User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh water aquarium + carnivorous plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hello,

I'm thinking of trying to mix carnivorous plants (from any zone, doesn't matter) and freshwater fish.

Since carnivorous plants require distilled water as do aquariums, this has sparked my interest.

I currently cultivate a venus flytrap, which likes to have it's pot submerged about an inch into distilled water. Though, it seems plausabile at first thought to mix these plant and aquariums- you gotta remember the venus flytrap need lots of sun and isn't quite an indoor plant (unless you use the east or west window)

Does anyone know of a carnivorous plant that could have be part of my aquarium? I'm going to put the pot into the aquarium (either suspended, on a peg, etc) so that it's a little submerged in water.

I'll then have either Hypostomus plecostomus or Corydoras Catfish clean up algae (and hopefully not eat the plant roots?) and simple goldfish in the tank.

I'm looking for a carnivorous plant that likes to be in contact with water (even marginally) and doesn't mind indoor room lighting and temperatures.

I guess if no answers come up, I'll have to consider moving the aquarium to the window sill. That will mean only tropical fish due to the water heat.

I am thankful for any thoughts on this!
    -Krystian.

PS. If worst comes to worst, I'll just grow a Nepenthes Ventricosa in a bowl above the fish tank, and use a "Plant Sitter" (ceramic moisture sensor) to pull water from the fish tank to the plant bowl through capillary action.

I'm just hoping to find some plant that can be more "part of" the aquarium, and knock out some houseflies. By the way: Will Bladderworts fry my fish?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, I would try bladderworts, but not the other species. Welcome to the forums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bladderworts are pretty much the only possibility. Actually I think they can get pretty annoying so usually try to remove as much as possible(U. gibba). Also, some people have grown Aldrovandra in aquariums.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Krystian! I've given some thought to trying something like this, but never went anywhere with it. Bladderworts are an idea, but aren't goldfish grazers? You might have some trouble if you aren't real careful about feeding. Perhaps you could select a different species, particularly one that eats small aquatic insects, like daphnia - that way you could feed your plants and fishes at the same time. Best luck, and please keep us posted when you get things set up.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know distilled water is recommended for some fish like discus... but I wouldn't advise it for the typical aquarium. There's much less of a buffer for pH shifts, and in many cases the fish actually benefit from the minerals in the water. Most of them come from places far from pure. And if you had live un-carnivorous plants, most of them would melt away in no time in distilled water unless a lot of mulm had built up.

That said I have U. gibba in my tanks and it keeps popping up in unexpected places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Since carnivorous plants require distilled water as do aquariums, this has sparked my interest
    yes, CPs require distilled, (or RO water or rain water)
    but aquariums do *not* require distilled..
    in fact, distilled is a very bad, and dangerous, idea for aquariums..
    if you fill an aquarium with distilled, your fish will likely die quickly.
    distilled is TOO pure for aquariums, fish need those minerals, and distilled cant hold a stable PH..it will crash.

use tap water for aquariums..
    even for discus.
    you only need very soft water if you are breeding discus, raising them from eggs.
    and by the time you get to that point, you will know more about PH and hardness than most scientists!

distilled for CPs..very important you dont use tap water.
    tap water for aquariums..very important you dont use distilled.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Can't use tap water for aquariums because the chlorine will kill fish... at least our tap water contains it.

- I'm probably going to get use the ceramic sensor to pump in water from the aquarium into my carnivorous plant (Nepenthes Ventricosa!). I'll put a little sheet or something to prevent clogging the tube, or the ceramic sensor with particulate matter.
    --- Has anyone had problems with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This idea is still in the research phase... I haven't set up the rig just yet.

Maybe I can keep the fish tank in some water with minerals and suck the water through a filter and then into the plant. I don't know if there are any filters that don't require an outside energy source to pull through water.

Of course, since I'm drip feeding the CP, I'm demanding slow stream of water. Therefore, the filter doesn't have to supply water worth anything.

Hey- it's an idea. Maybe I can form a recycled system where I don't have to feed or water my plants! (I wish)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast