What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freshwater aquarium plant bedding?

I've searched the web for this kind of item and I haven't any success finding it.

The other day when I was in Walmart's Aquarium section, I noticed they sold plant bulbs to grow aquarium plants. They had packs of 3 plant bulbs for $2 and some change.

Somewhat familiar with the Ammonia -> Nitrate process, I'm wondering if there is some way to help the cycle, reduce the frequency of changing a tank's water supply, and help mimick the habitat fish live in when in the wild.

Is there a place to get dense aquatic bedding of these underwater (freshwater!) plant bulbs (like a sheet of it that I just would cut and lay on the bottom of the tank)? Would a dense folliage be bad for an aquarium? How about if I have a 1 gallon aquarium?

I realize my goldfish are rather dirty. I was hoping to find a natural solution to help maintain a stable habitat.

Sorry Krystian,
but your idea simply wont work..
because for a "planted tank" you need lots of light, to keep the plants happy and alive.
all that light also makes algae very happy.
you need a LOT of plants to outcompete the algae for nutrients and starve it, otherwise you have an algae farm, and it chokes off your plants.
its a delicate balancing act between your "real" plants..the plants you want, and algae.
it takes a BIG tank to have a sucessfull planted tank..
there is just no way you can make it work in a one gallon..its impossible.
the light you would need would overheat the water..

the only way (and I mean literally *only*! as in "nothing else will work, period."..im not exaggerating)
to keep a stable habitat in a one-gallon tank is to do a 50% water change every other day..
sorry, thats just the nature of such a tiny tank.
they are VERY unstable, because there is such little water..
especially without a filter, if you dont do a 50% water change every other day you can quickly kill the fish from ammonia poisoning..

if you want less maintance, you need a bigger tank.
with a 20 or 29 gallon tank, and a filter, you can get away with a 10% water change once a week..

you dont have a goldfish in that one gallon do you??
I hope not..
very very bad if you do..
I dont mean to sound mean, but you are being very cruel to your fish if you have a goldfish in a one-gallon tank..and you are very likely killing it..
one gallon simply cant support a goldfish..
If you cant buy a bigger tank right now, you should consider giving your fish away to someone who already has goldfish in big tanks..(dont take it back to Walmart! that would be a fate worse than death)

please dont keep anything except one betta in a one gallon tank.
goldfish absolutely require a filter, and 20 gallons per fish minimum.
please read this:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3185614980

i just posted almost this same question on another part of this forum. I have an 80 gallon tank, do you think plant life will do well with a tank this large? i house my turtles only. I do want to add some fish too. Would you have a recommendation on what can live in a turtle environment in terms of plants and fish?

Krystian what were the bullbs called? i want to look the next time i am at walmart.

I hear you about the algae... I learned the hard way, didn't realize direct sunlight was such a bad thing.

Floating plants can help with the algae potential, such as duckweed or water sprite.

the bulbs you saw at walmart were either lilies (large oval-shaped bulbs) or aponogetons (small fuzzy bulbs), both of which i've grown before in straight aquarium gravel in my 10-gallon and 2-gallon tanks. the lilies in particular were absolutely GORGEOUS, one of them had deep burgundy leaves and took up a large part of the 10gal for several months before it died (my tank isn't all that great for plants, they *are* a lot of work). the aponogetons are grassy-looking, grow wickedly fast and get very tall. both look great for a few months but will ultimately die off unless you've got a complete aquatic plant dream tank (CO2, etc). i have to say, though, those lilies were fabulous while they lasted, and they might be worth a shot if only as an experiment. hey, it's only $3, right? ;)

the only other problem here is... goldfish eat EVERYTHING. i converted the aforementioned 10-gallon to a goldfish tank a few months back and the little pig ate every scrap of green off the last aponogeton. i've heard that a few no-brainer, easy-care aquarium plants like java moss or Marimo balls are goldfsh-friendly; the moss can be found at any good fish shop, and the Marimo balls are trickier to find but i absolutely adore mine. it's actually a slow-growing algae that forms a ball shape, and as far as i know goldfish will leave them alone (mine's not with the goldfish, however). neither require any special care other than a bit of light, cut back if the algae starts up. good luck killing either species.

hope i was some help
smile.gif

moonflower what do you mean about CO2? i am looking into a filtration system. thanks, jojo

Krystian and jojo: a planted aquarium is really difficult to obtain. As scottychaos said, in most any planted tank there is a very fine balance between algae and the plants, especially at the beginning--if the algae win, that's it, you have to start over. And with a large tank, this equates to a huge loss of plants if you don't do things right.
My advice: READ! Do you have any books on aquarium plants? Have you looked at a LOT of planted tank websites? Do you know what kinds of plants are good for beginners, low light, fast growing, and which are not?
IMHO, a one gallon tank is inappropriate for like 99.9% of fish, it's just cruel.
Just trying to help. Here's a pretty cool website on planted tanks that gives you the info 'straight' (just ignore all the fertilization stuff): Rex's Planted Aquarium

i'm reading... i feel i need to back to college to understand this stuff. i just want pretty plants in my tank......lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jojo @ July 03 2005,3:11)]Krystian what were the bullbs called? i want to look the next time i am at walmart.
Jojo:

Hello, I was in walmart today and wrote down what I could. I was hoping to be detailed enough so you could be successful with google if you desire:

2 bulb packages

1. Nymphaea Lily Bulbs (Dwarf Lily?) [Red or Green]

UPC: 0 19901 12298 8

2. Apongeton Bulbs

(none in stock)

Produced by:
Sea-Life Inc.
1400 S. Van Eps
Sioux Falls, SD 57105

Hey thanks, thats awesome... i will give them a try. Are you? I think i might start with one of my tanks with these bulbs in there alone. and see if anything grows. But, since i started reading realize the CO2 is a BIG factor, i found something specific for plant aquariums by hagen on petsmart site. $29. to keep the water flowing and adds CO2. But, i think the 1 gallon tank isn't going to cut it. i think i read 3 gal minimum to get plant life to thrive.

Back