Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to anyone who drives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please be considerate!

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm convinced most people don't understand it- so I'll spell out what I hope is obvious. If you hit a motorcyclist, there is an incredibly high chance of causing serious damage to the rider. If you threaten a motorcyclist, it is much more than road rage - it's a threat of physical violence.

So please take this into account when you're tailgating, when you're cutting someone off, when you pull into (or merge onto a highway) traffic without looking, when you're wandering around which ever lanes please you the most while talking on your cellphone, while you're completely turned around yelling at your kids, while you're attempting to unsafely pass , or anything else equally as dangerous.

A simple fall at any speed for a motorcyclist WILL be painful. There's really no way around it. It starts at bruises and road rash (skin scraped/burned off by pavement), and goes all the way to a fatal accident. I completely accept the risk, but that doesn't mean I have to accept terrible driving. I've only been riding motorcycles for a short while, but I've already experienced all of the things I listed above.

Think when you drive. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

PS: Yes I know this terribly cliched, and won't somebody think of the kids, and so painfully obvious that it's silly to post. But I hope against hope that people just don't realize how serious of an effect their driving can have on other people. That lady in the white SUV who passed me on the right in a school zone and forced me to cross the double yellow towards oncoming traffic, so she could brake 25 yards ahead and make a turn, hopefully she didn't realize that she could have easily injured me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traffic accidents are among the most preventable, tragic, and stupid way to die. Your messge is not cliched, or stupid.

I'm also a licensed motorcyclist, and the things you see just make you shake your head sometimes.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you hop on a motorcycle you are accepting the great risk of being injuried in a vehicle accident. We refer to them as organ donors.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Sep. 22 2005,1:41)]When you hop on a motorcycle you are accepting the great risk of being injuried in a vehicle accident. We refer to them as organ donors.
    And that means other people might as well threaten you with physical violence, since you're gonna crash and burn eventually, anyway?

With "We" you mean the medical community, I presume?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Law Enforcement Officers.

Well threaten is threaten no matter what form of vehical you are traveling on. If you concsiously choose to travel in a vehicle that has higher risks then you are accepting those risks. If you choose to climb a rock face to reach the top of a summit rather then take the stairs in the rear then you are choosing a more adventurous route and in the process a more dangerous route.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Why don't you watch where I'm going?!?

kidding!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you're saying applies to everyone who drives any vehicle. I don't have a very long drive to work but almost every day I see someone do something foolish near me that could cause an accident. I try to be careful around bikers because they are so "exposed" BUT I can't tell you how many times I've seen motorcyclists doing something stupid like flying waaaaay over the speed limit weaving in and out of cars really fast to work their way further down the lanes of traffic. THAT irritates the hell out of me. I've even seen bikers drive down the middle of the road in between two lanes of traffic. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

So...I understand what you're saying but I've seen bikers do things that could cause ME an accident! And also car drivers too...like when there are TWO left turn lanes and the person in the far left lane doesn't understand he has to *STAY in HIS lane* while he's making the turn! I couldn't count how many times I've saved myself from an accident because I was WATCHING for that idiotic move and gave way for the moron to cut in front of me.

AND while we're grousing...PLEASE USE SIGNALS!! Some drivers seem to have forgotten their driver's education that says its a LAW you must give a signal before turning. And by that, I don't mean flick the signal on AS you are turning. What I do in my car often depends on what the OTHER guy does with his car. There are so many people who drive around and NEVER give a signal when they are turning. Road rage!

Should start a topic on what's your biggest driving pet peeve. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]when you're wandering around which ever lanes please you the most while talking on your cellphone
    Is that still legal in America? It was banned here about a year ago. Get lobbying! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast