User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuffling off to buffalo (again!)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier this year my wife lost her job as Children's Minister and has been in an active job search ever since. Many opportunities arose and then went away. For awhile we thought we might stay where we are or any number of other places in Pennsylvania or Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, a few in Michigan, and a few in Minnesota. But the only one left standing is a smallish Wesleyan Church in East Aurora, NY.

We will be spending the duration of the calendar year in transition from SE PA to WNY. I have been doing a lot of online searching for environmental / laboratory jobs and have had some acknowledgement. My short term prospects are to transfer to a local Home Depot for p/t work, while I pester the labs in the area for a real job, which I hope will happen down the road.

What to do with the plants is a big question mark. I have been spoiled by keeping the majority of them at the lab, at those window sills and the free access to DI water. I don't think I will have anything close to those perks when I move.

Any ideas?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude you better not move to Ohio just a couple of months after I left. That would be so wrong if you moved close to where I was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O-kay...... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] Well, that would have been in Lancaster, Ohio, near Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its amaizing how well plants grow under 4 foot flourecents. im running 8 or 10 pairs of T8's and havent seen much of an increase in my electric bill. the AC pulls more juice then they do. fixtures were about $8 apiece and 10 bulbs for $20 at HD.even my VFT was quite compact and dark green with blood red inside the traps
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...if you work part time at HD or Lowes maybe you would get a discount on what you buy (light fixtures, tubes, etc.)

So...this is a definite move? Are you sad to leave Pennsylvania?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not happy about leaving the lab! I wasn't getting rich, mind you, but it was steady and stable. Can't knock the free deionized water and window sills, that's for sure! I'm native to NY, half of it being from Long Island / NYC, and half from Buffalo. I won't miss Berks County and the stoic / cold demeaner of its natives. I'm used to greeting people in the morning and saying goodnight at the end of the workday. Around here, most people just walk past ya.

H.D. doesn't give discounts on anything, unfortuantely. That will just be my way of starting with something and procuring health coverage.

I will miss getting together with Elgecko & JBL, though. All I know living near Buffalo is Scrupbucket. Further east are Tamlin, Tony, and Mr. Chaos. Are there others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a good move Scott
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ya gots the paperwork, I am in the vicinity (about 15 minutes drive from Niagara Falls) so if you are ever doing nay sightseeing, you know the town Bro... bets of luck on the whole process, and maybe we can get together sometime once yer settled in!!
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast