Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polyphasic sleep / uberman sleep schedule test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate blogs but this is pretty cool! Nick Busey is attempting to switch to a Uberman sleep schedule (Wikipedia - "...a sleep pattern specification intended to compress sleep time to 2-5 hours daily. This is achieved by spreading out sleep into short (around 20-45 minute) naps throughout the day. This allows for more waking hours with relatively high alertness.") This has been attempted before but few people fully succeed. I really hope he does as this could have major implication on my life! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

~ Brett

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canadian author Farley Mowat described something like that, maybe in Never Cry Wolf. He also turned a few circles before each nap, the way wolves and dogs do it. He mentioned one major implication was its effect on someone sharing the bed.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average person couldn't do this since they have to work. I do remember seeing a news report a few years ago that said studies showed that employees who had a 15 minute nap in the afternoon showed a big boost in productivity. But I'm sure 99.9% of employers would only see it as "15 minutes of not working" and not look at the benefits of more energized, productive workers.

That wouldn't work for me because it takes me a long time to get to sleep...sometimes many hours. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 18 2005,4:13)]*chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!
    It takes practice.

But it can be done.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]*chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!
    Actually, it's quite funny, but I can do that. Sometimes I lie down for a nap in the afternoon, I sleep for what feels like a reeeally long period, but then when I fully wake up and feel ready to get up I look and it's only been 15 minutes. I'm not claiming I could replace a good night's sleep with this, but it has saved my butt a number of times! And still there are a couple of things that you need to watch you for, things that can cause some big problems. For one, there's "sleep inertia," it's pretty much what it sounds like; a 15 minute nap is fine, but if you enter a deep sleep you can be more groggy than you started out. Also related to that is dehydration. I don't know if this is the way it goes for anyone else, but sometimes I get severely dehydrated during a longer nap and when I wake up I feel sick, my mouth is dry, and I'm more groggy than before. Mmmm naps... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now there's another guy doing this. I hope one of them pulls it off...

~ Brett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast