Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank a hunter and an angler today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler_mt, I agee with you 100% I'm an avid fisherman and I believe without fisherman and hunters some of the lakes and forests would be long gone due to pollution and and other activities.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to fish...but quit because the thought of tearing up their mouths with a hook, even a barbless one, bothered me. Even though I was a catch and release person. I felt I was subjecting animals to pain for my own entertainment, and I felt, for ME, that it was wrong.

I have absolutely nothing against hunting or fishing. I just couldn't pull the trigger. These sportsmen provide a valuable service. And their license fees go towards conservation. I wish environmentalists and hunters/fishers would form some sort of compact...we all want the same outcome, and together could be an un-beatable force for habitat protection. I don't care if the guy pulling the trigger on the deer is thinking about conservation...the death of that one deer might help the rampant over-grazing of the forest that goes on in my area.

By the way, folks...the house of representatives voted to gut the endangered species act. Write your senators and tell them that this is stupid and heinous.

PETA is very extreme, and make an excellent foil for the rest of us. They are VERY useful, they make the rest of us look reasonable. They got McDonalds to change the way their "product" is treated while it's still alive. Tyson's, too. Ever seen the video where Tyson's workers are stomping chickens to death, throwing them against walls, etc.? PETA made that video, and Tyson got fined half to death. Yay for PETA.

The department of homeland security has now made filming in animal processing plants "an act of terrorism." Hmmmmmmm......

The senate recently passed a law barring the slaughter of horses for food. The meat is shipped to Europe, where it is regarded as a delicacy. I think it was a stupid move...now where are all these unwanted horses going to end up? Horses have been used as food since the dawn of man-kind. There are even a couple of breeds, the Breton being one of them, that were specifically bred for human consumption.

"Wild" horses don't belong on this continent at all. Neither do sheep and cattle. They aren't native, and they cause massive destruction to the western range. I've no problem with the culling of wild horses. I wish, at the same time, they'd cull cattle and sheep. I'm thinking that cattle and sheep cause the most damage, just because of the way they graze, and because there are more of them, and most ranchers don't practice sustainable grazing programs. Some do...and the native wildlife/plants flourish on their ranches. And their cattle and sheep are fat and sassy. And they make money.

JMO.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most anglers won't care if a stream is too fouled to support a wild trout population if it's stocked with something they can catch. Otherwise anglers might be screaming about trout disappearing from streams that are too warm or too silted up because of clearing, paving, development, or any number of other things. They're pacified by pale hatchery trout and think "environmentalists" are wackos for wanting to preserve watersheds and restrict roadbuilding and so on. Trout Unlimited is an exception, but it's too elitist for most people.

I quit fishing a few years ago after being an avid fisherman most of my life. With the last many years being catch-and-release. But my thinking has changed like April's and now catch-and-release seems twisted. Big animal torments small animal for entertainment, then lets it go. Then torments another. For even more entertainment, stick the hook in a dog treat and cast it towards the closest puppy. Bet that thing will jump. But be sure to release it after you reel it in.

I don't see anything wrong with fishing or hunting for dinner but it isn't something I do because I'm a vegetarian 364 days every year. Just about everyone in our dog club hunts and most fish. My wife has trained our dogs for field work too and it's really awesome to follow a pointing dog through a field that has quail and pheasants.

Unfortunately, most if not all of the birds the dogs find around here are stocked because there are so many hunters and so little undeveloped open land. And most of those hunters think environmentalists who want to restrict land development are commies. As long as the state wildlife program gives them some state land with birds for them to shoot. Otherwise maybe they'd rise up on their hind legs and clamor for an end to sprawling suburbia.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herenorthere...unfortunately,you are right. It's really sad. That's my favourite one..."environmentalists are commies" LOL! LOL!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=Seandew,Sep. 30 2005,11:30]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Having said that, I have no idea or comprehension about what the Federal duck stamp passage is or how it works.
    Since 1987, all ducks - wild or in cultivation - in the USA are required to get a quality assurance stamp on their bellies within three days of hatching.

Any ducks caught without this stamp may be immediately neutralized without further warning.

<ducking>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about the only fish i care to eat are walleye, sauger and salmon so thats all i fish for. hunting i shoot does just as often as bucks. horns are nice but roasts, tenderloins and jerky is better. as far as fishing in Montana there is tons of support to rid lots of the rivers in the mountains of introduced specied so that they can be restocked with native cutthroat trout. here in the east though, about the only species seeing a threatened or worse status is the pallaid sturgeon and they are getting lots of help even if it isnt a game fish.

364 days a year Bruce? wanna make it 363? i think its the last saturday in January every year the Regina Downtowners Optimist Club in Regina, Saskatchewan have a wild game dinner, Darla and I pay $40 a ticket AND travel 3 hours, usually in a snow storm AND deal with crossing the border to go to it, in the last 3 years the only reason we missed it is cause they roads were blocked with 8-9 foot drifts of snow. a friend of ours is the head cook for it and boy is it worth the trip and the hassel of getting up there. he is that good of a cook.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12