User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For bugweed, pinguiculaman, ....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 60's, when you guys got started, how is it that you were successful with growing CP's, when the cultivation techniques (water, soil media, air circulation, dormancy) was essentially unknown and the instructions on the pots or kits were incredibly incomplete?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trial and error, and error, and error, and error, and then more error. In 1964 a book was written by Lynn and Gray Poole on the subject of carnivorous plants and growing them. Mostly geared to terrarium growing, and fairly well written for its day. The water question was the key, and away I went. If only we knew about hibernacula in those days. Threw away several d. rotundifolias because they "died" on me. Little did I know..........................
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tamlin had before told me stories of using the USPS... Send a letter, and hope to get an answer by the next month. I'd say it's true, we have it very easy today. But on the same token, many have gotten lazy and not willing to try what's not the "known" way to do things....
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Info r us---------------TERRAFORUMS!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I think of all those plants that die in the garden centers (nowadays) and the people whp try once and give up right away, with all the information (internet, Savage Garden, ...) it's amazing anybody growing them 2-4 decades ago has gotten through the trial and much error.

I was given a VFT kit when I was like 12 and killed the plant within weeks. I killed another when I was 17, 30, and 40, without knowing anything about tap water, air circulation, dormancy, open tray, etc... I thought they all had to be done in a terrarrium for humidity sake. If I hadn't stumbled upon this discussion forum, while just trying to get genus and species name of what turned out to be D. spatulata, I would never have known.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was about 13 I got a vft. I put a bug in every trap, gave it well water and made the traps close over and over. Needless to say, It had a quick death.

When I was about 26 I tried again. It came with intsructions. Plenty of sunlight and distilled water. I wanted to make sure this one survived, so I babied it. I didn't want the hot sun to burn the plant or I didnt want it to get too hot so I kept it inside, on top of a window AC unit. There was a window there that let a little bit of sunlight in.
    Even though the instructions said distilled water only, I decided that my well water didn't have the chemicals that tap water had, so it would be fine. Needless to say, this one died just as fast as the first one.

Now for the embarrassing part. Both times I unsussessfully grew vft's I lived in southeastern NC. Right in the middle of the range of vft's. All I had to do was just put them outside and leave them alone and they would have been happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I remember when I joined the hobby... I got my plants from Peter Pauls. All my info came from Gardenweb and the CP Listserve. N. hamata couldn't be had for under $100, and half the Neps, Utricularia, and Pinguicula we grow today were hardly in cultivation.

Peter
    the cellist

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet a lot of the long-time growers could tell some interesting stories about growing CPs "back when."
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast