User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think you could grow lfs in a jar?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew some live lfs in a bag. Tell me, does the lfs need to be cut back and the pieces left in the same container? Because the lfs strands only seem to grow to a certain height and don't spread too much across the soil.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it Tamlin that wrote about cutting off the tips of the sphagnum and putting them in another growing medium to further propogate them?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want live sphagnum moss, all you need to do is take a bag of dried moss, line the bottom of a clear container (like a tank or tub), some pour water over it to get it nice and wet, put it under light or in sun (but don't let it get real hot or it will fry) and...wait. Don't let the moss dry out. The dead moss will regenerate. This takes some time...weeks to months. But I have always put a layer of dried LFS on the bottom of my tanks (just to increase humidity) and it always starts growing and turns into a thick carpet of live moss after a while.

Since it regenerates from the top layer, a broader, thinner layer of dead moss will net you more moss. If its in a jar, you will only get what will grow from the top (maybe sides if its clear and gets good light).

Hope that helps. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's the real deal! For some reason I had it being sealed.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes, you can semi-seal it. My tanks are all 85-90% covered so the humidity is high but air can get in.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always thrown LFS into a ziploc, added water, and placed the sealed bag in bright shade. Several months later, PRESTO!! Live LFS, ready to use. Many methods, but like PAK warned, direct sun will cook LFS beautifully.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12