User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For bugweed, pinguiculaman, ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stories, huh?? How's this? Growing sarracenia flava for the first time, all alone, no ther CP'ers anywhere that I knew of. This was a s. flava var. maxima specimen, and was a beautiful yellow green, heavy on the yellow. No other color except the red growing point. One late spring I noticed a strange looking leaf taking shape. It looked like two separate leaves that were "glued" together. As it came up, I noticed one was indeed fused to the other. I had never ever seen this before. When it matured, both leaves expanded, and the hoods opened. Two separate leaves, two separate hoods joined together like "Siamese" leaves. In spite of the fact they were joined at the hip to shoulder, they functioned like any other leaf and caught insects, lived their life, and died back. I have never seen that again in any collection, including my own. THAT was cool!!!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, while we're on the topic of embarassing past failures....

When I was 9 or 10yo, my parents bought a VFT for me. I sat it on a windowsill and watered it like "any other plant." I asked my aunt what I should feed it (she was considered by my family to be God's gift to horticulture). She told me: Raw hamburger or chicken dipped in olive oil.

Needless to say, between baking under the scorching sun of the southern windowsill, irregular watering schedule with tap water, and being fed oil-dipped hamburger piences, the poor thing died what I'm sure was an agonizing death......the earthly equivalent of a plant "hell." [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed - here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

Siames rubra

and

Siamese hybrid
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY similar. However, there were two very distinct leaves, not just one with a distinction in the pitcher top, but two leaves fused bottom to top, two distinct columns to the hood, and two distinct leaves. Bending the tops back and looking straight down from above, it was a near perfect figure 8 with the last 3/8 inches left unjoined. It was perfect, and double topped with very separate and distinct hoods, and double tubed as well.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have tried VFTs for a looooong time... And come to find out I was not killing them... they were going dormant. HA.. (well, most the time...) Anyway- I do happen to have documentation of my last failure, right before I found this site and started my success... Go ahead, and laugh now. This photo was scanned in since i didn't have digital camera back then.

Seems to me this is turing into a "how did you fail back when" topic.. LOL
    Andrew

Edit: Now that I know some stuff, the main problem with this tank was light... But also, getting the "extra" water out of the bottom of the tank was harder than i had planned (that's why it was perlite)

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I have only officially been growing CP's for 3 years I can remember the first CP I got. IT was a venus flytrap I got when I was 6. I begged my parents at meijers for them to buy it for me and I promised them I'd take care of it. I left it ontop of my fish aquarium in a place where it got almost no light and watered it with tap water. In about a week it started to die so I had the grand idea it would be happier if I "planted" it outside. 1 day was all it took for it to be turned into extra crispy fried plant. I never touched another venus flytrap again till my senior year in highschool when I walked into meijers again and they had them there again. This time I was determined to keep it alive. So first thing I did when I got home was read every single website that had anything to do about VFTs. I kept that plant alive for a year and a half till it had an encounter with a squirrel and to this day I hate those vermin.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic has been returned to sanity.

Stop that! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12