What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The coffee project

losfreddy

Composter
I have raised this new idea about adding coffee to increase acidity and to boost start growth in CPs. i have had growing sucess with coffee growing other such things and i find it to help at least decently in the growth of the plant. I always had to dilute the coffee in water because it was too acidic and many things wouldn't start growing. Some growing mediums ive heard of was the use of peat moss and Oyster Shells. Peat Moss is acidic and Oyster Shells (Calcium Carbonate) would help neutralize it. Then it hit me. Coffee could be used to help grow CPs sense they need high Acidity anyways to grow. The plants in the experiments that im using coffee in are showing above average growth rates. dammed if i know what part of the coffee did it thou. probably the caffine. I guess, just like people the coffee can give the plant a caffine buzz and cause increase growth rate. As for use on CPs., i think it may work wounders.

Pine needles also acidify, if you have those laying around. I use them in my Nep baskets.

Coffee is a seed and hence full of plant food to supply the germinating coffee tree. I would imagine that a good portion of these nutrients would come out of the bean into the water when brewed. In essence your fertilizing your plants.

I'm not sure it would have any effect. Peat is pH 4-5, so IF it was made lower, I would expect by a tiny amount. More to the point, no CP is going to grow better in pH 4.5, rather than 5.0.

You'd need to set up a control for this kind of experiment and find two genetically identical plants of the same age.

I'm going to move thins to the General forum since it has nothing to do with conservation.

caffein is a drug. its a stimulant and it affects the central nervous system. plants don't have a central nervous system.

i'm sure the coffee couldn't hurt though. just saying that caffein wont do anything by itsself. if you do want to try it, crush up some caffein pills like no-doz and water them with the caffein water. you can then test that against the control group and the coffee group.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i'm sure the coffee couldn't hurt though. just saying that caffein wont do anything by itsself. if you do want to try it, crush up some caffein pills like no-doz and water them with the caffein water. you can then test that against the control group and the coffee group.

No sense in creating the car before the wheel- if you catch my drift. Try coffee first, and if it works, then you can work towards trying to figure out what the contributing factors are.

your right EST.

man, i love caffein. sure could use a cup of coffee right about now.

Back