What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An open letter to anyone who drives

trashcan

O:-)
Please be considerate!

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm convinced most people don't understand it- so I'll spell out what I hope is obvious. If you hit a motorcyclist, there is an incredibly high chance of causing serious damage to the rider. If you threaten a motorcyclist, it is much more than road rage - it's a threat of physical violence.

So please take this into account when you're tailgating, when you're cutting someone off, when you pull into (or merge onto a highway) traffic without looking, when you're wandering around which ever lanes please you the most while talking on your cellphone, while you're completely turned around yelling at your kids, while you're attempting to unsafely pass , or anything else equally as dangerous.

A simple fall at any speed for a motorcyclist WILL be painful. There's really no way around it. It starts at bruises and road rash (skin scraped/burned off by pavement), and goes all the way to a fatal accident. I completely accept the risk, but that doesn't mean I have to accept terrible driving. I've only been riding motorcycles for a short while, but I've already experienced all of the things I listed above.

Think when you drive.
smile.gif

PS: Yes I know this terribly cliched, and won't somebody think of the kids, and so painfully obvious that it's silly to post. But I hope against hope that people just don't realize how serious of an effect their driving can have on other people. That lady in the white SUV who passed me on the right in a school zone and forced me to cross the double yellow towards oncoming traffic, so she could brake 25 yards ahead and make a turn, hopefully she didn't realize that she could have easily injured me.

Traffic accidents are among the most preventable, tragic, and stupid way to die. Your messge is not cliched, or stupid.

I'm also a licensed motorcyclist, and the things you see just make you shake your head sometimes.

Capslock

When you hop on a motorcycle you are accepting the great risk of being injuried in a vehicle accident. We refer to them as organ donors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Sep. 22 2005,1:41)]When you hop on a motorcycle you are accepting the great risk of being injuried in a vehicle accident. We refer to them as organ donors.
And that means other people might as well threaten you with physical violence, since you're gonna crash and burn eventually, anyway?

With "We" you mean the medical community, I presume?

Law Enforcement Officers.

Well threaten is threaten no matter what form of vehical you are traveling on. If you concsiously choose to travel in a vehicle that has higher risks then you are accepting those risks. If you choose to climb a rock face to reach the top of a summit rather then take the stairs in the rear then you are choosing a more adventurous route and in the process a more dangerous route.

Ha! Why don't you watch where I'm going?!?

kidding!

smile_m_32.gif

I think what you're saying applies to everyone who drives any vehicle. I don't have a very long drive to work but almost every day I see someone do something foolish near me that could cause an accident. I try to be careful around bikers because they are so "exposed" BUT I can't tell you how many times I've seen motorcyclists doing something stupid like flying waaaaay over the speed limit weaving in and out of cars really fast to work their way further down the lanes of traffic. THAT irritates the hell out of me. I've even seen bikers drive down the middle of the road in between two lanes of traffic.
mad.gif

So...I understand what you're saying but I've seen bikers do things that could cause ME an accident! And also car drivers too...like when there are TWO left turn lanes and the person in the far left lane doesn't understand he has to *STAY in HIS lane* while he's making the turn! I couldn't count how many times I've saved myself from an accident because I was WATCHING for that idiotic move and gave way for the moron to cut in front of me.

AND while we're grousing...PLEASE USE SIGNALS!! Some drivers seem to have forgotten their driver's education that says its a LAW you must give a signal before turning. And by that, I don't mean flick the signal on AS you are turning. What I do in my car often depends on what the OTHER guy does with his car. There are so many people who drive around and NEVER give a signal when they are turning. Road rage!

Should start a topic on what's your biggest driving pet peeve.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]when you're wandering around which ever lanes please you the most while talking on your cellphone

Is that still legal in America? It was banned here about a year ago. Get lobbying!
smile.gif

Yeah I wish it would be banned here. I think some local areas have bans.

Even though it's banned here, a woman was on a phone in the car in front. She suddenly wobbled across the road and nearly hit the curb.

Numpty.

Its supposed to be illegal here, least up in the Northcountry here. I tested this fact by talking on my phone in front of a cop, and he did nothing, I was sure he saw me too. But I just leave mine on the seat and don't answer it till I get where I'm going, besides I can't talk on mine and drive....just can't focus that well.

Our driving with hand-held cell phone ban goes into effect on Oct 1 and I don't expect to see LEO's suddenly pulling over lots of drivers talking on cell phones.  Unless they're dark skinned drivers talking on cell phones.

I walk a lot and I suppose LEO's feel that's my decision to be so risky and I shouldn't expect safety.  Somebody almost hit me a couple years ago, turning right at a red light while hardly slowing.  Right in front of a LEO who had to see it.  But I guess I was asking for it since I was walking the mile downtown instead of driving some big SUV in which I would have been safer.

Dark skinned drivers talking on cell phones? Not to sure what you are implying. Does talking on a cell phone while having a tan have adverse health effects I am unaware of?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Sep. 23 2005,1:34)]Dark skinned drivers talking on cell phones? Not to sure what you are implying. Does talking on a cell phone while having a tan have adverse health effects I am unaware of?
He's obviously referring to racial profiling.
smile_l_32.gif

Also, like I said in my original post, I'm aware that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than riding in a car. It's also more fun and fuel efficient. Everyone is allowed to decide to what risks they are willing to accept. I'm sure on the other extreme end they are people who refuse to drive cars because it's not safe, or only drive Excursions. You seem to have missed the "spirit" of my original post, which was to encourage people to be more responsible and considerate while driving. With that said, your organ donor comment is nothing more than petty name calling. I'm sure my friends have denigrating nicknames for police officers, and I'm sure they'd be just as constructive.

If a few people read the original post and decided to drive a little more carefully, I'd be pretty satisfied. Car accidents (car and car) can obvoiusly cause fatalities and maimings, too - so I just wish people would take that to heart when considering the trivial advantages that driving reckless affords.

No name calling it was an attempt to be humorous. Obviously I am not as funny as I would like to think.

People have denigrating name for LEO's? I don't belive I have ever encountered one during my career.

The 'spirit' of that comment was also to be humorous if it was not easily interperated.

Maybe after enough people have decided to drive more carefully after your original post you can make a new one stressing the importance of children not playing with matches?

A law banning cell phone use that allows LEO's to profile on the basis of race is not needed. There are more then enough reason to pull anyone over on the road if the LEO so desires. If a particular LEO does not have enough integrity to do his job w/o racial profiling then he should lose his job. The current bill in question will not to anything to help or hurt the illegal practice of racial profiling.

I think the original post here is of an obvious point. I rode for a lil while... And did notice people not noticing me. But! At the same point, if you keep your eyes open when you drive in a car... The same stuff happens to you. You just don't pay so much attention to it because your not exposed like you are on a bike. But be nice to Pats reqest... as obvious as it may seem
smile_m_32.gif
Rule one people. Beeeee nice. That should not only go for the forum. But also for out in the world..... I'm don't think there is anyone that could dissagree with that.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just can't focus that well.
Why? it doesnt seem to stop other people

If all states would require that motorcyclists to carry a firearm while riding, there would be far fewer inattentive motorists.

Or have loud pipes on your bike
smile_m_32.gif
If they can't see you they'll sure hear you!

Ive been riding for well over 10 years now and I have seen more than my fair share of stupid moron car drivers that just flat do not pay attention to what they are doing. I have been down before, both of my own, and someone elses doing. I tell you from experience that it is not fun. I got cut off and nearly sideswiped in a neighborhood backroad by some guy who didnt bother to look to see if anyone was comming at him when he made a right turn without stopping. Just because there is no "stop" or "yield" sign posted does not mean that you can just tear around corners with wreckless abandon. Suffered a broken wrist and $2000 dollars damages to my bike on that one.

I agree whole heartedly with Pat on this..  Yes I assume a certain risk by riding my bike..  but I shouldnt have to be put at greater risk simply because the car drivers cant be bothered to learn to drive correctly. Personally I think it should be a requirement that EVERYONE that drives have to learn and accumulate hours on both a motorcycle AND a stickshift car. I would also be a big supporter of making the tests MUCH harder. There are just WAYYYYYY too many people out there who simply should not have a liscence at all.

Just my $.02
Steve

Back