Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian tortoise - winter care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off anyone else have one of these? If so what kind of artificial lighting are you using with your indoor habitat for the winter?

I did some reading that they require UV-A and UV-B in order to stay healthy. Does anyone know if Phillips Daylight Deluxe florescent bulbs output any UV-A/B? It doesn't say anything about UV on the bulbs. I'm using a 48" shoplight with 2 daylight deluxe bulbs to light his habitat anyways. I know you can buy a basking light, but the clamp fixture itself is $35 then you have to pay for the bulb. So any info on this stuff would be helpful.

Thanks
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about a real tortoise (not a plant named Russian Tortoise...a name that might fit a slow-growing nep or something... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] )... your subject might be better served in the Herp forum. I can move this topic for you if you like...or it can stay here.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is a tortoise, not a plant.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one knows? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal fluorescent bulbs do not put out much UV.

Your basically talking a tanning bulb. They make special bulbs for reptiles. Is the animal outdoors now getting real sunshine? If it is indoors all the time then it would need the special bulbs all year long I would imagine.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's indoors now. I had to bring him inside because it is dropping too low at night now. I was just wondering if there's some bulbs for a 4ft shoplight fixture, that can get the job done. I have him on a shelf underneath my plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Oct. 01 2005,6:21)]I was just wondering if there's some bulbs for a 4ft shoplight fixture, that can get the job done.
    I am sure there are but you're deffinately talking about a specialized bulb and it's not something you will find in your homecenter.

Reptile bulbs from the pet shops come in 4' length
    DrFosterSmith reptile bulb
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Petco and Petsmart stores should also have some stuff, if you don't want mail order..
    Our friend Mike Howlett runs an excellent business for reptile supplies:

http://www.houstonherp.com/DryGoods.htm

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast