What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I sugdest you prepare yourselves

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date
I've alwways felt that there ought to have been a professional sports team, like when they had (World Team Tennis) called the San Andreas Fault!  
smile_m_32.gif

A bunch of 4s might mean enough pressure was released in phases to avoid a 9. Who knows.

An increase of 1 magnitude releases >30 times as much energy. So it would take 1,000 4's to release the energy of a 6 and 32,000,000 to release the energy of a 9. A 9 sure would shake things up.

Wow, in that case I have nothing comforting to say.
smile.gif

I would respect this Turi guy a lot more if he happened to post all his failures alongside all his successes, but it's probably safe to assume he hasn't done that.

Endparenthesis, you're probably right. I don't know how long he's been doing this though, but for the past couple of months that he's been making right on predictions (although I remember one about a police announcement about two months ago that didn't really hit). He does, however, make no money from this, so he earns respect in that right, on top of his accuracy. I'm not worried about the 4.0's in cali because he said it would happen, because he didn't really. I'm just worried it might be building up to something bigger, although it could just be relieving pressure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Oct. 19 2005,8:54)]Wow, in that case I have nothing comforting to say.
smile.gif

I would respect this Turi guy a lot more if he happened to post all his failures alongside all his successes, but it's probably safe to assume he hasn't done that.
The thing is 'Dr' Turi hasn't actually made any convincing predictions.  They are usually so vague and nonspecific that they could encompass just about anything.  For example, he says he predicted the events of 9/11 and this is frequently quoted as his biggest 'hit'.  What he actually wrote can be read here: http://www.drturi.com/911page.php

This has to be viewed in perspective.  Each of his publications, annual and otherwise, is approximately 300 pages long and probably includes hundreds of these so-called predictions, a huge majority of which are obviously (fortunately) never realised.  These are conviniently ommitted from his webpage, of course.

Regarding him not making money from this, see here and here.

I also find it funny how all of his books have really high average reviews on Amazon.com, with practically all the positive reviews posted by members who seemingly registered just to give his work a 5/5.  These all get very low "did you find this helpful" scores, whereas the few bad reviews (most by established members who have rated other items) are almost unanimously considered helpful and reliable.  Little fishy, don't ya think?

Example here.

That's all part of why psychics don't get any respect in the first place. Scientists are trained from the beginning to look at things epistemologically and that they should be constantly validating and re-validating themselves. But since psychics don't usually get trained in any time-tested way, they aren't even aware that this kind of thing is necessary (which goes for religious beliefs as well... I haven't met many highly religious people who've seriously tested their beliefs or are aware that such a process is even valuable). A few of them thankfully get lucky and have read about critical thinking or happened to enter fields where it was expected of them (like medicine).

When they finally figure out they need to do that, they could have a whole new image in the public eye.

It's not even clear what a psychic is in the public eye, actually. It's a weird blanket term that doesn't really mean anything. The whole fortune-telling thing is a very small part of it, and in my experience isn't even fully possible, because the future is malleable, if not totally unwritten. And it isn't like some people are psychic and some people aren't... it's more like some people have let a "muscle" atrophy that they never knew they had.

Oh, 'Dr' Turi certainly has qualifications.  He received a "metaphysical Doctorate from the Progressive Universal Life Church based in Sacramento, California". Can't argue with that.

Even Einstein didn't have one of those.

Epistemologically... big word points. For the ignorant like me...

Main Entry: epis·te·mol·o·gy
Pronunciation: i-"pis-t&-'mä-l&-jE
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek epistEmE knowledge, from epistanai to understand, know, from epi- + histanai to cause to stand -- more at STAND
: the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity

I learned something today.
smile.gif

I don't think Dr. Turi is actualy a "psychic" . You guys should've listened to last night's show on coasttocoast. Very interesting, as they had Turi on again, and a host of other personalities talking about earth changes, more specificly earthquakes.

ok Ive yet to see a report of some other big earthquake
looks liek this amazing guy isnt so amazing after all
smile_l_32.gif

Naturally he'll report this miss on his website for the sake of intellectual integrity...

He predicteded the earthquakes for the 15, 16, 17 which was quite a while ago. There was a lot of activity during that period, so I count that a hit. Go ahead and check his website. I believe a 7 struck north of Taiwan on the 15th, but the media didn't catch on to it. He did predict the hurricane for the 22, 23, 24 period. That's a hit. His next predictions?

As of November 8th there is a "super nova window" (a.k.a. Mercury retrograde) which will bring negative energies, he warned. Specifically, he mentioned these dates and descriptions:

November 8th-- A big explosion or earthquake.
November 19th-- Lots of people will be forced to relocate or restart a new life.
November 29th— An ugly energy involving death for many innocent people

He was reluctant to hint at the possibility that there might be a terrorist attack around these dates.

As mentioned previously, relatively strong earthquakes are no rare occurence in the California region. Also, there have already been 22 hurricanes this season, the most in recorded history. There is a hurricane moving across the Atlantic almost all the time; as one dissipates another forms. Hardly a 'hit'.

I'll be impressed if he can clearly and consistently predict things we don't expect.  Say a hurricane in Hudson Bay, a volcano in Florida, or a gay wedding at a Baptist church in Dallas.

Unfortunately, predicting a "big explosion or earthquake", or that "lots of people will be forced to relocate or restart a new life" or "death for many innocent people" is almost as safe as predicting the sun will shine somewhere tomorrow.

Oh man... he predicted what would happen after I ate at Old Country Buffet... 'scuse me...

-groan-

Then you guys predict a large event, and get the date right down to 3 day. After you do that, come back to me, and then make your arguments. Until then, you are ignoring the mathematic probability of predicting significant events down to what they are and when they will occur. I dont care if you dont like or believe in people who make predictions and prophecy, but I don't like it when some take the side of ignorance, ignoring facts and signs that are plain as day to see in order to satisfy their beliefs, and justify it with what can only be described as lame excuses for how easy it is to predict major events. Saying you can predict an earthquake means nothing. Saying you can predict a large scale earthquake, predict the timing down to 3 days, and get it right is completely different, and you are not going to do it. So please stop saying that. It's relatively annoying.

I predicted that you'd say it was annoying, and you're making the fact that the majority of people posting don't believe in your DR. (and I use the word loosely) Turi a very large event. There is no sense in continuing to try to convince anyone. If you know that you and the doc are right leave it at that. Sit back and relax and just let the nonbelievers blindly live out their life sucking in the negative dragon energy and being unprepared for the majority of things life throws at us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sit back and relax and just let the nonbelievers blindly live out their life sucking in the negative dragon energy and being unprepared for the majority of things life throws at us.

Hehe, that's fine
biggrin.gif
. I am just responding to the arguments recently made. Understand, I am not angry that some disagree, nor should I be. I dont care if you disagree, in fact its a good thing. The ne-sayers can always bring something new to the table. It just makes no sense to try to debunk something by using the most half-a** arguments you can think of. Argue and debate over it all you wont, but please dont come at me with some half-a** arguments. Make them good ones, with good evidence to back them up! That's all I'm saying.

Back