Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avian flu

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the last couple of weeks I've been hearing a lot about the new strain of avian flu (technically "H5-N1" I believe). Tonite CNN had several news reports on it...and its really frightening.

For anyone who hasn't heard...there is a new strain of avian flu breaking out in Asia. It is believed to be the next pandemic that will sweep the world. The last one was the Spanish flu around 1918. That flu killed about 100 million people...5% of the people who got it died and the virus traveled around the world three times. THIS flu is expected to be even worse. At the moment only 60 people have died. These people caught it from birds. The flu has not yet mutated to be able to be tranmitted from human to human but that is expected to happen. Once that happens...and they are quite sure it will...THEN we are in for a rough ride.

They are saying that not 5% but 50% (1 out of 2) of the people who contract it will die. And we are talking millions and millions of people.

- There is no vaccine. Only once the virus mutates can they make vaccine and then it will take about 6 months to make it.
    There will not be enough vaccine to go around as only a few labs can make it.
    - There will not be enough hospitals to handle all the sick people.
    - They may have to quarrantine entire cities to contain it.
    - They will probably have to use the military to enforce the quarrantine.
    - There will probably not be enough people left to run businesses, etc...either from deaths or people being to afraid to go to work.
    - No country is prepared to handle this. The U.S. even less so than some other countries like in Europe.
    - This is not an IF...its a WHEN.

It is considered to be the No. 1 health crisis in the world today. Countries are scrambling to prepare the health industry for this looming epidemic. They said it could happen tomorrow...in 6 months... in a year or so. They aren't sure when...but with its similarity to the Spanish flu...they think this is flu will be the next pandemic (which occur every so many decades). I guess in medieval times it was the Black Plague.

Not very encouraging news for the future.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I guess the only good news is health officials ARE taking this very seriously and are starting NOW to prepare although its not likely we will be anywhere close to prepared once it starts to spread to humans.

Anyone else been hearing about this impending tragedy?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know. Halving the world population might resolve a lot of issues. If everyone is dying, things like class distinction and other prejudices might just completely dissapate. Or the chaos might make them a lot worse.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard a little about this, very little.
    But just going on what Pak said, if it is equal to the spanish flu, it would cause way more problems today then it did back in 1918. Then most people didn't travel more than a few miles from their homes.Today it's common for someone to travel to many cities in one day. Just imagine what would happen if just one infected person, got on an airplane and flew from London to New York. That one person could infect thousands. Then those thosands would continue their flights to cities all over the US and the world. It' could spread like lighting.

AAAHHHHH CCHHEWWW

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Oh no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I've been sneezing this morning. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Yep...that's what they are saying. People move around the world so quickly and so freely now, that they have little hope of containing it to Asia or within any infected city. And they are saying its going to be far worse than the Spanish flu and the population is more dense too. It really doesn't sound good...
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think another problem with the spread of sicknesses, is people no longer call in sick when sick. For some reason our work places generally want us to suck it up and go in to work. All that does is expose many many more people to that. So I'm sure that is not going to help the situation at all. I worked in a call center as a customer service representative for about 3 years, I had never been sick so many times as I was there. But I AM the type to stay home when sick. I'm also the type to sit and talk crap about you if you showed up to work sick. Folks, if you're sick. Stay home. Don't go to work. Don't go to the store. Don't go to the movies....
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my flu and pneumonia shots yesterday. Probably would not protect me against H5-N1 but it is better than nothing. Actually getting a dose of the common flu is not all that bad...stay home, get plenty of rest and drink lots of liquids. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]- No country is prepared to handle this. The U.S. even less so than some other countries like in Europe.
    Would somebody please explain to me just how Europe is better prepared than us? I mean, like 10,000 people died from a heat wave there a couple years back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]stay home, get plenty of rest and drink lots of liquids
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah...that does sound pretty good doesn't it? lol

There is a flu medication called Tamiflu which is pretty effective (so the reports said) against "normal" flu. Although they are not sure it would have ANY effect at all on H5-N1, they feel it MIGHT help some. They won't know until after the virus mutates and they can do tests on it. Apparently European countries have been ordering and stockpiling Tamiflu for a while now so they have a somewhat decent supply of it. That's what they meant by that comment. The US is only NOW ordering the medication and we are on backorder and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list and even then we didn't order much of it. Seems its only ONE lab in Switzerland that makes Tamiflu so...you gotta get in line. European countries were concerned about this flu before the US woke up and realized what a disaster we might be facing so they have been preparing more than we have. But, all that said, supposedly this will be so bad that no country will be fully prepared or capable of handling this because of the massive numbers of people that will get sick.

They also said that laboratories don't like to make vaccines because it is time consuming and they make very little money off of it. So of course its better to let 50% of our country die off as long as they are making good profits on the other drugs they are willing to manufacture.

I wonder if the government needs to set up a NON-PROFIT lab that will manufacture vaccines in massive quantities. Wonder if they ever thought about that? Make medicine out of need, not greed.

I think I'm feeling a lil' feverish...maybe I need to go home... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this flu will affect healthy young people? Or is this only going to affect young babies/kids to old/senior adults? I take it there really isn't enough information on this yet. I wouldn't get so worried yet.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast