Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gn. zonatus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well, at least 30+ Gn. zonatus Finca fry hatched out on the first wetting after 5 months of incubation. Now two of us have stock of this rare location. These will get my full attention as I want this location to finally get established. Knock on wood, they all do well and that the peat has even larger hatches in store after another month.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Funny how the fish can surprise you....did you see any eggs in the peat?

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Also, what makes zonatus one of the more challenging killies?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Nope, didn't see an egg one. Zonatus is challenging as it requires work outside the normal killie patterns. It needs a big tank -- 20 gallon high at least. It is a true diver so it needs deep peat -- 6-8 inches. It needs heat -- 80-84F. The eggs have to be incubated at 82F so that they will hatch on time and not rest or die. They need live foods like fruit flies and worms. They also need veggie flakes as they like plant material. They are a bit odd but well worth it as they possess an awesome grace and spectacular beauty in the 5 inch size! One of nature's perfect creations. A little other-worldly -- not unlike the great dolichopterus. Now Gn. hoignei is even trickier and the eggs take 6-7 months to hatch at 80-82F. What is weird is that the zonatus body is hard and the hoignei body is so soft to the touch. Totally different. Then hoignei with those 2 inch streamers off each ray of the caudal fin -- mindblowing.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen many pictures but most appear not to represent the best of the fish. In the photos showing mature males the fins look larger than those on an artificially done veil tail betta! Not to mention the streamers which perhaps could be equivalent to a "crown tail" betta. Perhaps they'd ought to be dubbed "king of the SAA". Seems like they must live in some kind of rainforest pools to get those kind of temperatures. How many people keep these species with the less than typical requirements? Are the Pterolebias similar? They look rather similar in looks.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Gnatholebias used to be in Pterolebias until all the genus spliting of the late 1990's. They are considered the King of the SAA's -- along with the amazing Gn. hoignei and T. dolichopterus. The zonatus come from the llanos which are open plains area in Venezuela so the temps can get pretty high. 78F is the lowest and temps approaching 90 are common. Hoignei usually comes from shadier habitats in the area. A perfect male of either species is truly majestic, easily rivaling a male blue gularis. The photos rarely capture the electric blue/green body of a good zonatus -- not to mention their regal swimming and spawning behavior. The streamers on zonatus are on the top 5 rays of the caudal but on hoignei they are on every caudal ray and extend 2 inches. These are very peaceful fish with the males hardly botehring the females during breeding. I love them. They and Callopanchax species are my favorite killies. The fry at 3 weeks are between 1/2 and one inch. Time to go into a 30 gallon. I hope I get a balanced sex ratio.

Sadly, I think most people keep Gnatholebias like other killies which is why they are so rare. They are not that difficult if you do it their way.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I transferred 34 one inch zonatus fry to their 30 gallon tank today. They are looking good. Now if the sex ratio will just go well. How are all the fish Dustin? Any more fry? Have the gardneri given you eggs yet Joseph? With the hurricane I thinned everything down to breeders and a next generation of breeders in case the power went. I have very empty tanks now. Oh, wll, it's best for the upcoming move.

Bobby

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

Hopefully the zonatus come out well for ya. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] The gardneri have indeed been laying eggs like crazy but I have not yet removed any. The splendopleure are also doing well and I've got maybe 3-4 young pairs growing up plus a few juveniles. The Elassoma fry are growing and more are appearing so hopefully I get a nice batch for next year. Jordanella are also growing...though they are growing fast! The adults are laying even more eggs. I got a trade from someone in Singapore exchanging a few of these eggs for some Taiwan moss. I'm curious if these eggs will survive the trip...he claims he's sent out moss which contained eggs of Oryzias and had them hatch when sent in the manner he instructed me.

How many species are you currently keeping now that you have trimmed them down a bit?
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

You'll get gardneri fry in the parents' tank if there are enough plants. Gardneri were the first killies I successfully bred and the fry just appeared in the tank. Good to hear that the pygmies are doing well for you. I hope the trade goes well. What is Taiwan Moss?

I have my monty cross, the nezzies, the Phalloceros, the orange pictas, the zonatus, the calabarica, arnoldi, hi fin lyretail swords, helleri x monty hybrids, blue gularis, velifera and kykesis (petenensis). Everything is down to breeders. The mollies will soon go to Florida and the swords to Colorado. The killies will be distributed here. The guy in CO originally gave me my nezzies so we want to cross the 2 strains that are now probably 10-15 generations apart.

Bobby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast