Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientists capture giant squid...on camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this in another forum that I surfed, thought it will be interesting to post it here.
    http://www.nbc4.com/irresistible/5029310/detail.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, I saw that one today. It's cool that they finally got a live one on video/picture, even if it was on the small side. Still, it's exciting.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they know where to approximately find them so hopefully they will see more of them now.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about this earlier today. Really cool stuff! I've always been really intrigued by giant squids, so I really hope they're on the right track to get footage of the huge ones. In the video clip I saw, the guy was talking about how they can grow to be as big as 18 meters long (26 feet), or rather the height of a 5 story building!

I don't think I want to go near the ocean ever again... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its not a hoax, woweewow [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Mens Et Manus

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting story but that's a shame it lost a tentacle. And also sucks that that guy caught 17 babies and they all died. That seems like a bit too much "taking of the sea" for experimentation. That's 17 giant squid that never lived to maturity. How about starting with ONE and seeing if you can keep it alive?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway...they are mysterious creatures for sure. It would be cool to get a live one on film.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. Photos at last! I am familiar with the O'Shea expedition that brought back the 17 baby squid. The thing is, it's nearly impossible to catch 'just one'. They are hatched in swarms of hundreds or thousands. Only a few will survive any amount of time at all, much less make it to maturity. He happened to luck into an area where a very large number of said offspring had gathered to feed.

A newly-hatched giant squid is the size of your little fingernail, or smaller! Squid seem to go for the reproductive strategy of 'quantity rather than quality'. Most die very early in life, it seems. They have no parental care, and have to fend for themselves in an ocean of predators while they are still the size of krill.

17 for the sake of science is not a significant number in terms of overall population. The whole purpose was to try and determine if they could be raised in captivity as other squid have been. But it appears we don't know enough yet about their lifecycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever heard of the Butterfly Effect? 17 in the name of science was too many.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast