Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Nothobranchius kafuensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some photos of the big male KAF showing off for his imaginary rival.

1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Glad the peat worked. Just be ready for a lot of fry when you hatch!

I did a stupid thing last night. I was tired and doing water changes and forgot to add de-chlorinator and wiped out one tank of kykesis and my tank of monty x helleri. Bummer. I just thought I had put it in there. I haven't made that mistake in decades. I'm glad Armando has the cross too and I have more kykesis.

The monty x monty cross has the body shape, body coloring, black spots and big size I wanted. They are just getting their swords and the dorsal has yet to develop its color so we shall see. They are going to be nice though -- better looking than either parent I think.

The cold water Austrolebias I am told grow and breed in the cool temperatures. I think it has to get really cool for them to slow down. That said, I bet they live longer raised cool than if they are raised hot. My friend Martin Tversted in Denmark works with cool water species. He posts on Killitalk and Cynolebias Yahoo Group. You might contact him. He is a biology teacher in Denmark. We trade fish. He has the velifera and kykesis to distribute in Europe.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

Sorry to hear about that accident! Good to know that someone else also has the monty x helleri cross so that you guys can continue to experiment. I did something similar in the pond outside maybe 3 years ago...left the hose running overnight and by the next evening all but one of the fish in the pond had died despite efforts to save them. Odd thing was that it seemed that the eggs they laid earlier survived the incident and before long many little goldfish were growing up in the pond.

Keep me updated on the monty cross.

I just bagged up yet some more peat of the kafuensis(that makes 3 now)...saw several eggs during bagging and at least 3 are visible when you move the peat around. I guess by now I've come in a full circle with these fish! I don't know if I plan to keep these particular spawns as they are due to hatch in around January-I'd much prefer some which would be due to hatch when its a bit warmer(Feb-March). How long should I expect to get eggs from these fish?

Do you know Lee Van Hyfte by any chance? He's been a great source of info on SAA's in general. Also I may be getting some GAR 'Misaje' from Doug Ebeling and joining that species maintenance group.

Have yoy by any chance kept Jordanella floridae? Dustin and I are keeping some from the same location and we have both gotten eggs.

Here's a photo of the male before he went to the spawning container.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,

I'd keep those eggs until you are sure you can hatch another generation. I had an incubator a friend built out of a 3 foot square wooden box. He cut a hole in one side and mounted a computer fan and mounted an incandescent light fixure inside the box with both attached to a temperature gauge used for reptiles. The bulb used was just a 40 watt bulb. I had a thermometer in the box. The fan and light bulb would come on when the temperature dropped below 80F (for zonatus). It worked great and just used the 40 watt bulb and a little power for the small computer fan. Even a good styro box in a warm area of the house will hold a solid temperature. I'd make something and keep the eggs. You can also heat a larger tank and float a hatching container in it to hatch the eggs. You can do the same with brine shrimp hatchers especially if you use glass ones like I do. Heat water in a half filled 10 and stand the bs hatchers in that water for warmth.

I know Lee he is very nice and very knowledgable. Doug lives near me and is a friend. He has my kaufensis Mambova available this month -- if you wanted that fish again!

I've never kept flagfish but a guy here breeds them year round in his pond.

Looks like a few monty x helleri survived, maybe even one hi fin. Hope springs eternal.

All of Dustin's fish from me made it and he is happy. He got monties, nezzies, Phalloceros, calabarica and velifera. I also sent him some great floating water fern. Do you want some of that? It needs soft slightly acid water to grow well but it is like a big thick floating water sprite. It only floats too. It does not do well in harder water unless you have CO2 injection.
    I ordered a new Beginner's Guide and the Epiplatys book -- which I already had in german.

Bobby

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can say that again, I am very happy!!! I just hope I dont scew up the Scriptoaphyosemion liberiensis (calabarica) - making a new post with pics of them now.

Bobby your #1 With Us!!

Thanks Again!
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update

Now onto the 4th peat for the kafuensis. The female appears to have grown a bit more as she is still larger than the male! The other males are growing too.

