photos but they probably arent very good ones.

My monties have not been doing very much now. I have some juveniles growing up...a few new males, but no new fry. One of the females looks like she may be ready to birth soon so I'm hopefully I'll get some more action. Still need to get the water tested also.

Sorry to hear about the zonatus being all males...seems to happen pretty often. You know that the fish you bought were collected in the same general area as the Finca zonatus?

I've been considering your idea of trying SAA in the pond in the winter and it is quite tempting. Based on advice from some others nigripinnis would overall be the best choice as it won't mind temps to 75 or so while some of the other species might not tolerate that(if I miss anyone and they get left in the pond for the summer). A few other species such as those from Southern Brazil they claim may not be able to tolerate the winters(whitei, constanciae, etc.) I'd like to hear your input on this. Aphanius were also mentioned but though they are pretty I heard they can be aggressive.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Gently and carefully break up the chunks and see then how moist the now fluffed peat feels. You should just be able to squeeze a drop of water from a bit between you finger tips. It might need more drying. You can just open the storage bag for that checking it every couple of hours.

It wasn't me with the mirrors. Never heard of that.

The Finca zonatus come from Venezuela and these are teh very green Columbia ones.

I'd go with the nigripinnis but find a pretty strain. You might talk to the Argentina guys on the SAA list which is the Cynolebias club on Yahoo. I saw a great strain of nigripinnis pictured on aquabid from a breeder in Romania or such. The males had good black color and lots of dots. Good luck. I'd order a batch of eggs, hatch and start with those. Bob Morenski raises alot of cold water Austrolebias.

I finally sent Dustin his fish.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

Tried your suggestion of breaking up the peat. Seems to have worked well. I found a few eggs while doing so also and have one in view that I can observe.

Forgot to ask a question on your monty cross. When you say it looked like the photo Marlin was using on aquabid are you saying that this means that the cross worked as you had hoped(fish have the unspotted montie's dorsal and the ivory mottled's spots)?

Do you know if being kept cold would slow down the growth of the SAA kept outside over the winter? Perhaps make it so that if you popped juvies into the pond in fall you could remove adults by next spring? Raising in small tubs would be possible but they would experience much lower temperatures than those in the pond.

I will get up some photos
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast