What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new pet can eat ozzys pet..........

On which would win I think it all depends who you drop into who's web!
smile_n_32.gif

I think Ozzy's widow has an edge as widow webs are incredibly strong and not to mention they are 3D...LOL!

i think thats a giant rear tick........:laugh:

It's actually an orb weaving spider, possibly of the genus Araeneus (spelling). It looks like a gravid female and they are pretty common in your parts. Their webs can be found in the doorways and rafters of barns and are often strung between trees in open forests. You'll typically find them in the usual meadow or tall grass and shrubs and large flower gardens. They're harmless and make superb pets if you can provide a large screened enclosure for them to spin their beautiful webs. Size wize they are much larger than widow spiders (Latrodectus) and can throw out silk in sheets as wide as a bandaid when tackling prey. It's hard to say who would win a battle between the widow or the orb weaver. They're both at the top of their game.

Got an orb spider right outside my back door. The wife has me turn the porch light on occasionally to attract gnats and other insects into the web. Fascinating watching them weave their web.

Looks like them darn flood things from Halo 2. The worst scum of the universe! Things gave me nightmares, but otherwise I like spiders. Although, I hate it when the ones around here feed on gamma rays and watch lord of the rings. Then, they get the CRAZY idea to build giant @%$ spider webs 6' (one single web) across on commonly walked pathways for unsuspecting people to walk into
mad.gif
. I AM NOT KIDDING!

thanks for the info Phil. i have seen them before. this one was just large enough to really get my attention. the wife hates spiders so i turned it loose shortly after taking the pics.

ive found soemthign like that in SD in my bakyard and around my school. i think its an invasion. i saw three in one day once, at three different places.

Back