Doug Ebeling plans to send over some GAR within a few weeks. HE also offered me some fish as a thanks for participating in the SMP. Among some of the fish he keeps(he mentioned the calabrica from you) would be Austrolebias nigripinnis 'Villa Soriano' and Cynopoecilius melanotaenia! I'm definetly going to give nigripinnis a run. Cynopoecilius are cute little fish but they aren't particularly colorful. I bet they would do very well outside also as they can take very cold temps.

Might as well keep it in one topic but I just realized something which I find rather amusing. I mentioned in the the earlier SPL topic that I thought I had maybe 2 or 3 juvies in the tank. The thing I found odd was that these juvies though were of two distinct sizes sometimes appeared bigger or smaller(I thought it depended on how much sleep I got). Eventually the big one got a yellow filament on its dorsal fin marking it as a male. Rather dissapointing as I was hoping it would be a female. Then some time later I spotted the "same fish" without the filament. Curious I added some BBS to the front of the tank and maybe 6 juvenile SPL of 2 seperate sizes came up to feed! I have what looks like a young pair growing out. Also have one which is growing outside which so far looks like a female. Today while rummaging in the tank I found a few fry also.

The flagfish are doing incredibly well right now. I have counted over 100 eggs from several days of spawning and must have a similar number of fry. Some damselfly larvae managed to sneak into one of the spawns so I lost some of them. Got maybe 20 or so grain of rice size, a batch of maybe 70 hatched a few days ago and now some more hatching. I think these are the most prolific fish I've dealt with so far(but that isn't saying much).

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,

Good news on the kafuensis. It looks like you will soon be swamped with them. A tank full of Nothos is very pretty. Great news on the SPL. I bet there are even more fry in that tank. Plant spawning killies make life very easy on you when they are happy. The calabarica over-populate their 30. My friend has some zonatus Finca sexing out and he may be the last guy with them. He has pairs. I'm going to get a pair to work with before I move. I want that fish established. I do have 5 gorgeous Columbian zonatus males. Some males have orange anals and some have creamy white anals. The bodies are electric blue/green. This is always an impressive fish. I'm down to 7 tanks. The two locations of velifera and kykesis are now in two tanks instead of 6. One for each species. The symoensi started dropping from old age but I have eggs (I hope!). My gularis fry sexed out to be 3 pair! The F. arnoldi Calabar fry are all sexing out and look good. I had better isolate a few males if I want the long long caudal filaments they can get. The remaining helleri x monty hybrids are females and are now in the hi fin helleri tank. I weeded out all but the female spotted monties, the unspotted female monties and the 3 (spotted x unspotted) males that have developed. Two of these males are fantastic. They are heavy bodied and robust and they carry a yellow color in the body and dorsal fin. I'm still unsure on the dorsal spots as they are the last to develop but they are still better looking than either location. I am worried that they may be the one thing I didn't get in the cross. Most of the new fry in the tank (30) are hybrid fry which makes me happy. All the orange P. picta are sexing out and there are a bunch of the solid orange males. I'm waiting on my Beginner's Guide. Glad Doug is getting you the gardneri. I had his population of nigripinnis and it is not a very colorful one. I'd look around for a nicer one. They are out there.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby,

I sure hope so on the kafuensis! I definetly agree on the plant spawners though I have yet to try the traditional "mop method". Hope you guys have much success keeping those zonatus going. Great news on those gularis! Do you plan to breed them? Looking at photos I think that F. arnoldi is definetly one of the more showy fundulopanchax. I hope that those hybrid monties come out looking better than you expected. Are they showing "hybrid vigour"?

On the nigripinnis, do you happen to know anyone who has a particularly nice strain? I heard that 'Maschwitz'(sp.) and Ibicuisito are considered the most beautiful locations. The nigripinnis in the beginners guide is probably what you are looking for. Picture is rather fuzzy but you can see a very black fish with generous, large, spots. Most photos I've seen online show purply fish with small spots. How much different will SAA be for Nothos?

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast