What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No one is spared

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So yesterday I got out of bed, walked to the kitchen, and looked out the window to see a squirrel digging in my largest Sarracenia pot. In and of itself, this isn't so strange, but I live three stories up; my Sarracenia are on a porch more than 20 feet off the ground. I've grown used to the jays paying curious little visits, but this is kind of crazy. Nothing is damaged, except a bed of sphagnum; a few smaller pots with VFTs and young Sarrs were tipped but look fine.
This is the second time I've seen a squirrel. The first time, I heard it land on the deck and chased it off before it got to browsing. This time, it was burying peanuts! I don't even know where it would have found the peanuts. So I cursed and shouted and scared the squirrel off (jumped all the way down and hit the ground running, I was shocked.) The jays swept in a few moments later to seize the leftover peanuts.
It's strange, there's no tree that leads to my deck. The squirrels must be climbing to the roof on the opposite side of my building and traversing the roof to get to my patio. I've been here for a year now and they just found out about my porch. I hope they don't bring friends!
So, I guess my little garden in the sky isn't invulnerable after all... now to go to the hardware store and get a rig for some bird netting.
~Joe

Dang, who knew that squirrels liked CPs! Perhaps you should give him a Venus Flytrap of his own so he'll stay away from yours
smile_m_32.gif

Do Venus Flytraps like peanuts? Hmmm.......

I find land mines more effective than anything else. It's rather hard to hit the ground running when you don't have any legs!

-D. Lybrand

I don't know about your squirrels, but here they climb the house itself.   And nothing i can do makes them leap so far that they hit the ground running.  They're downright menacing.  I swear that one of these days there's going to be a squirrel revolution.  Then all those morons who FEED the squirrels will regret it.  Just you wait.

I had to put screen over all my outside plants or i would regularly find them carefully uprooted and desiccated.  The screen doesn't keep out the raccoons, though.  And they climb the fire escape ladders to get up to the roof.  It's a freakin' jungle here.

My raccoon tale of woe

Back