What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a totally serious post

Nope, standard old birth defect. The original owner was a breeder who tried something or other to get them as straight as possible back when Colin was first hatched and according to the paperwork, this was the best the breeder could do. The bird was taken to a specialty vet back when it had no eyes. I have no idea what "back when it had no eyes" means and I wasn't about to ask because quite frankly... I didn't want to know. I looked at the paperwork and the paperwork clearly listed a vet's name who allegedly stated the bird would never walk or be able to perch with a suggestion that a cage be provided that had more ground area. This is the last bird out of all she had to find a good home and the people actually clapped when I came in this evening as they figured I would be a no show.  They are going to "board" my bird for an additional fee of $35 for one week so that I can coordinate shipping. I am told their normal boarding fee is $45 with a cage and $55 without a cage so I should feel "special" considering I traded the used cage I had bought for a used airline approved vented carrier. They wanted to know if I was interested in a pygmy goat. I laughed in their faces and told them not to even think about bringing it out from the kennel to show me as I was in enough trouble as it was. They told me the original owner was a diabetic and is deceased and they brought it out anyway.  Cutest darn little thing but unless it meows, I'm not interested.

ah ok. very glad to hear it. wat kind of pet are you thinkig about then?

I'm interested in a companion cat for one we have here named Elliott who was bonded to Bastian.  Elliott stopped eating the day Bastian died and we had to go get appetite stimulant shots for him. He's eating now but after we all go to bed, he starts walking around meowing at the top of his lungs. These are no ordinary meows either. They are blood curdling "pelt them out one after the next" type meows. Elliott is in his mid to late teens I believe and I'm going to need another older highly socialized cat for him. His very loud screaming at around midnight looking for Bastian is piercing the darkness to say the least. We go and get him and stick him in bed with us but he just starts wandering around again at around 5 am wailing. We think this will stop if we can find the right cat. Our other cats aren't particularly interested in having anything to do with Elliott and they never have been.

Laura, I think you should get a kitten. The reason I think this is: Once upon a time, when I was living by myself, I only had 3 cats. Spot, Puma, and Mikey.

Spot and Puma were best buddies, they hung out, curled up together..leaving Mikey out in the cold. I was Mikey's cat friend, LOL! But I realised that Mikey was lonely for some 4 legged companionship. So, from a friend, I got a kitten that i named Ruby Jean Parnell, in hopes that she would bond with Mikey.

And that's how it worked out. They became best buddies...she would pounce on him, he would gently play with her, and when she grew up, they were always with each other. They were best friends until the day I had to have Mikey put down, which is still the most awful day I've ever had.

Get a kitten! They put the life right back into those older ones.

I don't like kittens at all. They shouldn't be declawed until they are at least 6 months old and by then I would have gone through 100 pairs of panty hose. Forget it, I don't like being scaled like Mt. Everest because it hurts and I end up with little blood spots all up and down my legs and back. My cats find them extremely annoying too. My cats don't want their lives perked up to that extent, they like being slugs. I have a few cats here that are pretty shy. If there was a kitten here, they'd never come out. I think if we picked up a kitten I'd end up taking it to a taxidermist. You get one and tell me how it goes. I think I'll stick to adult cats. I definitely don't care for yelping pooping peeing puppies either. Come to think of it, I have no great love for flesh loaves either unless they belong to somebody else and are destroying their sleep patterns. One of those was almost the death of me.

Speaking of shy cats, after all these years you finally met Tyson today. How about them apples!  Bet you thought I was nuts when I said I had cats here that never came out unless only the family was home. I doubt you would have ever seen him if he hadn't been sleeping and got trapped in the office. If you had been 30 seconds quicker, you would have seen another one you've never seen. Ivan made his getaway out of the office, through that other room, into the living room, around into the entryway, then he shot down into the basement.  Close call for Ivan. He almost got spotted by somebody other than the family. We call Ivan our closet case. He's the one that is the most shy of the lot, even more so than Dexter.

Hi 0zzy,

Colin went out overnight express via Delta. He will allegedly be on your doorstep tomorrow by 3pm.

He was bathed on Monday for what that's worth given he is going to be sitting in a crate to get to you. The groomer said to just use regular warm water to clean him up a few days after he arrives and that no soap was necessary.

There is an additional package coming to you USPS Priority that may or may not need a signature. The box has a new bird carrier in it if you ever need to go to the vet as well as new bird supplies, toys, a comfort fuzzy sleeping nest, toys, food bowls, and food for Colin. The used air crate is yours as are all the contents of the box.

Please take a moment to let me know when he arrives tomorrow.

Best wishes to you and Thank you.
Laura

editing to add I waived signature on Colin to avoid the possibility of him getting hung up over the weekend and not delivered until Monday.

Ok, so it won't come throught the post office?
There should be somebody here anytime after 1:30.

If they just leave him on my doorsteps he should be ok, because it's not going to be hot tomorrow.

I'll let you know tomorrow when I get home how he's doing.

I got home from work at 3pm. It was already sitting on my doorstep.

Bird was fine but scared. It had no food or water. So I filled up the food and water trays, and left him alone for awhile.

A little while ago I took him out and held him. He was still scared but calmed down pretty quick. He even cood (SP?) a few times.

Yes, they told me their targert delivery time was 2:45. That was as close as I could get to the 3:30pm on Friday you wanted without sending you over to the Atlanta airport after working all day to retrieve the bird. There were issues with flight times in to Atlanta and then there was the issue of trying for Saturday and risking a screw up and having Colin sitting in some terminal until Monday.  I figured worse case scenario would be that Saturday was still there as a buffer if they didn't get him to you this afternoon. Delta did a good job. They did everything they said they would.

The water I removed before I shipped him. I didn't want it wetting him down in case it was drafty. He's healthy other than the legs and I was told he could easily make it 24 hours without water and that doves can go much longer and often do. There was a little bit of food in there but only the bare minimum for a snack basically as I didn't want it spilling out and getting intermixed with his birdie do do. Because the bird can't perch, they changed his cage paper twice a day and there wasn't going to be anyone around to change his litter. Speaking of clean cages, they were using butcher paper the first time I saw him and plain old brown grocery bags cut to the size of the cage the other times so I wouldn't buy any special cage paper and definitely do not incur the expense of purchasing the material he was shipped in as he doesn't need it now

So, you had your first Father/Bird converstion, eh. Sort of heart warming to see how responsive he can be. Wait until he's more settled in when you take him out and stroke him and he tries to reciprocate by preening your finger or hand. He really seems to love attention. Oh how I wish I could have kept that bird. I'm glad big old mushy you took him. Now you have a differently-abled skink and a differently-abled bird. When can I send the goat? Just kidding, I didn't adopt the goat.

Back