Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy birthday to

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday, Bobby! Got Panchax? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Bobby! Have a good one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jerry

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks guys. Panchax, wow haven't heard that one in a long while. The old name for killifish. I even have a booklet from the 50's entilted Panchax. I always sort of liked it.

Bobby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! We're the same vintage! You may have had one of those, "Know your... or Enjoy your..." Do you have the old Tropical Fish Hobbyist textbook, with the picture of the Bettas on the front cover? I had the one with the Platys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

You bet I had the book from the Pet Library Enjoy Your Killifish. It was and is a great little book. I have the whole series by that company and am now friends with most of the authors I worshipped as a kid! Bruce Turner is one of the great ichthyologists today and Al Klee just published a 2 volume 800 page collection of all his fish articles from the last 50 years. You still can't beat alot of the Pet Library information and most of it was far better than TFH -- unless TFH was translating German books. The PL authors like Rosario LaCorte, Gene Wolfsheimer, Carroll Friswold, **** Haas and Joanne Norton were the very best around -- classics. Today's Barron books rival the old PL books but many of those are authored by German hobbyists. PL was the American hobby in its golden age.

I'm not sure which TFH book you mean -- The Encyclodepia of Tropical Fish maybe with the bettas spawning? That was my second big book after Innes' great book Exotic Aquarium Fish. I loved the Innes book and Gunther Sterba's masterpiece Freshwater Fishes of the World with its photos of annual killies diving into peat moss to lay their eggs.

You know Axelrod was just let out of jail for tax evasion or something after paying 50 million to cover all civil suit awards, fines and lawyer fees. What a sad way to finish one's life.

Bobby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TFH book I was referring to is the binder that had the basic pages with a synopsis of the care of individual fish, but also acommodated the supplements that came with the TFF magazine. I think we're talking about the same thing.

I remember the Innes book, but I didn't own a copy. Too bad about Dr. Axelrod. He was one of my childhood fish geroes, along with Vordwinkler, Pronek, and Rodney Jonklaas - the guy who took all thsoe pictures.

Did you prefer TFH or FAMA? Do you remember the column called, "From Guppies to Groupers" or "Mail Call"? Been Awhile for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast