User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think you could grow lfs in a jar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

if you put shpagnum peat mos or dried lfs in a jar with water and closed the lid and put it in sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it would grow like that after awhile. however your chance of growth would increase if you used something a little bigger that a jar. And humidity inside the jar might be enough without the lid if it had lots of water in it.

Zac

P.S. I don't think sphagnum peat would result in Moss as it is very decomposed moss
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not direct sun, but certainly, yes. You'd need LFS - I've never seen or heard of sphagnum springing back from peat. I grow sphagnum by putting LFS and a few live strands in shallow tupperware containers and then covering them with the cheap plastic bags you get in the produce department of grocery stores. I water them once and then leave them under my lights for a few months, and when I check back they're full of live sphagnum. Without live strands to start with, your batch will take longer to get going, but it should work regardless. If you'd like, I can send you a few strands to get started for a SASE. PM me for my address.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have some but thaks if i ever need any ill remember any way i put lfs and shpagnum peat in two seperate bags with water under a tree see how it works ill put som live lfs in their too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to get some very small dark green shoots from peat, probably because of larger chunks of sphagnum that get mixed in. Anyhow, Seedjar's method will definately yield good results, as I do the same. Unfortunately, a small parrot chewed, trampled and defecated upon one of my crops. Oh well. Same bird also damaged a recovering N. x ventrata. Some animals...

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plantakiss had a very simple approach and I don't remember how she phrased it, but it was something to the effect of taking the bag of dried and add water. Seal, and place in the sun. Wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always like to use tubberware. i use the tubberware from a restraunt so it has a clear lid. dont forget to fan your plants from time to time if you use a lid. air exchange is important.
    Quit reading my mind!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (losfreddy @ Oct. 03 2005,11:37)]i always like to use tubberware. i use the tubberware from a restraunt so it has a clear lid. dont forget to fan your plants from time to time if you use a lid. air exchange is important.
    And that's the concept to which PAK refers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast