What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trip to Wharton Park...XCPs!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Well I just got back home from the trip to Wharton Park in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Although it was all to brief for me, I had a blast. Not the least of which was finally meeting more forum members...Joe/JBL (again), Steve/Elgecko, Bob/NJNewbie and Mark/Ozzy. Everyone was SO nice...just like I knew they would be. (Well...OK...except for Ozzy who was lethal with his snake tongs...
confused.gif
) Steve, Bob and Joe got there a day or so before so they got more time to explore. Although the time was waaaaaaaaaaay too short, I had a blast and saw some beautiful sights! There were purps all over and sometimes you just couldn't help from stepping on the sundews. There was a green snake, frogs and even a horse in the bog (with a rather snooty rider).

I'm sure there will be pics posted soon. I have to download mine tomorrow.

But what I reaaaaally want to know is...how many people are itching?? There were CHIGGERS! I found a couple on me but I think Ozzy found a lot more on him. I'm wondering, Steve, since you were in shorts....have you felt a tad itchy? Got any red spots?
laugh.gif
I'm wondering who got the most chiggers?

Thanks everyone for a very fun boggy experience.
biggrin.gif

Had a great time also.
Glad to meet up with some other members as well.
I'm going to try to work on getting my pics up ASAP.

You guys were great, but the chiggers are now my best, BEST friends! I'm covered in them, along with ticks in unsavory places. Where are those tongs when you need them?
confused.gif

Ohhhh...ticks?? I hadn't thought of that. So far I haven't found any. Maybe I should check myself again....
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Sep. 18 2005,9:39)]Ohhhh...ticks??  I hadn't thought of that.  So far I haven't found any.  Maybe I should check myself again....  
confused.gif
Shall I give suggestions of where to look?  Have someone check behind your knees for one.  I had a deer tick there once for three days, and it was only discovered when my brother saw the bulls eye rash...

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I used to get ticks all the time when I was a kid. I'd find them in my scalp and one time in my ear.
confused.gif

I just got home 11pm.
It was nice meeting everybody, including Joe. LOL

I am so glad to see, I'm not the only one that poached chiggers. I bet I poached more than anybody else. I have 30 of them. I knew I was in trouble last night after I took a shower and started finding them on me. I picked off about 8 chiggers last night. I have around 20 or 30 bites mostly on my ankles and feet. I guess I'm a chigger magnet. I told you guys I always get them. I knew I should have used more bug spray.
I can't wait until we do it again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Sep. 18 2005,11:22)]I just got home 11pm.
It was nice meeting everybody, including Joe. LOL
Do I detect sarcasm? Listen Tong Boy, I beat you cold in the chigger dept. I had well over one hundred on each foot, not to mention unmentionables. I knew something like this would happen just standing close to you!
smile_n_32.gif

Joe! I hope you are kidding! Did you really have over a hundred on each foot??
confused.gif
How come I don't have any? I found a few crawling around my ankles but so far I have no itchy spots. I guess my blood is too sweet for chiggers.
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry I missed you all! Bad luck, and not a small amount of STOOOOOOPIDITY on my part. I WAS there, just never ran into everyone.
smile_h_32.gif

Next time I will be more organized.

We were so disappointed Schloaty.
smile_h_32.gif
And I wanted to see Miranda too. But you gotta look for the good in every bad thing...at least you didn't get any chiggers!
smile_l_32.gif

Hey,
How come I didn't get any chiggers either? Could it be the gallon of toxic bug spray I applied every day. You know the stuff that says don't spray near eyes and face, and don't drink(duh). Spraying it on your arms and legs, and then sweating profusely isn't harmful, because there's no such thing as trans dermal absorbation(that's my story and I'm stickin to it).
Or maybe I was standing close enough to the chick, I mean tick magnet. I hear they're a sucker for a nice set of tongs!
p.s. had a great time, and it was a pleasure meeting all of you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Sep. 19 2005,10:01)]Joe!  I hope you are kidding! Did you really have over a hundred on each foot??  
confused.gif

Your blood must be too sweet PAK!  I did not exaggerate--at all.  In fact, I probably underestimated.  I did not apply spray to my feet, but did apply it to my ankles and legs.  As you recall, I was wearing shorts, and those short athletic socks.  I guess the chiggers on my ankles got a taste of the deet and moved south.  Unfortunately, those on my upper legs got a taste, and moved NORTH--enough said...  
smile_t_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

I actually remembered to PACK bug repellent. I did not remember to USE bug repellent. But maybe that's why I didn't get any chiggers.
biggrin.gif

I remembered to use the bug spray. I didn't put a lot on because I didn't think they would be that bad. I'm use to the bugs in the green swamp and I thought the jersey bugs woud be that bad.

WRONG

I sprayed only my arms and face.

So I'm sure you can guess where I got all the chiggers. See joe we do have something in common.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Sep. 19 2005,6:31)]See joe we do have something in common.
smile_h_32.gif
I'm so sorry...You see, the North and South do have something in common--chiggers both North and South--Yuck.

I scraped a great deal of these buggers off with a sharpened gerber blade.  I don't recommend that you attempt this with a machete.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I didn't, I used my nails to scrape them off. Next time I will be sure to bring my reptile relief. Kills on contact.

Back