What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling sand

Today I bought some vermiculite and leveling sand in HD, is this sand safe for cps?

I've never heard of it, but you can try doing the vineagar / fizz test. And of course a thorough rinsing. What does the bag say about what it is?

It says it contains small amounts of crystalline silicia sand. What's the vinegar/fizz test and will apple cider vinegar work?

I think white vinegar is best. Take some sand and put it in a bowl, then pour vinegar over it. If it fizzes when exposed to vinegar, it might have ingredients like lime that are no good for CPs. If it doesn't fizz, it's probably OK, but I don't think it's a guarantee either. Sand that's just silica or quartz is safe; I don't know what other minerals work.
~Joe

I only had apple cider vinegar and the sand didn't fizz, but I don't think that kind of vinegar is really good for the fizz test lol. I'm going to test it out on some sarrencia seeds to see if it's safe.

Back