What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Python problem

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
This python thing is getting out of hand.  Ozzy...HELP.

http://www.local10.com/news/5080737/detail.html

Be sure to read these stories listed just below the photo.
-Prowling Python eats Siamese cat
-Python’s stomach ruptures after it eats a big gator
-Python Pete on trail of everglades snakes

I think they should start an aggressive program to eradicate them. People in other states complain about invasive species but I don't think the ones in those states get 20 feet long and eat your dog and your grandma. We're having the same sort of problem in central Florida. One of the local shelters just euthanized nile monitor lizards (wild caught) to make room for pythons (wild caught). I think the problem is stupid pet owners who just throw out the animal without thinking of the consequences - this is why people get up in arms about banning certain animals for pets. Another case of a few idiots ruining it for a large number of responsible people.

take a rifle out and not only will yah have some decent meat to BBQ if yah get a big one, you also have some good leather.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I was just watching the six o'clock news and we got another one.
Police were called to a South Dade home where they found a ten foot African Rock python which when captured regurgitated a turkey that belonged to a guy up the street.  Police said this was a very aggressive snake that tried to attack a channel 10 newswoman.
Lordy, I love South Florida.

Everyone attacks the media, so why single out the snake for criticism? Channel 10 isn't Fox, so I'm guessing the snake isn't a liberal. But we knew that already because it swallowed a friggin turkey whole. That snake's a Republican.

is it getting to be the political season Bruce? yah seem to be warming up for a good fight..........er...........i mean......um......heated disscution?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Well the first thing that should be done is to fine out how many are in Fla, and take them out of the wild. I know that means that a lot of snakes will have to die, and it's a rare situation, if I say a snake must die. But they don't belong there.
You can't blame the snake, they are just doing what they are meant to do, survive. The pet owners have to be held responsible. I would be in favor of requiring licenses for pet owners of python, boa, or even any nonnative snake in Florida.
Part of the license should require a home visit to make sure that the person has the proper space for the snake. There should be periodic checks to make sure the owner still has possession of the snake. And if any time the owner can't prove that they still have the snake there should be a huge fine.

Now I want to see the video of the snake attacking the news woman.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Everyone attacks the media, so why single out the snake for criticism? Channel 10 isn't Fox, so I'm guessing the snake isn't a liberal. But we knew that already because it swallowed a friggin turkey whole. That snake's a Republican.

rofl
laugh.gif
Well...that was a good laugh for a stressful day. Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to fine out how many are in Fla.....and it's a rare think if I say a snake must die.

Ozzy...are you suffering from allergies like SarraceniaScott??
smile_m_32.gif

As usual its the animal who suffers when the human caretakers are sloppy and irresponsible.

By the way...can snakes interbreed? Like a rock python with a another type of python? Or a boa with a python? (Boathon?)

boas can not breed with pythons however depending on species involved boas can cross with different boas and pythons with different pythons. theoreticly a rock python should be able to breed and produce viable ofspring with reticulated pythons and burmese pythons. and possibaly blood pythons and ball pythons. i know there are man made hybrids of burms and retics.

Fixed alphaw, I mean Pak.

As the article said, fifty percent of the time the snake wins and fifty percent of the time the gator wins.  Consequently, since there are many more gators than snakes, the pythons eventually dissappear.

Now, if a python and a gator ever got amorus...THAT would create a problem.
biggrin.gif

That would make a... Pythonator! Sort of like a reptilian Terminator.
laugh.gif
So you better watch out! That could be quite lethal.

That would be true if the new generations came only from breeding. But the with snakes becoming a more common pet, there will be a bigger supply of snakes than gators.most of the gators born are eaten and do not survive to adulthood. But pythons are released after they have already grown to adults. So you have to look at the ratio of adult gators and adult pythons to get some idea. Of course that is not known.

And, if that pythonator hooked up with a cottonmouth, there'd be poisonous pythonators. Where is Alphawolf anyway?

Back