Thread: Hurricane rita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Not lookin' good for Galveston

NY Times: Rita Strengthens to Category 5 as It Moves Across Gulf

Anybody nearby wanna give their perspective?
    Good luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

~ Brett

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just what FEMA and the American Red Cross need now. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] A Cat 5. Not to mention that whole gulf coast area AND the relocated Katrina victims.

What a terrible hurricane season we're having. I heard that four more storms and they will have to resort to the greek alphabet for names.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that's true. Got so many storms they ran out of names! I'd like to slap some of the people who fought so fiercely against the idea of climate change. It's real, and it's global! I would whole heartedly sugdest that everybody fill up on gas now. I care about you all, and want you to be saved from the jump in gas prices that will occur [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did and told all my family too also - they're predicting the same type of gas price gouging as post-Katrina.

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'd like to slap some of the people who fought so fiercely against the idea of climate change. It's real, and it's global!
    Hurricane activity cannot be linked so definitely to climate change. Over the last decade there have actually been fewer cyclones and typhoons worldwide, although more have reached category 4 and 5. The exception is the North Atlantic where there have been more frequent and stronger hurricanes. You're looking at a fairly narrow corridor of water here, stretching from west Africa into the Carribbean and Gulf waters. What relationship does an increase in storm activity here, yet a drop elsewhere in the world have with global warming? Localised increases in sea temperature lasting a decade or more are nothing unusual, and America was still getting pummelled by category 5s in the past.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will probably go back down to a cat. 4 by the time it reaches land.

they should make a Hurricane Clinton.... The Thun-da from down un-da!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go through periods of different activity levels with hurricanes. I think I heard that we are in a 500 year peak. That means that on average, we have a season like this season every 500 years. This whole decade is in that peak. So we still have a few more years of this. The last 20 years have been a low period. Meaning less storms. The peak started around 1996. There are two factors that make hurricanes. One is of course water temps. The other is rainfall on the east cost of Africa. If They have a dry winter, we have less hurricane, and if they have a wet winter we have more.

Most of what I said above is from sothing I read once and I typed it from memory, so it may not be 100% true.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Climate change isn't only storms. Our ozone is decreasing, and temps are rising in areas, and lowering in areas where it shouldn't. In other words, the climate is changing, and it may not be so much "global" warming. You do know our polar caps are melting at a frightening rate, and there is this peat bog up in the north that's rapidly melting, and as it does it will release literally tons of methane which will make our atmosphere heat up because it's a major greenhouse gas.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast