Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serving size

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Very time efficient thinking. Pancakes are very filling and one big one would do. But 3 or 4 look very pretty stacked up high with boysenberry syrup dribbling over the sides and a pat (or a stick) of butter on the top. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

French toast and waffles are good too.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple google search of "Serving Size" yielded these three helpful results:

Exactly what is a serving?
    [PDF] USDA: Serving Sizes in the Food Guide Pyramid and on the Nutrition Facts ...
    Making Sense of Serving Sizes - health information

The best explanation I've found thus far is:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]"The Nutrition Facts label lists the serving size of the food and the
    number of servings per container. It also identifies and quantifies
    key nutrients in a serving as a percentage of Daily Values (%DV)
    for a 2,000-calorie diet. Before FDA regulation, the choice of
    serving sizes on food labels was up to the discretion of individual
    food manufacturers. Serving sizes are now more uniform. The
    Nutrition Facts label, therefore, enables nutritional comparisons of
    similar foods. The label is now ubiquitous on food packages and
    widely recognized by consumers."
    Hope that helps!

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]unless you have an unusually high metabolism, it's all you really need.
    Yep, that's me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I have a hard time finding foods that have enough calories to fuel this body of mine. What's up with all the foods that have 250 calories per serving and there are only 2 or 3 servings in the package? I need 1000 or more calories per serving. I was going to start riding my bicycle to work to save $$$ on gas, however with my fast metabolism it actually would cost me more $$$$ to get to work and back than the gas would cost [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A serving size to me is what gets me to full. Beyond that, if the Government posts the serving size to be a certain amount, I don't believe them. They have lied to everybody so far, so why stop now? Set your limits, and forget the rest.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think serving sizes should be delineated by method in which served. For example...a serving size of roast beef would be a "slab", a serving size of mashed potatoes would be a "splat" topped with a "glop" of gravy. Then you'd have a "ladle" of peas and "hunk" of bread. Calories, fat, fiber and carbs would have nothing to do with these serving sizes. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you really need to survive are sufficient amounts of the vitamins, amino acids, proteins, trace elements and minerals that mantain our bodies. Often, we are strong enough to keep going despite lacking certain nutrients, particularly when we eat lots of fats and sugars for temporary sustinance. If we intake foods that have the highest concentrations of nutrients, we won't haveto eat as much. Our bodies aren't eating for mass, they are eating for energy and the specific parts that keep us functioning. I have started a diet the last few months. I have sought foods with the highest concentration of all the vitamins I need. Foods like goji berries and cacao beans (chocolate beans) are some of the most nutritious foods in the world. I went a whole day just eating small amounts of those, and felt just fine. It wasn't that I was starving myself, but I just wasn't hungry and forgot to eat anything else. I also eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and kelog's smart start antioxidant cereal, and minimal amounts of meat. You should also eat as many raw foods as you can. I feel great since I've been doing this, and I don't have a lot of random health problems like I used to. In theese days of wealth and high technology, we need to take advantage of it and give our bodies the best and not indulge in foods that really aren't good for us.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (fatboy @ Sep. 24 2005,2:05)]I agree Jim, the "official" serving size on most packets is ridiculous, even those mini packs of peanuts that they used to serve when you got on a plane were about 1 1/2 servings.

Incidentally, I make my pancakes exactly the same way you do, one mega-flapjack that fills the pan. I only have to cook the one pancake, cover it in syrup and sit down to eat it. Why do the same work 4 times ? ? ? ?

I think it's all decided by the oomba loombas, those little dudes that work for Willy Wonka.
    Troy, you and I (and also PAK & Bugweed) are on the same wavelength!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A serving size is that which gets me full, and it doesn't take that much, really. Buffets make money on me, unless bacon is involved.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast