Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane rita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sigh", this FREAKING sucks. I am right here in the way of this thing. I swear God has a heck of a sense of humor. We JUST started getting the evac's from Louisiana jobs and homes, now WE (Texans) might end up being evac's ourself. Oh well, I got a 24 pack and plenty of guns. Bring it on, I'm ready to ride this out.

-Rail

------------------
    Edited: This a family site please!

My life sucks

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for one of my catch phrases

Now, I am not in any way saying I have powers or that I ever did. I simply had enough foresight to predict a pattern of geophysical events that might play themselves out during my lifetime. I based this on the research of some scientists and info from the bible. Will I be right? Probably not, and hopefuly not. Hell, I'm only 16, right? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

--------------
    Edited; Family site, please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losfreddy:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]They say Rita is gonna hit the Texas coast and bring winds up to 110 miles in my area and bring flash flooding and tornadoes. the city of Katy is having a Voluntary Evacuation. Everyone is headed east out away from Houston on 90. all the pumps are out of gas or running out of gas and lines flooding out into the street. On top of the pin oak overpass looking onto I-10, there are cars bumper to bumper to as far as the eye can see. I've never seen so many cars. on 99 north it is so backed up, people are stopped and out of their cars. all the guns, toilet paper and water have been cleared off of all the shelfs at wal-mart and go as quickly as they come. Everyone i know is leaving. My cousin to Missouri, my friends to be with their families in other towns. In my house we have bottles of water and gallon jugs filled up. My food dehydrator is filled to capacity preserving all the meat before we loose the freezers. Theres alota of Kerosene lamps candles and lanterns out here. All of our camping gear and First aid kits on the floor in the living room. A giant bucket of matches by the rocking chair. I have my 12 volt recharged. my hurricane light and all the propane cans we can find. I even have a peculator and a portable propane stove so my father and I can have coffee in the mornings after. As the storm approaches, the town i grew up in seems more and more like a ghost town. Please pray for us in Texas as Hurricane Rita comes to the coast. It is the 3rd strongest storm to hit the United States Ever.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Central pressure is down to 897. The record is 888 I believe. Sustained winds of 175mph, gusts to 215mph.

Katrina slightly weakened to a cat 4 as it hit land. Rita is spending more time over the warm Gulf water, so it will possiby be still a cat 5 as it hits land [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 21 2005,6:18)]
    Quote[/b] ]I'd like to slap some of the people who fought so fiercely against the idea of climate change. It's real, and it's global!
    Hurricane activity cannot be linked so definitely to climate change. Over the last decade there have actually been fewer cyclones and typhoons worldwide, although more have reached category 4 and 5. The exception is the North Atlantic where there have been more frequent and stronger hurricanes. You're looking at a fairly narrow corridor of water here, stretching from west Africa into the Carribbean and Gulf waters. What relationship does an increase in storm activity here, yet a drop elsewhere in the world have with global warming? Localised increases in sea temperature lasting a decade or more are nothing unusual, and America was still getting pummelled by category 5s in the past.
    I dont agree.
    When I met Jekka McVicar, she said that when she moved here 25 years ago it was just breezes in winter......but now its HUGE gales and fences get blown away and stuff.
    And I can back that up.......for last few years the gales got worse and every winter our fence gets knocked over or severly damaged.
    When I first moved to england there were gales, but never ever as bad as this.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually global warming is nothing new. It has happened over and over again in the earth's history and is a completely natural thing and will continue to happen until the demise of the earth. I just attended a fascinating lecture by a geology professor (who had a lovely Irish accent I might add [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] ) who is studying climate history.

You'd be amazed at what is known about the earth climate millions and millions of years ago from studying fossils, ice cores, rocks, and many other things.

There is a constant cycle of Ice Ages followed by global warming and then cooling back to Ice Ages...over and over again. There is nothing we can do about it. The professor spoke of SO many factors that influence this cycle that are totally beyond out control (like wind and water currents, plant life, etc.) it will never be stopped...nor should it. It is our earth's life cycle.

As humans with such short life spans in comparison to our planet, we only see a very slim slice of its life. So we see a warming trend and freak out that it spells gloom and doom. Does it spell changes for the earth? Yes. But its a pretty gradual trend. A lot the things that effect the ozone layer are natural (such as the TONS of methane produced naturally by living creatures and decaying plant material); what humans produce "artificially" is but a drop in the bucket. That is not to say that we shouldn't be mindful of what we are adding to it, but humans are not responsible for the reduction of the ozone layer and the warming we are seeing. Again, its a completely natural and predictable cycle in the earth's life when you look at the broad picture. Our earth is NOT static! Its always changing...in minute steps over millions of years.

I wish I had a copy of this professors talk because it was truly fascinating. I learned a LOT! And this wasn't his personal "theories" but accepted data from decades of climate study on the earth thru prehistoric times by climatologists, geologists, paleontologists, etc.

So no need to squawk about global warming. The earth will warm...and it will cool again...and warm again....and cool again. We just won't be around when the next batch of humans start agonizing over "global cooling". lol And what about "continental shifting"? Think the earth looked the same 100s of millions of years ago as it looks today? No. Totally different! But nobody is talking and worrying about "when the continents collide!"

All these changes happen for a reason...and that reason is much bigger than just burning fossil fuels.

Anyway...hurricane Rita is a tragedy about to happen. I feel so sorry for the people who are going to have to go through this and for the evacuees having to go through it a second time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Rita is a monster of a storm.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I dont agree.
    When I met Jekka McVicar, she said that when she moved here 25 years ago it was just breezes in winter......but now its HUGE gales and fences get blown away and stuff.
    And I can back that up.......for last few years the gales got worse and every winter our fence gets knocked over or severly damaged.
    When I first moved to england there were gales, but never ever as bad as this.
    When did you move to England Dino? I'm thinking you won't be able to remember much before you were 7, which was 98/99? There were big storms in 1987, 1990 and 1997 in particular, but look at Brit Weather and you'll see there were still plenty of storms throughout the 20th century.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK we have direct evidence that CFC's are directly responsible for the major reduction on ozone levels. since the ban on them, the ozone hole has stabilized and is indeed starting to heal. Coincidence? i think not
    that makes no logic

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast