What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% water change

• Thread starter Gawd_oOo
  • Start date
Just moved a 55 Gal tank yesterday, from a friends house to mine. Had to put the fish in right after the temp was good. Didn't really think I could keep them in a cooler until the tank had time to cycle... 24 hours in they seem to be doing ok still. Even the half dead eel thing is still only half dead.

Anyhow, I'm looking for Angel fish. Anyone know of online retailers that have them? Gonna check the pet shop right by my work, but thats the only pet shop within 40 miles of my house.
smile_h_32.gif

And I don't really think they are gonna have them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I don't really think they are gonna have them
I never seen a fish store or pet store with fish that didn't have angelfish. Good luck with the tank.

the tank wouldnt have to cycle at all if you keep the filter media..did you?

at the old place,
put the fish in a bucket, drain the tank.
rinse out the old filter media in the drained tank water but NOT in tap water..(chlorine will kill the bacteria)
stick the filter media in the bucket with the fish.

move the tank.
fill it with fresh tap water.
use the antichlorine drops to neutralize chlorine.
get the water up to temp.
set up the filter, replace the original filter media in the filter.
add fish.
presto! instantly cycled tank!

as long as you keep the old filter media, you dont have to re-cycle. millions of bacteria come along for the ride..

Scot

Kewl that is almost exactly what I did. I did use tap water but we have well water and no softner, so no chlorine, it is high in iron and sulfur. Filter, fish, driftwood, and plants all made the journey in a cooler. Media in a bucket.

The tank was in bad shape when I picked it up. No one has been living in the house with the tank for 1-2 months. I don't think it was cleaned at all during that time, and the fish where only feed once a week. So I am sure it had plenty of bacteria. Filters looked like they had been changed recently.

Gave it recommended dose of 'stress coat', tho it was a different brand, same concept.

And I got lucky with the angels. The pet shop only gets them from someone locally. I got the last 6, and they looked real healthy. Also picked up 5 Corydoras sipaliwini, they are tiny, can't even be 3/4 of an inch yet.

Back