User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you using firefox.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ......why do you prefer it to IE? i recently downloaded it and so far have noticed minimal superiority over IE, am i missing something? i do prefer it to IE when running on dial-up instead of DSL as it will upload all the text first and than start working on pictures and does so much more efficiantly than IE.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXTENIONS, EXTENSIONS, EXTENSIONS! (+ tabbed browsing and security... and I'm sure I'll come up with more)

Through extensions or downloads, does IE allow you to block out all ads on the web? I haven't seen one in weeks because of a continually updated list of ad sites.

Through extensions or downloads, does IE let you control iTunes while browsing with a control bar as part of the window?

Through extensions or downloads, does IE let your browser read the webpage you're viewing out loud in case you're just too tired to read or want to lie back and listen?

Those are just a few I use and there are hundreds more for whatever you could want.

In addition to extensions, it's much safer:

vs.

It's endlessly customizable, tabbed browsing is sooo much easier (e.g. you can use 3 pages as your homepage simultaneously) and it's just more fun to use.

Also, since it's open source, if a problem is found, everyone can work on a fix for it and depending on its criticality, a patch may be released the next day. This stands in stark contrast to IE which won't even acknowledge vulnerabilities.

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This website says it a lot better than I can:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Firefox features the Gecko browser rendering technology that offers 100% W3C standards compliance and is constantly updated thanks to it being open source. It contains support for the latest web technologies including CSS2 and XHTML. Since it has no ActiveX support, there's no fear of any surreptitiously installed crapware on your machine. The browser has a far fewer number of bugs than Internet Explorer, making it even an more secure alternative. This is not to say that Firefox has no bugs, but the fact that its open source lets the entire community go through the cycle of detection, patching and release in an extremely short amount of time - as short as a few hours to one day. Firefox's built-in seamless automatic updates feature makes possible the adoption of new versions and/or patches.

The browser was also written to be easy to extend by writing plugins, known as extensions. With XUL programming, extension developers can modify Firefox anyhow they wish, be it a complete makeover by themes, or significant functional extensions. Out of the box, the browser doesn't support a huge list of features other than tabbed browsing and integrated download management, etc., however, the popularity of the extension model makes it the most versatile browser out there. Almost anything you want can be had in the form of an extension.
    ~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhh i see, i just havent played with it enough to figure out all the stuff. thanks for the info Brett
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE = Internet Exploder

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with just about everything brett said. My main reason for using it is the open source/free part. I'm using the new beta version right now and loving it. I'm all about the freedom of the internet. As a student free programs go a long way. If anyone is interested in free software here are some links:

Word processor:

Open Office (excellent program kick's word's butt anyday)
    http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0rc/index.html

Anything Google: If anyone is interested in using all the new google programs I have 100 invites to create a google account (You must be invited by an existing member) PM me your e-mail and i'll send one.

those are my favs i'll post more later,

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always herd about this "open source" "user edditable" but never really could figure it out. Then yesterday, Ozzy needed some help fixing where Yahoo changed some features on it that he didn't like. Not only did I fix his problem. I was able to figure out the one thing I hated about firefox, that is that the search starts with google. I'm prolly one of the only people you'll ever meet (lol) that doesn't care for google. Anyway, yesterday I found how to make Yahoo the first search option. Simply awesome! Now, I know how to get to that option screen, I just might see about changing more stuff to my liking. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get Firefox? Download it?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast